One-Synth-Challenge 29: String Theory - Voting and Results

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

gorgorgathgorgorgor wrote:
IrionDaRonin wrote:Hi everyone, thanks for those points. I'm really grateful.
But now i feel bad, because some contestants are getting out without points, some of you are scoring my two songs :(
In one hand, i'm getting glad and happy, in the another hand, i'm feeling bad for those others.
I think this will be the last time participating with two songs, hehe, i think would be more fair, next time.
It's just i want and i like to share all my compositions with you.
Mongol General: What is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.
8)
That's the spirit! The rules are the rules, and until they say one submission per contestant then I say keep 'em coming IrionDaRonin! No shame in being prolific - quite the opposite actually. If you really want to be fair, then stop writing such good songs dammit!

Haha, thanks for your comments, i got a laugh with the Conan quote.
Anyway, i think i will participate with one track for now.
But thanks for your comments, seriously. :)

So well, have a good day :)

IrionDaRonin wrote:Haha, thanks for your comments, i got a laugh with the Conan quote.
Anyway, i think i will participate with one track for now.
But thanks for your comments, seriously. :)

So well, have a good day :)

Come on friend, that's alright and proper according to rules and I'd consider making 5 songs in your place not just one song :). If you like to share why not to share with us?
http://www.audiomindproject.com (VST soundbanks - FM8, V-Station, DCAM: Synth Squad, TAL-U-NO-LX, TAL-BassLine, Corona, LuSH-101)

Maybe you all have reason. I will think about it.

Anyway sometimes, for example the last month, i was making at same time 5 tracks, and i got a bit burnout and toasted lol. Must be the heat in summer.

I need a rest, that's another reason to make only one song by month at the moment.

But yeah, i still like to share them with you all. There is already one song in my SoundCloud account, a trancey one made only with V2 and free effects, it's shared to play it.
But i'm making another one which i will upload for the contest. In fact it's almost done.

This month looks like a bit desertic with V2... Vacations? or the "lack" of prizes? :hihi:

Since i'm making ambient music, i'm thinking to make a free ambient album to download completelly for free, of course, from MySpace acccount, but this will be when i finish at least about 10-12 ambient songs in KVROSC.
I know they are not from another world, but that why they are free hehe.

Well, i will take advantage and put my votes here.
I enjoyed all your songs, as i said in the previous post. But well, votes are votes and rules are rules.
  • 5 points - Pocvevem - Easy Slomo
    Awesome production with "divisi" technique. Nice ambient track which invites you to think or daydreaming. This is what makes me move.
    I'm in love with the melodies and the hammered iceblock sound which guides and makes you company until the end of the track.
    I can't stop to listening this one, it's already in my playlist. Even i went to sleep a couple of night with this track playing while.
    For some reason, it sounds a bit melancholic to me. Cheers.

4 points - TommyBear - Different Ways
    It makes me relax so much. A good haunting intro, and suddently the arps, which are precious.
    I would sleep in the top of a mountain watching stars at night while listening this song, and i could get sleeped and worry about nothing.
    Cheers.

3 points - RuediRena - El Hierbajo
    To be clever, the first time i heard it, i got a laugh, because i didn't expect this kind of music style, a bolero, i was like "how is this possible? lol".
    I can heard a great work writting the track because i can't get bored of it, most parts are different between them.
    Anyway, it's not my style, but i can value the great effort in it. Cheers.

2 points - HiEnergy - Strings in theory
    The better are the arps, and the chord changes at beginning. I can feel a great rhythm listening those arpeggios.
    But i got a bit bored about it from the middle until the end. Seems like the creator wanted to finish fast. No need to rush. Cheers.

1 point -evo2slo - Accidental Illumination
    The strummed arpeggios and those drum parts. Well done!
    But a bit repetitive. Just a trick, maybe a cut in the length could be useful if sounds repetitive, for a next time. Cheers.
Special mentions to

@Gorgathgor
I was about to give you one or two points, but you know how is all this, very difficult. I just wanted to say that every month you are getting better and better, improving your weird, in the good way, ideas, so keep like this. I liked so much the use of delay to make phantom notes. Your tracks are always very personal and unique.
Cheers.

@Bzur
You were in my third place this time, but i already gave you 4 points the last month, just to be fair with the others. Your song is in my playlist by the way. Cheers Bzur.

@Doc Jon
The man who always trying to make different styles every month. That's nice, but a bit risky. Nice production anyway, but a bit repetitive, maybe you were too busy enjoying your Zebra lucky guy, hehe. Thanks for your points of this month Doc, have a good day :)

@mrblitz000
The first time i heard a kind of 'organic techno', interesting thing. Cheers and thanks for your points.

So cheers everyone for the nice KVROSC this month.
Sorry for left some of you out, you all know how hard is this. It was difficult, always is difficult...

@V'ger
Make a track already bad cop!! :x
:hihi:

Good luck and may the best win :)
Last edited by IrionDaRonin on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:smack:

:D

5 pts : RuediRena - El Hierbajo
4 pts : evo2slo - Accidental Illumination
3 pts: Doc Jon - Downstairs at Eric's
2 pts : object man- windmills and tullips
1 pt : HiEnergy - Strings in theory

5 Capdan - Theory and practice - Love the beat and the whole structure and feel of the song
4 IrionDaRonin - Alba - Absolutely fantastic. Loved everything.. the arps, bass, percussion, etc. By the way, i liked your other track
3 mcPanic - Kvr OSC 29 - Excellent track
2 TommyBear - Different Ways
1 ReudiRena - El Hierbajo

All of the tracks are excellent. Good luck to you all.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

That was a really pleasant listening. Here are my votes and greetings to you all.

5 p. IrionDaRonin - I would tell you
4 p. Bzur - Home
3 p. PocVecem - Easy SloMo
2 p. RuediRena - El Hierbajo
1 p. IrionDaRonin - Alba

Best regards,
TommyBear
http://www.audiomindproject.com (VST soundbanks - FM8, V-Station, DCAM: Synth Squad, TAL-U-NO-LX, TAL-BassLine, Corona, LuSH-101)

5 Points:
PocVecem - Easy SloMo
Love the enveloping atmosphere created by this track. And man, that bass. It is just.. perfect. A great plucked melody drizzled over the top, a perfectly balanced bed of percussion, yum… if you can cook like you make music you must be a master chef.

4 Points:
bzur - home
So sweet when that bass comes in. Fantastic melody too. Entire piece is very well constructed. Develops naturally, never seems forced. Beautiful song!

3 Points:
IrionDaRonin - I would tell you…
Hits hard, but feels soft. Plucks and pads merging together so well. Really takes it's time to develop. I almost don't notice the changes till they've already happened. Great patience as a composer and it really pays off. When that arpeggiated melody comes in at 3:14 I thought, "did 3 minutes just go by?" Was in no hurry for this one to end.

2 Points:
TommyBear - Different Ways
Everything comes together so well on this track. Great blend of sounds, and interest is held throughout with the well placed changes. Really enjoyed this!

1 Point:
RuidiRena - El Hierbajo
I would have preferred this without the resonant 15 second intro. From that point onward I loved it all. Really creative and you nailed that spanish rhythm so nicely. Made me want to slap on some castanets and dance!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

CapDan - Theory and Practice
Great percussion with nice stereo effect. Excellent melody with the keys. Bass is perfectly laid back. Overall a real nice texture and feel to this track.

Gorgorgathgorgorgor - Rat Fink
Creates a cool atmosphere from the get go. Made me feel like I was in a noir claymation. A unique and standout track.

Tattiemannie - Banjo In A Bucket
Really tickled my ear canals (and they love to be tickled!) Great lead sound and plucks. Also liked the bass line, held everything down but in a such a light way - always in motion. Only complaint is that the percussion seemed a little too tight.

IrionDaRonin - Alba
I spent a month in San Juan and really appreciate being transported back there with this tune. Waves were such a cool intro, though I thought a little too long before the melody washed up on shore. Really a very beautiful track.

McPanic - kvr osc 29
That intro is awesome. Really love the sound of those plucks. Introduction of the other instruments and melody is very well done. I'm torn on the polka bass line in the second half. Maybe it's just a little too prominent in the mix for my tastes.

Doc Jon - Downstair's at Eric's
The woody bass and percussion are my favorite parts of this one. Also really like the guitar solo. Didn't think the horn was strong enough to carry the song. Big props for getting jazzy with it!

Yeager - Force Of Habit
Great energy. Everything is so precise about this track, I really admire the craftsmanship that went into it. Did not have much of an emotional impact on me though.

Prefect_X - Rain Dance
Really neat raindrop sounds. Cool bass line. Great sense of space in the mix and arrangement. As the song progressed I thought that the sounds started to feel slightly off-balance. The compositional shift half way through works really well.

sly fly - Nacho Libre's Elevator Music
An excellent melody that really stuck in my head after listening to it. Really nice change too. Track as a whole though seemed too underdeveloped - like it was taken out of the oven too early.

mrblitz000 - Disco Corium
Infectious bass line and very cool percussion. Thought the keys didn't work as well. It's like I really loved parts of this track but as a whole it didn't keep my interest all the way through.

HiEnergy - Strings in Theory
Great fingerpicking effect. Really like the chord progression. But there were places where the bass seemed out of time from the other parts.

Objectman - Windmills & Tulips
Fantastic melody. Sounds are nicely chosen and work well together. Creates a nice atmosphere. Thought the resonances got a bit out of control in places.

pocvecem wrote: 2 points: Gorgorgathgorgorgor - Rat Fink
He has his own special sound and I tend to like it more and more.
Two points! Nothin' but net!

Voting was a hard task for me as there are many nice sounding tracks this time.

Here's my vote:

5 pts.: IrionDaRonin - Alba
4 pts.: evo2slo - Accidental Illumination
3 pts.: RuediRena - El Hierbajo
2 pts.: IrionDaRonin - I would tell you...
1 pt. : bzur - home

[edited because I placed the same points twice by accident]

-- 5 points --
PocVecem - Easy SloMo:
Wow... again... **big sigh** I think what sums up my opinion here (considering the tools available for this performance): Exceptional workmanship and quality-of-finish in your composition. Simply spectacular! I think I should quit making music now... **reaches for the axe to cut his right hand off**

-- 4 points --
Bzur - Home:
Very moody. It reminded me of advertisements for suspense video games like "Heavy Rain", or "Alan Wake".

-- 3 points --
Evo2slo - Accidental Illumination:
I was entranced by the melody just 20 seconds into the song -- mesmerizing! Although the song feels generally light, and then gets a good dose of "happy" with the inclusion of drums, the softer part in the middle between about 1:28 and 1:55 felt somewhat lost and wandering aimlessly. (IMHO) The rest of the song, however, just beautiful!

-- 2 points --
Iriondaronin - Alba:
Rather angelic. It felt like it took a little to long to surface for air after the 2 minute mark, but overall quite a fantastic listen :-)

-- 1 point --
Iriondaronin - I would tell you...:
It seemed to start following in the footsteps of Alba, then the drums and glassy chime sound just changed the whole song. Awesome.

===================================

Capdan - Theory And Practice:
The panned delay seemed so prominent throughout the song that by the half way mark it started to feel like a separate instrument of it's own.

DocJon - Downstairs At Erics:
I like the range of sounds in this song. Very jazzy. Felt like grabbing my wife and dancing around the bedroom for 3 minutes :-) I think that maybe this song should makes it way to the "Best of OSC's Elevator Music" composition though ;-)

Gorgorgathgorgorgor - RatFink:
Very sparse... I felt like I should have been stoned to enjoy it? I must say that I was intrigued by the chords used in the music though. Interesting.

McPanic - kvr osc 29:
Sounded like it suffered a little in a way of note dynamics/expression. Kinda how all of my stuff sounds. **hangs his head in shame**

Mrblitz000 - Disco Corium:
If by "Disco" you were implying a "retro" sound, I think you achieved it. Not something I would aspire to make myself, but a very different track to most others.

Ruedirena - El Hierbajo:
This sounded a little like MIDI music from the mexican edition of Super Mario Bros. on the SNES.

SlyFly - Nacho Libres Elevator Music:
I got visions not of being stuck going up 30 floors in an elevator, but opening one of those ballerina jewellery boxes and that music playing while the tiny ballerina spins with the wind-up spring.

HiEnergy - Strings in Theory:
Didn't feel like there was much body to this tune... The lead had a lot of potential, but felt missing something.

Tattiemannie - Banjo In A Bucket:
Creative sounds and nice melodies. Didn't seem to have a lot of ebb and flow to it, but distinctive never-the-less.

Tommybear - Different Ways:
I didn't feel like I could connect with the song until it picked up at the 2:40 mark, but certainly a good use of some rich sounds offered by the synth available to you.

Objectman - Windmills-n-Tulips:
This felt a little drab and dull for my taste. I think there was some issues with delay making parts of the track a little muddy, too. Not that have any experience that would be able to fix it... I'm just saying that's what it SEEMED like to me.

Yeager - Force Of Habit:
This sounded like J-pop to me... Very cool though. If I had more points to hand out, I think this would have been number 6 on my list.

Great entries everyone. Keep the music flowing.

-- Dale L
((Rig)): 3.0Ghz Quad, 8Gb RAM, Behringer BCR2000, EMU 1616m PCIe & Roland VG-99.
((Soft Tools)): WinXP64, ReNoise, Reaper, Emulator-X3, EWQL Composers Collection, Addictive Drums, NI KORE-2 & Komplete-6.

OK my votes:

bzur - home 5 points.
Just loved the rhythm and motion - I was listening to this on the train back to Scotland from Kings Cross as dusk fell and was thinking about the journey home to the hills and hearth...

PocVecem - Easy SloMo 4 points
Beautiful mellow piece made me think of the incidental music in X3, drifting through space.

Gorgorgathgorgorgor - RatFink 3 points
Sort of a brush pitter patter, demented spinnet/harpischord, hose pipe trombone, off key warble. Excellent.

IrionDaRonin - Alba 2 points
Now, did you know that Alba is also Scots Gaelic for Scotland? Tattiemanie would.

Doc Jon - Downstairs at Eric's 1 point
Dum dum dum dum-dum, trumpet a bit harsh but hey I liked it.

All pretty cool. Out.

MajorBloodnok
Red peppers in dynamite sauce? I must have been out of my mind!

Worthy fellow musicians and engineers,

here are our votes. Well, actually it was ladies choice this time. So the better part of this list and the order of winners reflect Rena's opinion.

Prefect X - Rain Dance
We love that 'bubblecussion', classical overtones but not much development as the track goes on.

Yeager - Force Of Habit
Here is a track that really used String Theory's arpeggio engine to the full, maybe a bit too clean and perfect.

Tattiemannie - Banjo In A Bucket
This one is overboarding with fun. Hints of Zappa/G-Spot Tornado and that slightly eastern melody. Ruedi loves its chaos. Rena is reminded of a camel ride. She doesn't like riding a camel because it makes her seasick. Split decision.

IrionDaRonin - I would tell you...
A very relaxing track, maybe a bit too relaxing.

HiEnergy - Strings in theory
Visions of a bearded Bavarian playing the zither, interesting track, but loses some of its direction towards the end.

bzur - home
Ruedi still loves the panning percussion and overall atmosphere, Rena thinks it is too quiet.

CapDan - Theory and Practice
Very airy track, a lot of good ideas, nice ending. This was shortlisted.

PocVecem - Easy SloMo
Although being rather soft and deep with good sounds, Rena gets an uneasy feeling after about two minutes into the track.

evo2slo - Accidental Illumination
Fine intro, we feel that the fast, argeggiated chords are a bit too laid back to give the track drive, Maybe the song lacks a singer.

sly fly - Nacho Libre's Elevator Music
Visions of christmas, we are not really touched by this.

Mrblitz000 --- Disco Corium
Good rhythm work, some rather unpleasant, resonant peaks.

Objectman - Windmills & Tulips
Sorry, this just didn't meet our taste. Have a go at it this month with V2!

Doc Jon - Downstairs at Eric's: 5
Easy listening, fun, dancing and some more fun.

IrionDaRonin - Alba: 4
Beautiful and dreamy, perfect percussion and bass. Have some Sommerrausch after sunrise.

McPanic - kvr osc 29: 3
Three goodies, three points: guitar, bass, the melody. Well done.

Gorgorgathgorgorgor - Rat Fink: 2
Dry to the bone, well thought out, has some surprising and never dull moments.

TommyBear - Different Ways: 1
Simply relaxing with a very beautiful intro.

As others already stated all the submissions of this challenge had a very high quality.

Cheers

Great tracks, great quality, improving from osc to osc!!! My votes, with some comments:

5: PocVecem - Easy SloMo: simply the best, mix, arrangement and overall production
4: Ruedirena - El Hierbajo: a "classical" composition, accurately crafted. Well done!
3: Doc Jon - Downstar at Eric's: Funny and jazzy :)
2: IrionDaRonin - I would tell you...: another good track and production. Loved that guitar, from the beginning.
1: evo2slo - Good guitar and simple but effective melody and riff

Cheers!

Return to “Instruments”