Higher-resolution WAV files needed

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, i'm a relatively new user of Photosounder, & already i'm finding it a fascinating compositional tool. But i have a question that's arisen today.

i was hoping to generate some material that lies in the range 18-24kHz. Now, Photosounder is clearly able to cope with this, as the Max. frequency dial will go as high as 26kHz. BUT, as Photosounder will only save in WAV format at the standard rate of 44.1kHz, this obviously means that i'm well exceeding the Nyquist frequency, & so anything above 22,050Hz will not be accurately represented in the WAV file.

Is it possible that a future release of Photosounder could allow for higher-resolution WAV files to be generated? My preference would be 96kHz, & an option for 24- or 32-bit would be the icing on the cake.

Has anyone else considered this?

Are you making music for bats? I wish I could hear anywhere near that high.

Ha! No, it's a specific effect i want to tap into in some other material i'm putting together. The whole point is that the material will only be partially audible.

It doesn't change the fact, though, that Photosounder is currently able to produce frequencies beyond a point that it can accurately save.

Incidentally, test yourself - i bet you find you can hear a bit beyond 18kHz :wink:

See my reply in the other topic about modifying the sampling rate in the config.txt file!

Also, glad anyone has any use for me allowing the limit to go up to 26 kHz! For some time I wondered why I did that in the first place hehe.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

Yes, i'm glad it goes up to 26kHz, although there's an additional hiccup with this, as the default config.txt file has:

max_frequency = 20000

So unless that's altered, presumably even if 26kHz is selected on the dial, it'll only go up to 20kHz, right?

5against4 wrote:Yes, i'm glad it goes up to 26kHz, although there's an additional hiccup with this, as the default config.txt file has:

max_frequency = 20000

So unless that's altered, presumably even if 26kHz is selected on the dial, it'll only go up to 20kHz, right?
No, that value determines the max frequency for analysis and the default value for the max frequency knob, but if you tweak the knob it overrides it for the synthesis.

But if you want to create ultrasounds there's a perhaps more sensible way to do it : create audible sounds, save the result then speed it up. This way you can hear what you do and you're not limited in how high it can get.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

Return to “Photosounder”