Cranked AC (VOX AC30) vst pedal from Brian Wampler coded by LePou

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

www.wamplerpedals.com wrote: Free Cranked AC VST plugin,
I've been working with a fellow on creating a few plugin versions of our pedals and I wanted to give you a free copy of the Cranked AC plugin version. It is a VST plugin,in a .rar file. Once extracted it will have a .dll file that you will add to your plugin library. If you download it, please leave me a note to let me know if you like it!
Designed and coded by LePou

Maybe some of you know who Brian Wampler is ... He is one of the gurus in pedal effects/FX mod like Keeley/AnalogMan ...

http://www.wamplerpedals.com/home

This is one hell of a plugin, as you'd expect from LePou, but it also really shows off the sound of Brian Wampler's design. The Cranked AC is a great pedal and this is a great emulation of it. Brian does a lot more than just pedal mods (I don't have any modded pedals of his, but I do have five of his amp-in-a-box pedals :)), very good builder and a nice guy to boot.

I've had my eye on his Black 65 pedal for a while now. Can't wait to try this.

heffus wrote:I've had my eye on his Black 65 pedal for a while now. Can't wait to try this.
I've got it; if you're after a Fender in a Box, it's "holy shit :shock:" good. He did a good job of giving it a nice range of gain, too, not locked into a Twin kind of sound or a DR kind of sound; with the tone controls and the gain knob + higher gain mode switch, you've got a gamut of Fendery tones. Of course at the high gain end of the Fender spectrum (and here I'm talking more "pushed Bassman 50w" gain, not an actual high gain amp) you can even creep just a tad into early Marshall territory, though of course the tonal difference makes it not a MIAB pedal.

Yes! Thanks.

Are his pedals just preamps or do they also have a speaker emulation?

No speaker emulation. And I hesitate to call them preamps, exactly. He was big in the DIY scene as IndyGuitarist, and he published several books detailing his mods, both on the "how to" and "why" levels. Now that he's been making original circuits (with the occasional tribute to an older design, like the Plextortion, based around the Guv'nor but giving it a nice 3-band EQ and more, focused gain to push it into hotter territory), he's been putting out pedals that aren't just miniaturized amps... That concept works well sometimes, using jfet or mosfet circuits in place of tubes, but typically in my experience you can't just shrink an amp schematic and transistorize it and expect to get good sounds. His pedals seem to me to be designed to work with a variety of guitars and amps to still be able to nail the general functionality of the amp sound he's after.

Not as typical as the "I'm going to try to copy this amp as closely as possible" approach you see in the digital world, but what works when taking into account several variables in the physical world is a little more free form. The main thing is whether the end result sounds like a Plexi and you can get strat->plexi tones that are authentic, or humbucker bearing thick sounding guitar->plexi tones that are also authentic. Flexibility is really key since you don't know what's going to be used, and he's one of the builders who really gets flexibility right, but without losing the fundamental, core identity of the sound. I respect him a lot because of that. It's a lot easier to make a pedal that sounds good with a particular kind of amp than it is to make a pedal that sounds good with damn near everything.

Of course double dipping is a little silly. No reason to run a Plexidrive into an actual JTM45 ;)

Agreed wrote:Flexibility is really key since you don't know what's going to be used, and he's one of the builders who really gets flexibility right, but without losing the fundamental, core identity of the sound. I respect him a lot because of that. It's a lot easier to make a pedal that sounds good with a particular kind of amp than it is to make a pedal that sounds good with damn near everything.
Amen to that.

So it sounds like these pedals are of a similar concept to the Boss Fender-licensed pedals that came out a couple years ago, I believe it was a Bassman and a Deluxe Reverb and they were simply designed to be used between your guitar and your normal amp.

Key differences would be that those are sort of mediocre COSM models of the amps themselves, while Wampler's dirts are analog. (So, yeah, the Cranked AC plugin is sort of a digital model of an analog pedal designed to model a particular sound. 8) )

Anyone have a copy of this they'd be willing to share? The only link I can find (http://www.indyguitarist.com/plugin/Cra ... plugin.rar) just redirects to an Amazon book about guitar pedal modification

PM'd

Hello everyone,

i was looking for Wampler cranked ac plugin... and it sends me to amazon page :/

can anyone help me get this plugin? thank you!

SlayTaniK wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:46 pm Hello everyone,

i was looking for Wampler cranked ac plugin... and it sends me to amazon page :/

can anyone help me get this plugin? thank you!
https://www.scuffhamamps.com/forum/5-th ... cranked-ac

thank you! :)

Return to “Effects”