Some old £169.99 vsti gem from the past -- now FREE!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thanks for the tip about the plex.ini, but sadly that didn't work either.

ah well, it's all good. very nice synth from what i can tell tho :wink:
[Insert Signature Here]

pquenin wrote:Hi Wolfgang, I have seen the videos of your latest developments, it's incredible ! The synthesis of vocals will be the next big thing. I really love the pictures in Chritmas vocals, how have they been made ?

yes, vocal synthesis is a very interesting area...
the grafics are done by Yvette Marie Reddy, a FB friend :)

origwt wrote:
conens wrote:Thank you for this information.
Can you tell me how to install the folders?
I have an error message in Reaper saying the raw folder cannot be found.
Thank you;
Ian
normally you just follow the download instructions.
(there is no plex.ini needed for normal operation)
for further info there is a file list in the download package: "Files.txt"

if you want to try Plex without optimized code, you need the plex.ini file, as described above.
in that case the path must be directed to the plex.dll
Wolfgang;
Thank you for replying so quickly, and turning me back to the instructions. Ha. I am up and running and have had some time to work with your instrument. I am happy to say that I enjoyed my brief time with it very much, and will have more time today to enjoy it more.
I had a question that I hope you will not mind answering for me.
I am a midi guitarist, fairly new to the virtual synth world, and I am having a blast with all the available instruments out here. So many talented techies creating incredible sounds to work with.
In order to play as a guitarist would normally, with string bends, hammers, pull offs, slides, etc, it is optimal for us to have a pitch bend range of 24 semi tones, which seems to scratch the itch. Is this possible with Plex?
I am not much in the tech arena, and will probably never create a work like you have, but I am grateful for those of you that are gifted in this area and bring us so many colors for our musical pallates.
One more point I would like to mention. I have seen many iphone apps that are popular presently that frankly do not hold a candle to Plex. I had the thought that Plex would be perfect in that arena. This may be a little selfish as I am preparing to use several apps live on my iphone that are suited for midi guitar.
This is certainly an exciting unique time for electronic music.
Again, thanks for your instrument, and your time.
Ian

conens wrote: Wolfgang;
Thank you for replying so quickly, and turning me back to the instructions. Ha. I am up and running and have had some time to work with your instrument. I am happy to say that I enjoyed my brief time with it very much, and will have more time today to enjoy it more.
I had a question that I hope you will not mind answering for me.
I am a midi guitarist, fairly new to the virtual synth world, and I am having a blast with all the available instruments out here. So many talented techies creating incredible sounds to work with.
In order to play as a guitarist would normally, with string bends, hammers, pull offs, slides, etc, it is optimal for us to have a pitch bend range of 24 semi tones, which seems to scratch the itch. Is this possible with Plex?
I am not much in the tech arena, and will probably never create a work like you have, but I am grateful for those of you that are gifted in this area and bring us so many colors for our musical pallates.
One more point I would like to mention. I have seen many iphone apps that are popular presently that frankly do not hold a candle to Plex. I had the thought that Plex would be perfect in that arena. This may be a little selfish as I am preparing to use several apps live on my iphone that are suited for midi guitar.
This is certainly an exciting unique time for electronic music.
Again, thanks for your instrument, and your time.
Ian
Ian, i'm sorry, there is no way to increase the Pitchwheel intervall.
in the current version this is fixed...

yeah, iphone apps might be interesting...i didnt get into that up till now.

best,
Wolfgang

To be a bit more precise...
origwt wrote:it may be a problem with the AMD processor. (just a guess!)
course the plugin uses optimized SIMD intructions...
to switch off the optimizations, you could try the following:

create a text file (with Notepad!) with the following content:

[Settings]
PluginPath=C:\Cpp7\Vst\Plex.dll
NoMMX=1

change the second lines "PluginPath" to the path where your palm.dll is located!
save (or rename) the file as "palm.ini"
and place it into the folder where the palm.dll is located.
1) the file has to be called exactly like the PlugIn DLL, just with a ".ini" extension, and reside in the same folder as the DLL. So, if you installed it as d:\VstPlugins\Plex2\plex.dll, the .ini file name has to be d:\VstPlugins\Plex2\plex.ini. This allows to set up different .ini files for the 32-bit and 64-bit versions, even if they're installed in the same subdirectory.

2) a bit more information about the possible contents:

Currently, Plex2 looks for 2 entries in the "Settings" section:

PluginPath=DLLPath can be used to override the path where the data and help files are searched. Normally, these reside in directories relative to the PlugIn DLL - i.e., following the above sample, they'd have to be in
d:\VstPlugins\Plex2\Documentation
d:\VstPlugins\Plex2\Plex-Data
The PluginPath setting has originally been added as a little debugging aid - it allows to keep various versions of the DLL in different subdirectories without having to copy the 200MB of raw data into each - and, if you don't intend to move the Plex-Data subfolder somewhere else, you don't need to add it to the .ini file. If you do add it, however: this contains the complete path, including filename, that Plex2 uses to derive the subdirectory information from. While the filename part is not important, it has to be there.

NoMMX=1 can be used to turn the automatic use of the SSE-optimized sound generation off. Testing this option is easy - if you add the entry, and your processor is less than 10 years old, you should notice a dramatic performance decrease (CPU usage goes up 100% or more) in Plex2.
"Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can walk." Image

As a Plex user from the "first hour" back in 2002 (!), I'm very happy to see a vital sign from this very unique and still great sounding plugin.

However, there are a few bugs the original Plex didn't have, that keep me from working with the new version:

- Envelope amount sliders remember wrong positions (move an amount slider, change edit page, come back and the slider pos is wrong). Only maximum positions work correctly.

- Filter-offset curve doesn't change, when being adjusted.

- In the preset page, stepping thru presets with cursor up/down keys isn't possible anymore. This was just so handy in version 1!

- In V1 it was possible to copy LFO settings incl. custom shapes between Base/Top/Filter, via Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V. This is also impossible now. It seems, that all keyboard inputs are broken now.

- Some wave mappings are different, resulting in a different patch sound: intended or accidently?

Can we hope for an update, to get this mended?
Last edited by Aerio on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I can confirm the envelope amount sliders not remembering positions correctly, as well as filter offset curve not being displayed when adjusted, in the latest version of Plex.

As well as stepping through presets with up/down keys. Damn, that really would have been nice!

Can't tell about wave mappings, since I've known Plex only for a few months now...

Aerio, thanks for the comment.

the step from the 32bit version to the 64bit was quite a big upgrade!
cause we had to step up to VstGUI 3.0.
thanks to Hermann Seib again, for his angagement!

and we dont have a betatest-team here :)
in fact this whole thing is a fun project now!

we will check it, and see what we can do.
you could try the version 2.0.2, which is closer to the original Plex.
but its 32bit only.

cheers, Wolfgang

I know Plex is an old plugin now, but i've just loaded an older track which used it, and plex throws up an error message saying the raw folder can't be found.
The raw folder IS there.

Within the plex-data folder there is a RAW folder. There are 1,515 files in it with the .raw extension.
I assume this is what Plex is telling me isn't there, but why is Plex not seeing it, and how do I fix it ?

Looks like downloads are "verboten," so I don't think you do. Why not just use a diff synth?

Props on wrapping up the necro bump of the year award already though!

mixyguy2 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:38 am Looks like downloads are "verboten," so I don't think you do. Why not just use a diff synth?

It's a free plugin so how could it be forbidden ? I already have the install files that I saved on a hard drive ages ago, so I don't need to download it again...I just need it to work.
I don't use a different synth because I have an earlier audio file of the track and the sound is not easily created by anything else.

necro bump or not....I still need the thing to work if I have to work on an older track. The age of a post is immaterial.

2NDMOUSE wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:15 am It's a free plugin so how could it be forbidden ?
Got me, all I know is that's what I got when I clicked on the download links.
I already have the install files that I saved on a hard drive ages ago, so I don't need to download it again...I just need it to work.
Since your version isn't working (and I assume you tried a re-install), it sounds like maybe you do need to download it again.
The age of a post is immaterial.
You're asking for help on a synth that was considered old 12 years ago when the OP was made. I wouldn't call that immaterial. Anyway, good luck. PS I have Plex 2 if you're interested in trying that. Maybe yours got corrupted somehow, can't say.

mixyguy2 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:38 am Looks like downloads are "verboten," so I don't think you do. Why not just use a diff synth?

Forbidden means the directory is not longer accessible. You do not have the access rights to the folder in which the file is, or was, stored at this server. It seems that the download is simply gone.

There are three mirror pages though. Have a look at the header of the original page. And at this one for example the download still works:

http://www.drealm.info/Wolfgang_Palm/Plex2.html

mixyguy2 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:54 am

Since your version isn't working (and I assume you tried a re-install), it sounds like maybe you do need to download it again.
You're asking for help on a synth that was considered old 12 years ago when the OP was made. I wouldn't call that immaterial. Anyway, good luck. PS I have Plex 2 if you're interested in trying that. Maybe yours got corrupted somehow, can't say.
A synth might be old, but a person's need for the thing to work, isn't. Are posts about Moog synths considered old, or, in context, relevant ?

Besides, it's Plex 2 that I have. I guess it's just abandonware then. I'm beginning to understand why people prefer hardware

I had Plex 2 installed on an old machine, but not on me new one. I just tested what happens if I copy across the folder from the old machine to the new - leaving the folder structure intact (which is also described in Files.txt). After scanning in my host and loading up the plugin, I've got access to all the sounds.

That suggests to me that you might have some kinda of access conflict. It's an old plugin (I can't remember how old), so it's quite possible Windows folder access restrictions aren't playing nice with a pluign that might predate their introduction. If you installed to a protected folder (e.g. Program Files), try moving the folder elsewhere, like C:\vst\ where you can be sure there won't be any issues in accessing that folder.

Other than that, you'd probably get more help if you provide a bit more detail on how your installation is set up.

Return to “Instruments”