Synths that import samples/wavs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm wondering what softsynths can import wavs into the Osc section to be manipulated. From the DNR site, I've found these so far:

Vember Surge
Wusikstation V7
NI Absynth
U-he Zebra
Gladiator
SynthMaster
Helix
Alchemy
Rapture
Circle
Discovery
Corona
Rhino
Harmor
Toxic
ElectraX
Blofeld
PPG 3.V

Any other softies that I didn't list? And on a side discussion note, are there certain synths (that can import samples) you think are the best for mangling and modulating the sample to give it new character?

Most of the synths you're listing use single cycle waveforms. It is of course a sample, but not as if you could just dump any sample in there. Looking for a sampler with mangling possibilities, or a wavetable/wavecycle synth?
If the latter, look at Z3ta for instance, if you want to mangle the wavecycle.

Since PRIZM is a Wusik-based synth, it loads samples as well.

Klang Drum Machine and Groove Blox vsti loads wave files. These are more about layering sounds.

Monstrous loads soundfonts and has filters and other features to manipulate the sound a bit.

Mike

Xhip can do it too.
Just click on the WAV button to load a sample of your choice, then pick it from a list as a waveform in oscillator section.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

All three of the Vaz Synths should be on the list. The patches of Vaz Plus can be loaded into the more advanced Vaz 2010, and it's patches in turn can be loaded into and expanded upon and turned around in Vaz Modular. With a little knowledge of wavetable scanning and FM combined with the routing and modulation possibilities of Vaz 2010 or Vaz Modular you can mangle things up pretty good, or bad if you so desire. Vaz Modular adds a granular oscillator to mangle things up even more and make hybrid creations or layering etc. Samples can be set just to modulate filters and other things without being heard in themselves, or the same sample loaded into different sorts of oscillators where one of them is processed by filters (or why not other processors?) that are in turn modulated by a quite different version of the same sample etc etc. Possibly Vaz Plus is too simple to be considered, mainly plain wav playback with that so I'd just add Vaz 2010 and Vaz Modular if it was up to me.

Otherwise I'd say Alchemy can do crazy things to wavs, though it might take some getting used to deciding if you'd want to import them for additive resynthesis or granular processing or you want to try something more traditional etc.

Thank you for reminding me I need to explore Surge more, will look into how it can mangle up wavs later. :)

MUX Vst can load any waveform into its anti-aliased oscillators. And besides that it can also play samples and multi-samples.

Sugar Bytes Cyclop should be in this list.
BDeep wrote:Most of the synths you're listing use single cycle waveforms. It is of course a sample, but not as if you could just dump any sample in there. Looking for a sampler with mangling possibilities, or a wavetable/wavecycle synth?
If the latter, look at Z3ta for instance, if you want to mangle the wavecycle.
I'm curious why some synths can only load single cycle waveforms and not a whole sample, of say me talking into a mic. Files too big to handle for some synths?

Yeah, they use it as an oscillator, like saw or square waveforms. But in those you can import your own, all they do is repeat the thing over and over again. A voice of you singing in a mic wouldn't give favorable results (regardless of how good a singer you may or may not be ;))
It must be said, it is very interesting to work with single cycle waveforms. But I guess you would be looking at Alchemy, Synthmaster, Absynth and the likes. (am not really familiar with many of those so I'm not trying to be complete ;))

stikygum wrote:I'm wondering what softsynths can import wavs into the Osc section to be manipulated. From the DNR site, I've found these so far:

Vember Surge
Wusikstation V7
NI Absynth
U-he Zebra
Gladiator
SynthMaster
Helix
Alchemy
Rapture
Circle
Discovery
Corona
Rhino
Harmor
Toxic
ElectraX
Blofeld
PPG 3.V

Any other softies that I didn't list? And on a side discussion note, are there certain synths (that can import samples) you think are the best for mangling and modulating the sample to give it new character?
Zebra can not import Wave-Files.

cronox3 soon to be updated to crx4

PietW. wrote:Zebra can not import Wave-Files.
Not in itself, but there's tools like one called Wav2Zebra2 or something like that. I don't have a license for Zebra 2 (not yet, anyway) so can't say for sure how well that works. This thread is old, but might help make matters more clear. Not sure Zebra 2 should be on the list when it requires seperate software for this, opinions anyone?

V-GER wrote:
PietW. wrote:Zebra can not import Wave-Files.
Not in itself, but there's tools like one called Wav2Zebra2 or something like that. I don't have a license for Zebra 2 (not yet, anyway) so can't say for sure how well that works. This thread is old, but might help make matters more clear. Not sure Zebra 2 should be on the list when it requires seperate software for this, opinions anyone?
The tool works very well and you can do so brilliant wavetables. Sounds like a PPG are no problem with it. It's great fun.

You can use Audio-Term for Gladiator. . So you can render WAV files and then build with the re-synthesis tool from Tone2 new Morphtables.

I believe several of the HG Fortune synths allow the loading of SF2 files.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

Return to “Instruments”