Ensoniq DP/Pro with digital I/O

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Shy
KVRAF
5168 posts since 27 Jun, 2004

Post Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:51 am

(edit: see post below, eventually the seller backed out of the deal, so I didn't get one of these 4 or 6 prototypes that exist)

Last edited by Shy on Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

deleted

Post Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:18 am

DELETED

Mr Arkadin
KVRAF
1520 posts since 11 Mar, 2003

Post Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:04 am

Surely time for Ensoniq to make a comeback? I mean what are Creative Labs going to do with that name? About as much as Gibson did with Oberheim.

I am looking at the DP/4+ myself and have been trying to get a Fizmo for some time. There are many folks who would buy an updated Fizmo.

Nice kit btw. Is this similar to the DP/4+ in any way?

Shy
KVRAF

Post Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:55 am

In some ways yes, but the interface and some of the algorithms are different. DP/4+ is also very versatile and has unique, great sounding effects, and some of the best flanging and phasing ever.

olepro
KVRAF
1521 posts since 19 Apr, 2003 from Copenhagen, Denmark

Post Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:38 am

I often wish i could route audio through the FX section in my Ensoniq TS12.
It has the same processor as in DP4 and sounds so great

If any one knows about anything about a modification that makes this possible, please let me know
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

jones-y
KVRAF
2130 posts since 14 Feb, 2003

Post Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:52 am

Owning an ASR 10 (same effects chip as DP-4 - the DP-2 was a slightly updated 2 channel version of the DP-4) and having owned an ASR X (same effects chip as DP Pro), I can testify to the excellence of Ensoniq's modulation based effects (chorus, flanger, and phaser). Due to the fact that Ensoniq was first and foremost a synth/sampler company, their effects units definitely fall on the creative side in comparison to other mid range effects units of the era. Unfortunately, they also fall into the hard to program side of camp too...

Excellent effects units, even today! I actually happen to like their AD/DA stages, but then again I'm an old sampler aficionado, so take that with a grain of salt...

The Consumer
KVRer
3 posts since 8 Mar, 2011 from Bay Area, USA

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:36 am

Shy wrote:I don't usually do this, but this time I just have to make a post in which I burst with joy over a purchase of a musical instrument.
Only 4 of these prototypes exist. I know about one guy (Chuck Zwicky aka zmix) who worked for Ensoniq who still has one, and the other two, who knows, probably still owned by former Ensoniq people.

This effect processor is so fantastic and with some really unique algorithms, and I'm thrilled that finally I won't be forced to go through the less than good A/D D/A and have these effects in perfectly crisp quality. It really is a dream come true. With all that said, it really is very sad that Ensoniq went down before they had a chance to manufacture the digital interface for this unit.
Hello, just signed up in order to reply to the thread, I have two of these freaks, one was purchased on eBay about 7 years ago, the second was just the digital I/O about three years ago. If you chain them together, the lush 'verb possibilities are obscene.

I use additional, slightly higher quality A/D - D/A converters instead of the ones on-board, and am EXTREMELY happy with the overall fidelity.

Protip: First specify that the input is analog, go into the first channel of the two and specify that the analog input is -99db, then change it back to Digital input, otherwise non-digital input noise will be introduced.

Brothers in s/pdif!

Shy
KVRAF

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:49 am

Hey, Consumer, guess what, I never received this unit in the end. So no S/PDIF for me. You can imagine how extremely bummed I was when the seller sent me back the money and basically told me "really sorry but, we did some testing and found that it's broken" (and yes, who knows if that's really true). So bummed that I didn't even feel like updating this thread.

So, a more appropriate title now would be "I bought a DP/Pro with digital I/O, was refunded and never got it, for a very obscure reason" :).
If you ever want to sell one of yours, let me know.

The Consumer
KVRer

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:54 am

Shy wrote:Hey, Consumer, guess what, I never received this unit in the end. So no S/PDIF for me. You can imagine how extremely bummed I was when the seller sent me back the money and basically told me "really sorry but, we did some testing and found that it's broken" (and yes, who knows if that's really true). So bummed that I didn't even feel like updating this thread.

So, a more appropriate title now would be "I bought a DP/Pro with digital I/O, was refunded and never got it, for a very obscure reason" :).
If you ever want to sell one of yours, let me know.
Arrgh, I'm so sorry to hear that. Okay, I'll keep you in mind, but wow, I don't know if I could ever part with either. My advice: create an alert on eBay... Worked for me! :)

psylevation
KVRian
710 posts since 23 May, 2005 from Sex

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:02 am

I have the DP/2 and I really like it...it would be great to have Digital I/0 though...I'm totally jealous :(
a.k.a. Airyck Sterrett

The Consumer
KVRer

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:16 am

psylevation wrote:I have the DP/2 and I really like it...it would be great to have Digital I/0 though...I'm totally jealous :(
Wow, I'm surprised at the interest! Yeah, it's a pretty fun box, I use it on almost every track I write, but it isn't without its, err, eccentricities. For example, they can't be chained via AES/EBU, only s/pdif.... Sometimes it has a hard time syncing even then. When all of the stars align, however, it's a goldmine.

vanceg
KVRer
8 posts since 19 Nov, 2003

Re: I bought an Ensoniq DP/Pro with digital I/O

Post Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:03 pm

WOW! I did a lot of preset writing and beta testing for the DP/Pro and I LOVE mine. However, I was one of the 6 people who received a Digital I/O for the unit....but I had to send it back for a firmware upgrade. Unfortunately, before they upgraded it, they decided to drop the product...so I never got the digital I/O card back.

Consumer - If you ever want to sell one of the Digital I/Os.... you have a buyer right here. I'd LOVE to find one of those units.

vanceg
KVRer
8 posts since 19 Nov, 2003

Post Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:04 pm

WOW! I did a lot of preset writing and beta testing for the DP/Pro and I LOVE mine. However, I was one of the 6 people who received a Digital I/O for the unit....but I had to send it back for a firmware upgrade. Unfortunately, before they upgraded it, they decided to drop the product...so I never got the digital I/O card back.

Consumer - If you ever want to sell one of the Digital I/Os.... you have a buyer right here. I'd LOVE to find one of those units.

Daags
KVRAF
2196 posts since 19 Dec, 2014

Post Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:45 pm

i must be some kind of philistine. i have a dp/4 and love the quality of the ad/da.

i don't know what the audio equivalent of 'pixel peeping' is ... but i suspect that's what's going on here. losing sight of the bigger picture in the chase of pixel perfection.

Scotty
KVRAF
1725 posts since 23 Dec, 2002

Post Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:22 pm

I am hoping that Universal Audio will do an DP/4 or Dp/4 + someday. I have a DP/4 (since 1996). If it ever bites the dust I'll be a very unhappy man. I have been talking with a guy on the Ensoniq facebook group and he recommends a powersupply rebuild and recap to keep them working. Apparently the DP/4+ has SMD components which are very difficult to work on bu the DP/4 is easier to mod. I might do this but the rebuild is expensive. - Scotty
Daags wrote:i must be some kind of philistine. i have a dp/4 and love the quality of the ad/da.

i don't know what the audio equivalent of 'pixel peeping' is ... but i suspect that's what's going on here. losing sight of the bigger picture in the chase of pixel perfection.
Asusp9712Core,RayDats,OASYSPCI,Cubase9,KorgLeg,Avalon737s+2022,UA4710D,6176,DCS,LA610MK2s,Neve, ARC2, Soundtoys,UADOCTO,AdamA7X, SphereMics, BCF+R2000s, DrmBrut,MiniLog,Volcas,MoogSubPhat,EnsqDP4,VirusC,Scope,MinBrut,Plugiator,NIS61 Ultimate,ComposrsCld.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”