Studio One Namm Deal

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hmmm

looks like a pretty good deal

It comes with most of the fx --I thought were very good.

what is the ingrated mastering suite?
I tried the demo but don't remember this? I remember all the fx but no the integrated suite,

urock wrote:For you Studio One "insiders" what do this means in regards to Version 2 (hopefully with track folders and freeze)? What is your take on reading the tea leaves... is version 2 coming sooner or later?
Guessing here (not an insider)... :( :)

...but IMO it is very likely v.2 will be announced over the next 3 days with a full release not too long after that. Could be wrong but it seems likely. :)

jazzimprov wrote: what is the ingrated mastering suite?
I tried the demo but don't remember this? I remember all the fx but no the integrated suite,
http://www.presonus.com/media/images/pr ... roject.jpg

LawrenceF wrote: OTOH, anyone who needs to use their 3rd party plugs probably wouldn't be evaluating Artist as a potential purchase anyway, only Pro. :shrug:
No offense Captain Obvious, but every other light version of a DAW, Cubase, Logic, Live etc. ALL of them allow you to use third party VSTs or AU's. So it's only because Studio "Artist" CANNOT load VSTS that this is the case. Basically they're forcing people to purchase up, or deal with a relatively useless DAW by todays standards.

I would probably pass it up if I was looking for a DAW, for the simple and straightforward reason that any company willing to cripple their light version like that would be very likely to do other ridiculous things that destroy the user experience for me in the future.

That is hard, very hard to resist.

But at that price, why resist? :D:D:D

I'm in the UK and the offer seems to be open already. :) :tu:

Not 13th yet and even earlier for the US.

This question is

"Can I use the plugins from Studio One Artist in another host?"

machinesworking wrote:No offense Captain Obvious, but every other light version of a DAW, Cubase, Logic, Live etc. ALL of them allow you to use third party VSTs or AU's. So it's only because Studio "Artist" CANNOT load VSTS that this is the case.
Captain Obvious.. :lol: ..good one... way out of context though... no offense taken...
Basically they're forcing people to purchase up, or deal with a relatively useless DAW by todays standards.
Everything we discuss here is optional software. Nobody has to buy or use any of it so I'm not sure how PreSonus or Steiny or Cake or anyone can force anyone to purchase or use anything. If anyone disagrees with the decision to not allow 3rd party VST's (and apparently many do)... don't buy Studio One Artist? If you get it in a box for free, don't install it?

Pretty simple concept imo... no arm twisting that I can see. :shrug: Not sure why it invokes such strong emotions.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sounds like a wonderful deal, except it is useless to me if it can't load 3rd party instruments or effects. As a step in the upgrade it is very useful. The mixer and work flow are supposed to be the strengths. How is the midi handling and the sound engine?

Bubbamusic wrote:As a step in the upgrade it is very useful.
I think that's the actual point some still may be missing. Many people complained that Studio One Pro was listed too high at $399 based on it's feature set and there was some reasonable legitimacy to that argument. Now it's $220 and people are complaining about $20 Artist not allowing plugs ... and I paid $60 for Steinberg Sequel, which also doesn't allow plugs... :shrug:

...(not you, I don't mean you :lol:)...

The sale (logically speaking) has one point and one point only, to make S1 Pro less expensive. That's it. It really has (imo, again logically) nothing to do with Artist beyond the initial $20 purchase step towards Pro. Go onto the site, pay the $20, get your license, don't download anything, go to the local GC and buy the upgrade, get the box and CD's and everything.

Context people please ... :hihi: ... context....

If $220 is still considered by some to be too much for Pro, just move on... it's really ok... nothing to see here. :lol:

Maybe they just should have put Pro on sale for $220 so it wouldn't be so confusing. :hihi:
Last edited by LawrenceF on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.

I almost bought it and had signed up all the forms. Until I read the bit that said no plugins.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

DELETED

machinesworking wrote:
LawrenceF wrote: OTOH, anyone who needs to use their 3rd party plugs probably wouldn't be evaluating Artist as a potential purchase anyway, only Pro. :shrug:
No offense Captain Obvious, but every other light version of a DAW, Cubase, Logic, Live etc. ALL of them allow you to use third party VSTs or AU's. So it's only because Studio "Artist" CANNOT load VSTS that this is the case. Basically they're forcing people to purchase up, or deal with a relatively useless DAW by todays standards.

I would probably pass it up if I was looking for a DAW, for the simple and straightforward reason that any company willing to cripple their light version like that would be very likely to do other ridiculous things that destroy the user experience for me in the future.
I understand your argument, but here's the thing. If you're seriously interested in S1 Pro, then this deal is a chance to save $180 or so if or when you decide to buy it. With Artist, you get to try it out, and use the bundled plugins (quite good, and for beginners, all they really need).

You shouldn't think of this deal as buying a Production DAW (We're only talking about just over 20 bucks, remember). What you're buying is a fairly cheap upgrade path to a DAW that has a serious chance of becoming the "standard" in a year or two. (Some of us already think it is. :wink: ).

So, it's simple: If the current demo is appealing to you, then $20.11 gets you halfway to that DAW. If it's "not your thing", then of course save your money and stay with what you have.

LawrenceF wrote: Everything we discuss here is optional software. Nobody has to buy or use any of it so I'm not sure how PreSonus or Steiny or Cake or anyone can force anyone to purchase or use anything. If anyone disagrees with the decision to not allow 3rd party VST's (and apparently many do)... don't buy Studio One Artist? If you get it in a box for free, don't install it?

Pretty simple concept imo... no arm twisting that I can see. :shrug: Not sure why it invokes such strong emotions.
Hey Lawrence,

If I decide to stay with Pro Tools and don't purchase the Pro version of Studio One can I still not use VSTs? 8)

Dan
Those that can, do. Those that can't, argue about it on k-v-r

dgkenney wrote:Hey Lawrence,
If I decide to stay with Pro Tools and don't purchase the Pro version of Studio One can I still not use VSTs? 8)
Dan
Yeah, but watch out for the Avid thugs. They'll come around and put you in a headlock and make you upgrade to PTHD. :lol:

They're vicious... :hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”