CAUSTIC audio rack for Android

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, first post here but I've been lurking forever. I've just completed my first audio app for Android and thought you might be a good audience for it.

I was inspired by Reason (4.0 interface) and wanted to have something similar running on Android. I've just released the free demo today and will hopefully have a paid version out soon. Here's what's on offer for the gear-heads:

* 1x Virtual analog subsynth
* 2x PCM synths (23 demo samples included)
* 2x 303-like BassLine synths
* 1x Sampling drum machine (9 demo kits included)
* 1x Mixer desk with Delay/Reverb and 4 insert effects
* 1x Song sequencer

Check it out (looks like I can't post links yet, fair enough, copy-paste away)
https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... re.caustic

Welcome to KVR. Here's your link, clickable.

https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... re.caustic

men, that's AWESOME. by far the best music app on Android I've ever seen. no lags, no freezes, no clicks, just smooth and pure rebirthish fun! :-)

really, I'm amazed. this one has nothing to envy to similar iphone apps. tested on a Samsung Galaxy S with 2.1, by the way.

now, since I'm also a (wannabe) Android developer, can I ask you how did you achieve this? are you using NDK, or some special trick you would like to share? I can't believe this is pure Java :-)

keep up the brilliant work, and again my most sincere congratulations.

cheers,
Aldo

I grabbed this last night as well and it appears to be pretty good indeed!

The only critisism I have at this stage is that the dials on the synth are just a bit too small, and that's on my HTC Desire HD as well which is a relatively large screen.

Sound and features are way better than anything else on Android that i've used so far though.

Looking forward to delving deeper! :D

looks great!

How's the latency? I hope my HTC Hero (GSM) can run this! (probably not).

dadaumpa wrote: now, since I'm also a (wannabe) Android developer, can I ask you how did you achieve this? are you using NDK, or some special trick you would like to share? I can't believe this is pure Java :-)

keep up the brilliant work, and again my most sincere congratulations.

cheers,
Aldo
Thanks for the comments Aldo, the whole thing (apart from the app framework) is written with the NDK in C++ (my background is console games), also the UI is rendered using OpenGL. If you have any other developments questions, feel free to PM me.

TristezaOrange wrote:looks great!

Sorry, it only supports ARMv7 devices right now (yours is ARMv6). I might try and make a simpler version for smaller phones in the future, stay tuned.

SingleCell wrote:...I might try and make a simpler version for smaller phones in the future, stay tuned.
That's good to hear - xperia mini here.

:wink:

Okay I just got to try this out. When do I get to give you my money?

SingleCell wrote:
TristezaOrange wrote:looks great!

Sorry, it only supports ARMv7 devices right now (yours is ARMv6). I might try and make a simpler version for smaller phones in the future, stay tuned.
Cool! :)

Considering I can't get paid apps in Cyprus (the Android Market does not allow that yet) can you please make it available as an .apk file that can be downloaded after purchase?

AuthenticDan wrote:Okay I just got to try this out. When do I get to give you my money?
Hehe, soon I hope. I'm exhausted from the push to get this demo version out and there's still a bit of work left on the paid features. I'm hoping next week, if not, then the week after that. But I only get a few hours a day to work on this, so be patient please, I want this out more than you do.

TristezaOrange wrote: Cool! :)

Considering I can't get paid apps in Cyprus (the Android Market does not allow that yet) can you please make it available as an .apk file that can be downloaded after purchase?
If there's enough demand for it outside of market-approved counties, I'll try and set something like that up.

SingleCell wrote:
TristezaOrange wrote: Cool! :)

If there's enough demand for it outside of market-approved counties, I'll try and set something like that up.
Hi SingleCell, the app looks really cool and if you want demand and lots of guaranteed income, why not port it to iOS iPad?
Any plans for such move? Imagine including CoreMidi support.... Hmmm... ;)

Leslie wrote: Hi SingleCell, the app looks really cool and if you want demand and lots of guaranteed income, why not port it to iOS iPad?
Any plans for such move? Imagine including CoreMidi support.... Hmmm... ;)
The main reason I wrote this was that when I got my Android phone and went looking for this kind of software for phones, the only decent ones I found were for iOS. (Xenon, Nanostudio, Rebirth, etc.) There was a big hole in the Android market so I set out to fill it as best I could.

Bottom line, I'm not sure my app would hold up to the competition on iOS, and I think there's already great products out there for the iPeople.

Nice! Looks promising. :)

Installed it on my Motorola Xoom and it looks great.
The keyboard only seems to accept two fingers at the same time. Or one key pressed and one knob turned. More fingers than that the sound gets stuck. If I press up or down on the octave keys to the right of the screen they stop.

Also, the latency is, as I expected, a little bit too much like on all the other audio apps I've tried for Android. I know it's not your fault and I really want Google and the smartphone manufacturers to fix this issue.

Good luck with it! :)

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”