Not As We Know It (ElectroProg - Seismic Genetic Meddling)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This one took 12 hours to record in May 2010. The July 2012 remix took about 18 hours, 3 of which were wasted following an EnergyXT crash during a monster EQ session, where I failed to save any updates :lol: The original track featured the Kore Player Sky Kit, which died with my old computer. This presented an excellent opportunity for a comprehensive shakedown of my recently-acquired C&V SDX kit, (whose settings I did remember to save after finalising the project) :)

This track was composed rather differently to my normal M.O. Instead of building blocks of music individually and assembling tracks from these blocks, this was composed sequentially over 1 weekend.

Stylistically speaking, this track is best described as hybrid.

EDIT: 20170403 - removed mp3 link

http://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/not-as-we-know-it

EDIT: 20170716 - 2017 remix

Devices and Paraphernalia

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.2/Remixed in EnergyXT2.6/EnergyXT2.7
SQ8L
EMU Proteus-VX
Superior Drummer 2.3 C&V SDX
Square 1
Independence Free 2.0
Ibanez Gio
Pod Farm 2.0
NI Pro-53
EnergyXT Delay
IK Classik Studio Reverb
Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 13
Last edited by seismic1 on Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:14 am, edited 5 times in total.

Lots of cool parts in here, very cool!

mr.me wrote:Lots of cool parts in here, very cool!
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, mr.me. Glad you liked it :)

Good to see you on the Cloud now.

Initially this track threw me... not what I was excepting. However, as usual from you seismic, there are some great sounds and melodies. I have only listened on headphones but your typical high standard of mixing still seems present too.

Nice one man.

n0rd wrote:Initially this track threw me... not what I was excepting. However, as usual from you seismic, there are some great sounds and melodies. I have only listened on headphones but your typical high standard of mixing still seems present too.

Nice one man.
It's good to occasionally deviate from the norm with a piece in a different style. I hope you were able to re-orient yourself after the experience :)

The melodies were mine, but all of the synth sounds are patches taken from the supplied presets with the occasional modification, although the drumkit was built from the SD C&V SDX and then heavily modified. I've done about 40 mixes over the last 13 months, and hope that I have learned something along the way, but I'm sure I can improve this further.

Glad you liked it, n0rd and thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment :)

seismic1 wrote:It's good to occasionally deviate from the norm with a piece in a different style.
Completely agree.

very interesting tune. i particularly like the section towards the end where the guitar comes in and it gets a bit ominous/aggro. great stuff Tim.

neil.

macmurphy wrote:very interesting tune. i particularly like the section towards the end where the guitar comes in and it gets a bit ominous/aggro. great stuff Tim.

neil.
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Neil. Glad you liked it and glad you liked the "riffage" :)

"ominous/aggro" - I didn't see it that way while putting this together, but after taking a step back to survey the carnage, it's quite obvious :dog: mr.me alluded to the same thing on the Cloud.

Great piece of music Tim, crystal clear mix, nicely programmed drums, good bass groove, lovely synth sounds and now nice axe-spankin' too :D

Good work :)

mikusan wrote:Great piece of music Tim, crystal clear mix, nicely programmed drums, good bass groove, lovely synth sounds and now nice axe-spankin' too :D

Good work :)
Thanks very much for listening and the great comments, Mike. Glad you liked it :)

I can't take credit for all of the guitars. Those at the beginning were played on the Ibanez, but the guitar at the end was Independence Free

:)

Fascinating piece Tim... really enjoyed this! I love hearing someone from a new perspective. That organ and stereo guitars groove at the beginning, the slightly dissonant bits and the spooky theremin-like part, lots to love here.

:love:

p.s. good to see you've grabbed C&V, hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Image Image

polyslax wrote:Fascinating piece Tim... really enjoyed this! I love hearing someone from a new perspective. That organ and stereo guitars groove at the beginning, the slightly dissonant bits and the spooky theremin-like part, lots to love here.

:love:

p.s. good to see you've grabbed C&V, hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Matt. Glad you enjoyed it :)

I hope the dissonant reference is related to the bass sound during the "pseudo-jazz" sections and not the guitar tuning :lol:

That C&V SDX is pretty comprehensive. Some great sounds in that set for sure. My next track features a totally different "kit" :wink:

Very cool. I picture a hungover man walking along a beach in a resort town, passing by various groups of people. Hints of trouble that never quite blow up into the full thing. Well done and enjoyable. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

Very tasty, as per my comments on t'cloud!

I never know where your music is going to take me, and it's all the better for it! :)

D.H. Miltz wrote:Very cool. I picture a hungover man walking along a beach in a resort town, passing by various groups of people. Hints of trouble that never quite blow up into the full thing. Well done and enjoyable. Thanks.
I think you must have seen my holiday snaps from '88 :) Trouble seemed to follow me around that year, but, thankfully, kept its distance.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting DHM. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Return to “Music Cafe”