Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra FREE library!

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra is a new free symphonic sample library. Contains 16bit WAV samples and SFZ mappings.
Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra is a free orchestral sample library. While not as advanced or ambitious in scope as commercial offerings, SSO contains all the basic building blocks for creating real virtual orchestrations. It's primarily aimed at beginners, but also more experienced composers looking for something lightweight and/or portable might find it useful.

SSO comes in sfz format, which is a powerful, open, non-monolithic sample format. It consists of a plain text file with an sfz extension that holds all sample playback parameters, and a set of sound samples in wave format which are referenced by the sfz file. This means that sfz files can be edited with any plain text editor, and the samples can be edited with any audio editor that loads wave files.

The SSO samples are stereo, 16 bit, 44kHz. Melodic instruments and chromatic percussion are sampled in minor 3rds. Staccato/pizzicato patches have 2x round-robin. All samples have varying amounts of stage ambience, depending on their front-to-back placement, but in addition to that a good hall reverb is a must.
Get it here (torrent file): http://sso.mattiaswestlund.com/
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

Free orchestral library! Now I've seen it all.

CC Sampling Plus says:
You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).

So, who do I credit? Sonatina? Creators of source files? Someone else?

I'm not sure either. Perhaps both is the correct answer?

Would like to hear from someone more familiar with the CC licencing system, though.
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

I'm the author of the SSO library. Sorry for being unclear.

Just credit me (Mattias Westlund) or "Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra Project" and provide a link back to the SSO site. There's a listing of the stuff used available there, so while you may of course credit the original authors as well, I don't think you have to.

I'll update the site with this info ASAP.

450meg is a small file, why the bit torrent

wavephonic wrote:450meg is a small file, why the bit torrent
My hosting plan has a 50GB monthly bandwidth limit. That's slightly more than a hundred downloads of a 440MB file. If I had offered the library as a http download more than half of my monthly bandwidth would have been eaten up just within the last 24 hours. See the problem?
Last edited by cerendir on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Odd. So often we get people here complaining about why something isn't torrented, especially when they're having problems with getting the new hot thing right now.

Often faster, no server bandwidth overload, multiply by 10,000 downloads, and there goes your monthly allotment for your account. Torrenting is a great way to distribute software! :)

Why not?

First of all, congrats for this release. It's certainly a huge work to put all these stuff together and to normalize all. I'm downloading it now and am very curious to hear the results. Thank you for your sense of sharing.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

stanlea wrote:First of all, congrats for this release. It's certainly a huge work to put all these stuff together and to normalize all. I'm downloading it now and am very curious to hear the results. Thank you for your sense of sharing.
+1.
:)

edit: I downloaded it and now is sending to help others.

Seeds: 0 :cry:
The cat has four paws: in, out, ground and power supply )
Listen to my music

Steplton wrote:Seeds: 0 :cry:
Grrrr... All them darn leeches.... :cry:

Steplton wrote:Seeds: 0 :cry:
I'm seeing 60 seeders here and I'm uploading as we speak...

32 seeds here :shrug:

Thank you very much for your time and effort, Mattias!

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious ; it is the
fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science.
-- Albert Einstein

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”