RealGuitar (and RealStrat/RealLP) 3 -- thoughts, issues etc?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MusicLab have released version 3 of these three products this week. I thought it might be useful to start this thread as a place for folks who buy to share thoughts, impressions, caveats, tips etc. I purchased RealGuitar V3 but am a bit too tied up with work at the moment to install and try it out, but when I do, will share anything newsworthy here.

Items of interest might include things like installation issues (e.g., if you already have a Version 2 instrument); compatability etc with various hosts; this "Strumminator" thing which lets you play it using a GuitarHero controller; etc.

If at all possible, it would be great if this doesn't become a thread to start comparing MusicLab's products to other guitar VSTis and sample sets, or where fans of one instrument start commenting on the ugliness of the mothers of fans of the others. There are plenty of other threads covering that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

I'm using the RG series since version one, and I had zero problems in terms of updating. RG3(s) install alongside the elder installations. While installing the sample content, it even checks on what's installed already (read: the sample content) in a common folder. If you have a DLL in your VST plugin directory, it will link to the most current RG version, not elder ones - so keep that in mind.

Compatibility with Cubase is excellent, worked right out of the box. There might be some minor issues on Mac however, but the devs were working on it and should be fixed by now.

The Strumminator Technology is great! Though I had a couple of issues with it and filed tons of reports. One being a bug that is still hard to track: a multi note event bug. I didn't test the most current version yet, but with Release Candidates, and with multiple instances of RG(s) (meaning: RG, RLPC and RS running) results in 3-note-events while recoding MIDI. So if you record with Stumminator (Joystick mode), use one guitar type only. Playback doesn't matter.

Another thing I encountered was with certain XB360 wireless gaming receivers. Since the original is not sold anymore, you can pretty much get rebuilds only. This results in RG(s) not recognizing the pitch strip, the strumming and switching the colored buttons (yellow and blue). If you attach a cabled controller, it's fine. If you have a PS3 controller, you shouldn't run into problems, since each GH pack for PS3 came with an USB receiver. Drivers for Windows/Mac might be an issue - this is out of the hands of Musiclab however.

Else - it's so simple to throw down some guitar tracks with the Strumminator technolgy, it's not even funny. Reminds me of old RealGuitarrist by Steinberg - only with more flexibility. Don't know if Drop C/D does work in that mode however with the most current version. With Release Candidates, only standard E tuning worked.

I hope I see some FR's ported for the Joystick mode in future updates. Like: strumming patterns for Strum and Bass&Strum mode while using the ColorTab mode. Bass&Picking or just Picking mode is freely customizable however. Though all this is only triggerable with "upstrumming" only - not good if you're used to up/downstrum.

Else... all guitars are still great tools that need(!) tweaking prior to applying proper effects (I recommend changing the ALTER number from 2 to 5 for even moe randomness on retriggering the same note). In case of RG, you need additional EQ and compression, in case of RS/RLPC, you need to control the tone prior to a guitar amp, maybe even use a gain plugin pre-guitar amp. Then it's excellent - even if the samples seem to be that old.

And IMO one of the best upgrades ever for RealGuitar: finally keyswitching in MIDI mode. Now you can do the same in RG as with RS/RLPC since the brain is now the same.

Is the software worth it? Yes - it's still a serious competition to what's out there already. And I hope that Musiclab doesn't turn radio silent again after the wave of interest is over.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Maybe I'm Slow, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the differences between Real Guitar 2.5 & Real Guitar 3? Any links showing what exactly is new?

edit: finally found it http://www.musiclab.com/products/realgu ... rsion.html

Going to have to give the demo a try and see if its with the upgrade...
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

Compyfox: thanks for sharing all that. Really valuable, detailed stuff. Let me ask -- have you tried different strumminator controllers, enough to recommend one over the others?

Well, in terms of Guitar Hero controllers, you should be save to use either a wireless or a cabled one. Then it depends on the console type: PS2, PS3, XB360, Wii or the GH2 PC builds.

I haven't tested the PC builds, the PS2/PS3 guitars, neither did I test a Wii guitar (which involved tons of problems setting up a HID BlueTooth device for the WiiMote, etc), but I went through a couple of XB360 controllers. A sidenote: PS2 guitars with adapters are crap: whammy bar and tilt sensors usually don't work, and PC guitars are... well... outdated. PS3 guitars might be the most hassle free, since they come with an own wireless receiver, but then it's all about the drivers for PC/Mac. And since I have tons of GH games for XB360 here at home, and I'm on PC, it was logical for me to go the XB360 controller route.

It depends on what you actually want to pull off, and with what you feel the most comfortable with. I tested the GH2 Explorer (cabled), the GH3 "Gibson Type" wireless and the GH4/5 wireless guitars with touch strip (which is also larger than the other ones). Since I didn't get an original wireless gaming receiver anymore (they're not sold anymore), I snagged a cheap china build off of the net. I don't know if there's a learn function built in now, but I remember that my module wasn't recognized properly by the RG(s) and this had to be manually fixed. I also forwarded the info, that I might not be the only one with that issue.

I felt most comfortable with the GH4/5 one due to the size (and no cables), but all other guitars worked just as well. On the elder ones, I only missed out on the touch strip (which I barely use, since it's wonky on my end), then the star power button is placed different (it's at the bridge position with the GH4/5 guitars, for GH3 guitars it's bottom right) and the so called Whammy Bar is also more comfortable with newer builds.

I also recommend a full body guitar, not the GH6 Warriors of Rock guitar. Depending on your style of play, you can even use that one. But if you consider playing like in the official videos, a full body guitar is more comfortable. Hint from my side: you can remove the scratchplate with most wireless guitars - this might feel more comfortable to you as well. I left mine on, since I use the controller like I'd play the GH games, not how the devs play it in the official videos.

Another not to underestimate thing is the maintenance with GH4/5 guitars. If something breaks, it can be easily repaired with standard electronic spareparts. Not so with elder guitars. But this is a different topic all together.

Can't say anything about the YouRock guitar or the RockBand guitars, other than the RockBand one not having the touch strip (but buttons at this place, at least one generation of it) and the star power button is also somewhere beyond your hands reach.

The main difference between RG2.5 and RG3:
- drop C tuning (for all guitar types)
- the Stereo mode changed in tone a bit (at least to my impression)
- the brain is now the same of RS/RLPC, meaning: keyswitches for MIDI mode
- important for MIDI guitar users: an own MIDI guitar mode

At least this is what I remember off hand which sounds most important. A ton more improvements of course. Though I would have loved to see all guitars incorporated into one brain/GUI, but I can still dream.

And one FR from got ported for the keyswitches (if I'm not totally mistaken):
- 5th up and 4th down power chords in the Intervall keyswitch

EDIT:
To those thinking about further controlling the RG(s) in Joystick mode. While in Joystick mode, the VSTi still responds to MIDI CC and MIDI Note On events. The Joystick mode is actually triggered in the range of somewhat around C8 to F8.

So if you use a fully configurable MIDI foot controller like the Behringer FCB1010, you can switch play modes on the fly (start button plus a certain colored button, you can setup your foot switches to trigger chords (in "SmartStrum/SmartString" mode for example), you can setup one of the triggers to trigger the Star Power (for example for muted guitar play - which might work better for metal than with alternate hitting on the Star Power button, or you trigger Harmonics on held star power), etc, etc, etc.

It might be a mighty asset to drastically enhance your recordings. And you don't need to pre-record certain MIDI tracks in order to jam along on the GH guitar.

Come to think of it... *takes a look on s/h prices* :hihi:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Downloaded the demo and found the new look to be quite nice.....but nothing else has changed! It still sounds the same, and I couldn't find a single "enhanced" feature! Ok, so it now goes down to drop C, but I never found that a limitation in my own acoustic guitar writing. I also have no desire for the strumminator / midi guitar technology. Granted it could be cool and fun for other people, but to me its worthless as I will never use it.
Compyfox wrote: - the brain is now the same of RS/RLPC, meaning: key switches for MIDI mode
What exactly does this mean? I seem to have all the same key switches available in RG 2 as are available in RG 3, unless I'm missing something? On a side note, I really hoped RG 3 would allow me to choose and use my own midi CC's assignments instead of key switches, which is a shame.

For me and how I use real guitar, its $39 upgrade for a new GUI, which for me is not worth it. Seems to have the EXACT same core functionality (except the addition of Strumminator and tuning down to C) but in a shinny new box. PASS! Are there even any new strumming patterns or enhancements to the strumming engine?
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

No, no new strumming patters. But I had some mails with the devs regarding a new patter sequencer mode inspired by engines like OTS, Ilya Efimov and SugarBytes. It's on a very long FR list which spawned from FRs from RG2 users and from Betatesters of RG3, which might happen this time around within the RG3 cycle. At least to a certain extend.

You can use MIDI learn for MIDI CC values IIRC, though not too certain on that. The manual has a drastically updated MIDI CC list. So any fully customizable controller like te BCR2000 or the Behringer Foot Controller FCB1010 might be a suitable asset to drastically enhance your playability with the RG engines.

The "keyswitches" (brain) of RG3 are like with RealStrat and RealLPC now. Something that was not(!) present with RG2. It's a retangular button in the bottom left section of the GUI (explicity called "Key Switches", formerly "KS" in RS/RLPC).

What it does is basically offering you a 2x20-something chart with keyswitches ranging from C0 to D1 and from C5 to G6 IIRC. With this you can trigger additional stuff that is not triggered by velocity play, permanent FX or pedal FX, not even modwheel or pitch wheel. Generally more routing capabilities than before. With the brain from RS/RLPC, you don't need ToolBox anymore to switch on the fly from chords mode to solo mode and vice versa. Or do some crazy routing in your DAW. I'd say this is the biggest improvement and long overdue.

Also new is a chord editor for the "chords" mode (people asked for custom chords and sus4 ones up and down - now you can create your own!). Another not to underestimate feature while songwriting.

Take another look at the features. The new "v3" features are marked as such (V3). With more free updates/enhancements to follow.

http://www.musiclab.com/products/realgu ... tures.html

Also maybe not that interesting to you, but there is also a new "MIDI guitar" mode, for even better setup for those that use guitar->MIDI adapters.

The Strumminator technology might not be your thing. But I can confirm that it's dead simple to use, and ton of fun to play.

I can't try to convince you, you have to test the RG3 engine yourself. If you say it doesn't offer anything new to you - don't upgrade. It's a fair upgrade price however compared to the old upgrade cycles. And who knows what else might spawn from it (finally a bass? I also asked for more electric guitars and more acoustic ones).

One way or another, it's still one of the best guitars out there in terms of playability, RAM and CPU usage. Tweaking the sound to your needs is another thing (though nothing that EQ/compression/delay in send can't do).

Compyfox (or anyone else) -- sorry for the naive question. I don't own any video game consoles so am not familiar with all the kit etc. Sergey at MusicLab posted that "RG 3 (Mac/PC) will support Guitar Hero for PS3 controllers
/Note, no game console needed, only USB wireless receiver/
Best (fully functional) is Guitar Hero World Tour or Guitar Hero 5 model, used on demo "

I just want to be sure, so that I avoid buying the wrong thing...On ebay someone is selling a "Official Wireless Guitar Hero World Tour Controller for use with PS3 Guitar Hero game.... [comes with a ] PS3 wireless receiver dongle to fit on USB port of PS3." Is this all I need? If I plug the dingle into my Windows PC usb port, RG3 should recognise it, and we're good to go?

Guitar Hero games were shipped in two flavours so to speak: with controller, and without controller (just the game). Actually, the PS3 variant is the most simplest way to go since it comes with a wireless receiver (PS3 guitars are wireless only!) - let's call it "carefree pack". You don't need any game, nor any video game console in order to use the Strumminator technology. Only if you want to have the joy to play the game as well (which I had already).

Important is that the game comes with the controller and the receiver (in case of the PS3 version, it is bundled). The XBox (Windows) version does not(!) come with a gaming receiver adapter, and unfortunately don't offer a normal USB port. But the wireless gaming receiver can be found from chinese game hardware/gadget pages for like 10-15 bucks.

Else, either cabled USB type GH guitar works. Sergey said that the GH4 (World Tour) and GH5 controllers work best, but I can confirm that at least every XB controller (GH2 to GH5, don't have a GH6 Warriors of Rock one) works complete with tilt, star power, whammy bar, etc.

Then the next step is to install drivers for Windows / Mac.

For Windows with XB360 guitars it's fairly simple, since Microsoft offers these drivers on their own page for the XB360 gamepads (drivers are the same for GH guitars and wireless adapters). For PS3 guitars on Windows, you need to look on Google (search: PS3 controller Windows driver). Same with Mac, but for either console versions (PS3/XB360).

The drivers that communicate with the controller and the VSTi come bundled with the RealGuitars.

This is how I usually set them up in Cubase:

MIDI Input: ALL MIDI In (if I want to control RG/RS/RLPC 3 simultaneously with a keyboard/controller and the GH guitar) or Game Controller 1
MIDI Output: either RealGuitar

RealGuitar (either version): set to Joystick mode. Sometimes I even mess with the configuration of this mode to either further randomize the tilt values of the guitar, activate the pitch strip, etc. The routing of the buttons/whammy bar depends on your needs while realtime play.

Oh and... Guitar Hero is not sold anymore (even though rumor has it, that GH7 is on front doors). And even then, prices beyond 60-70USD for either bundle (game and controller) is a ripoff, especially if used. MSRP in Germany was 59-69EUR for a new set while the game was still available.

RockBand equipment (guitars) might also work, though I can't confirm it since I don't have either of these modules. Though I suspect it to work. The hardware is based upon the GH systems since the RockBand developers were originally the Guitar Hero developers and split off with GH3/GH4.

I hope this helps you folks get going.

TO THOSE THAT DON'T HAVE A GAMING CONTROLLER (but still want to use/test the Strumminator technology):

You can create a make-shift guitar with your keyboard (since it's simpler to trigger chords than in MIDI or CHORD mode). The colored buttons (Green, Red, Yellow, Blue, Orange) correspond to MIDI Note On events ranging from (IIRC) F#8 to D8, Up/down strum is then C8/C#8, and star power should be either A or B/H. Please consult the manual or do some tests yourself to find the correct keys.

This means:

If you're challenged to do play the RG engine otherwise (e.g. you're lost on chords, or you're not good at playing keyboard) - Setup your RG/RS/RLPC to Joystick mode, route your MIDI keyboard to the VSTi, and play along. For simpler recognition of the keys, I recommend labeling the keys with tape. The "tilt" (which controls the velocity of the strumming) can be ignored, the harder you press the up/downstroke key, the harder you strum the guitar.

If you had a real GH/RockBand guitar, the tilting of it would take care of that. The buttons and strum knob is not velocity sensitive!

And most important: have fun.
Though here is a savety guide for you. ;)

As always, thanks very much Compy. Just ordered the controller. Fingers crossed....

You won't be dissapointed either way.

Some info for those that want to snag elder versions of the GH guitar:

GH2 "Explorer" style Guitar (PS2 and XB360 only IIRC):
- whammy bar is short
- Star Power (Select/Back) and Start Button in bottom right corner and therefore hard to reach
- There is no PS3 version existing, but XB360 cabled one
- no touch sensor

GH3 "Gibson" style guitar:
- the first wireless guitars for both PS3/XB360 (GH3 for PS2 was cabled, red full body - last game for this console)
- whammy bar is short
- Star Power (Select/Back) and Start Buttom are way larger, but stll in the bottom right corner. With mods it's possible to trigger the star power with the palm (but doesn't look pretty)

GH 4 (World Tour) / GH5 Fender escque style guitar:
- guitar is considerably larger than GH2 and GH3 guitars (about 10cm alltogeher), so is the strumm bar
- Star Power (Select/Back) and Start Button are in form of a guitar bridge, rotated and placed like a guitar bridge as well
- Whammy Bar is twice as long as before
- touch sensor strip
- guitar buttons are more quiet overall due do different parts for the strum bar (due to micro switches, which are easy to repair if broken, or easy to bend if you want to change the response) and the colored buttons

GH6 (Warriors of Rock) "Axe" style guitar:
- guitar similar in size of the GH4/5 guitar
- no full body, but like e-bows cut down in frame. Looks like an axe to fit to the style of the game (uncomfortable to play), sides are detachable
- Star Power button (Select/Back) is still in form of a bridge, but smaller in size. Don't know where the Start button went (barely needed in the game)
- Whammy bar seems shorter again
- no touch sensor strip
- electronics changed

That's about it.
Keep in mind that I do not(!) recommend GH1/GH2 guitars for PS2 - no USB adapter interprets the Whammy Bar and to certain extent, neither tilt. And Wii guitars not only need a hard to setup BlueTooth adapter, but have way different configurations than PS3/XB360 guitars.

I can't say anything to the "YouRock" guitar, nor the RockBand guitars (they don't have a touch sensor strip). Since the YouRock guitar works in USB mode however, it should work. So should the RockBand guitars (since they're similar in use like GH3 guitars). But don't quote me on that.

PC guitars are usually (don't quote me on that) cabled ones right off the bat, but rare (nobody wanted that game on PC).

Let's bump this one, shall we?
I'm sure that lingyai and I aren't the only RG3 engine users.

And speaking of which... any news on the guitar controller front, lingyai?

Compyfox wrote:Let's bump this one, shall we?
I'm sure that lingyai and I aren't the only RG3 engine users.

And speaking of which... any news on the guitar controller front, lingyai?
I ordered the controller... hopefully will arrive in time for me to try on the weekend!

Since I'm shamefully ignorant about anything to do with GH and not likely to get and struggle to interface the hardware to my Mac, is there really anything else compulsive about the RG family in version 3?

Genuinely puzzled why this release isn't a 2-dot one…

Any arguments to the contrary?

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Again, read up on the changes especially for RealGuitar (acoustic) - this one got the most updates (aparently, even new samples due to the pick position now).

Granted, RealStrat and RealLPC could have been a 2-dot update. But I think the implementation of a new custom chord system (Chords mode), native MIDI guitar and the Strumminator Technology (which was once planned to be released seperately if I may add) make up to it.

Then again... if you're a user of elder versions, the upgrade cycle is fair (IMO) compared to elder upgrades.

BTW:
Finally in the news section of KVR now.

Return to “Instruments”