Waldorf A1 synth (Cubase)... forgotten how good it is!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

Just loaded it up again and 'Wow'... I haven't used it in a while but it sounds great with just pre-set testing.

Any other happy users, or have things moved on a bit, as it's quite old now?

I really wish Steinberg would re-release this as part of their classics series

+1 for A1 :) great synth, of cource when u have some waldorf DNA there, just liten to those filters, FAT! :)

osiris wrote:I really wish Steinberg would re-release this as part of their classics series
I doubt they will - unlike the others they have released I think this was just locked to Cubase wasn't it?

aMUSEd wrote:
osiris wrote:I really wish Steinberg would re-release this as part of their classics series
I doubt they will - unlike the others they have released I think this was just locked to Cubase wasn't it?
Yes, it was Cubase only.

A few years ago I downloaded the SX3 version that was (is?) available for Cubase 4 users and copied the file over - had it in my library since then. It's not fantastic, but a good solid synth.
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

You just reminded me of posting this dude:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeoJzSq7S00

He said he was using an A1 preset. Sounds golden I think

Great synth. Has anybody else problems saving patches with the correct semitones? For example -5 or -7 results in -6 resp. -8. Strange.

Any chance Waldorf will rerelease it?

Yeah, its a great synth.
I know Nathan Fake used it for his track 'turtle'. There is an interview of him from computer music showing the process of making it. (If any electronic music guy is interested)

bitcrush01 wrote:Any chance Waldorf will rerelease it?
...and not costing $150+ :pray:

aMUSEd wrote:
no it was not i have used it in FL back in 2007 i think. :wink:

bitcrush01 wrote:Any chance Waldorf will rerelease it?
While PPG Wave 2.V is already around the same age as A1 (never used A1 tbh) and still included with Waldorf Edition 2 i am 99.999% sure that A1 will never be released again.

Largo has that typical Waldorf sound, all those features from A1 and many more.
Nave ois great too but has the focus more on wavetables and compared to Largo misses some typical VA features like e.g. OscSync and FM (and proper PWM for all Oscs).

Like with the other 64-bit updates Waldorf did last year they would have to invest serious development time to get A1 working properly on 64-bit systems (especially the latest OSX) and new hosts properly and this would need a full re-write of the engine.
At their current software products they no longer have a plugin that is 32-bit only so keeping it "as is" does not seem to be an option.
Last but not least also Steinberg was involved with this and of course they would have decide on this too.

Got Cubase Pro 8 here and Retrologue as a built-in synth (like A1 was in SX3) actually seems to be better than A1 that was included with Cubase SX3. Official downloads for SX3 do not seem to be availabele (also not at the Steinberg FTP), only the last updates for it (same about SX2).

Anyway Largo overall is VERY powerful and as already mentioned this could be a proper replacement for A1.
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I read that Wolfram Franke who programmed the A1 left Waldorf
If somebody could re-release it (like Wolfgang Palm did with Plex) - it would definitely be him although he is probably more interested in other stuff.

I wouldn't mind if the A1 was re-released as part of Steinberg's VST Classics series either. The great thing about the A1 was (is) that you can run nearly unlimited instances of it, comparable with a synth like Synth1.

I tried it out some time ago. Wasn't exactly impressed by it, like Ingo wrote, Komplexer or Largo sound much better, and do lots more. VSTi's have come a long way since A1 was released IMO.

love A1. the magic of A1 is the snappy filter and the distinctive onboard chorus at almost no cpu usage.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Instruments”