Should I install my VSTPlugins folder onto my external harddrive?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I've learned to keep my Sample Folder on an external harddrive and to just add the directory into the DAW for easy, convenient use.

Should I do the same with the VSTPlugins folder instead of installing it on C drive? Will this affect the loadtimes? Will I be able to connect to any computer and use plugins without installation?

notdeadmau5 wrote:Hi, I've learned to keep my Sample Folder on an external harddrive and to just add the directory into the DAW for easy, convenient use.

Should I do the same with the VSTPlugins folder instead of installing it on C drive? Will this affect the loadtimes? Will I be able to connect to any computer and use plugins without installation?
It depends on the plugin. Some vst plugins also have a folder on your C: drive (in Program Files) to store presets, manuals, key files, etc ... some don't. Also, most DAW's need to know the path to the plugin folder. Plugging an external drive into "any computer" will mean having to change the plugin path in whatever DAW you're using, and re-scanning the vst folder.
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

so, i do this, because the most powerful machine i own is the laptop given to me at work, and i don't really want music stuff on it (plus, with samples and everything, it wouldn't fit on the relatively small SSD).

some vsts will work without installation. a lot of them still require installation though, especially things that want license keys, or use license managers (soft elicenser, ilok, ni's service center, ik's auth manager, etc). depends on the type of vst, ymmv.

So it's probably less of a hassle to just install it into the C drive then

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”