SUCCESSFUL X79 / 3930K Builds? ( Mobo + 4X8Gb ram config?)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm in that matter of 3930k based since months ,and every shop i visited gave me almost OPPOSITE tips ( each other i mean) .
"dont even touch asus x79" etc.
Grappling my head ,i swear on my mighty balls i cant find a decent sure solution.I dont need a genral "BRAND recommendation",
rather
I would like to read about succesful outcome of exact build

AND in particular if possible ,
A working build of 3930k + MOBO + 4X8GB of the "right" memory

"right memopry" because i did read there and there could be a culprit ,that you could need 1.35V 8gb ones ,and sort of .
But also so poor info abouit ,and could "batch" memory problems related

ALSO i need something that i can find in Italy ,
as i need that for taxing porpouse .

Looks like Here there are not DAW builder,not at least knowledgeable into x79
at all it looks actually( ).

i even got a quote from an INTEL -related shop ,
and received a very USELESS mail with no components-name inside ,
Except the processor and the coooler
(the very same cooler which the seller
strongly disagreed ,but then he gave me that one into the quote..go figure).
and 4x4GB intead of 8X4gb ram as i requested ,and ..
And a "Stellar Price" because is 1000% intel / stable guaranteed

So any of you HAS a system based on that spec completely working?
I dont trust shops anymore ,but i like
to order that in a physical source so i can another one assemble for me at least the parts.
(not ordering outside of Italy or i could not tax discharging stuff ,and i need that )
________

i did read here and elsewhere a lot ,
just did'nt find the "outcoming "of many system thread ,only the discussion about .
Last edited by alexlotta on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

i'm using a dx79si with a i7 3930k along with ,conservatively choosen, kingston hyper x genesis ram,(i would recommend 4x4gb 1600).
noctua nh-d14 cooler works fine.

to be honest,spending a bit more money is worth every penny,i will definitely never ever go back to a intel consumer plattform.

i just enabled the 4 ghz automatic profile in the bios and the comp is drastically increasing/drecreasing the mhz from unbelievable 1500mhz to 4ghz without hiccups,although you can enable a fixed value in the win 7 energy options but nevertheless it's saving quite a lot of power.

else,this computer is absolutley the best i ever had, absolutely no problems.

if you can afford a rme card it is truly a breeze,in my case i'm using a aio.:D
even the old pci slot works perfectly if you need it.

i'm also using a intel 80gb ssd and what can i say? people who do not recommend such a system don't have any clue.

Gigabyte. That word should be enough. :)

which gigabyte? are you using a x79 system?

Nope, but from my experience generally Gigabyte > Asus, or anything else for that matter (except EVGA).

there is anyway nothing else like asus and gigabyte. :D

i mentioned this specific intel board and i wouldn't recommend the lower x79 intel class.
same goes for asus and gigabyte.

i guess a rule of thumb is always using the second expensive board from a certain line because of the price/value ratio but i wouldn't recommend all boards from a certain manufacturer at all.
also gigabyte has its quirks and black sheeps.

i researched weeks to find this board,weeks before x79 was released,unil i just guessed and thought,who if not intel itself can write a proper bios. :hihi:

as a sidenote,i found the automatic oveclocking feature by accident.

after tring to manually adjust the overclocking i was rather disapointed and found it utter difficulty.
then i saw the automatic profiles,default,4ghz and 4.6ghz and just tried it and it worked like a charm from the first minute.
no need for any tune software.

no it wasn't obvious and nowhere written which i find honestly ridiculous.
Last edited by t3toooo on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EVGA are bitchin' mobos, a tier above Asus and Gigabyte for the most part. But they cost more, as well.

yes but the op point is which board to choose (see previous post). :)

btw,same goes for evga,there was a very disappointing line.
one developer quit the job and things went downhill,don't know how it is now.

yep thanks for the answer-
In fact "ASUS/Gygabyte better than ***" means almost nothing to me ,
i heard bad and smiles on every company
so if would ask kindly to do not suggest a board just because you love the brand ,but because you tried ,or verified from another ,that the combo is working ,if possible.

I wonder why cannot find a 4X8GB module on the market
and experiences about that ,i dont plan to use it always fully but certainly going loading orchestral nd synth stuff for composing.
Why you recommended 4X4?

_____
t3toooo
i suppose is the "medium range" motherboard you got .

I'll post here the quote i got from intel .I dunno if it's your mobo ,
i think it's the lower one.

Code: Select all

For 1.990,00€ + tax (2407,90€)

Motherboard: Chipset Intel X79 Express
 - CPU: Intel Quad Core I7-3930K, 3,20GHz (Intel Turbo 3,80GHz), 12MB, 5 GT/s, 64-bit, socket 2011
 - COOLER CPU: H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (FAN 1X120 mm.) alluminio
 - RAM: DDR3 4x4GB 1600MHZ XMP Triple Channel NON ECC CL9
 - ESPANDIBILITA' RAM: 8 DIMM (massimo 64GB)
 - HARD DISK: 2TB SATA3 6GB/s 7200RPM 64MB

SSD 2,5" 240GB SATA3 520-SERIES MLC 550/520 MB/s INTEL
 - RAID: RAID 0,1,5,10
 - SFW RAID: Intel Rapid recover technology
 - VIDEOCARD: GTX 660TI 2GB DDR5 DVI-D DVI-I HDMI
 - AUDIO: High Definition Audio 6 (5.1)
 -: Intel® Gigabit (10/100/1000 Mb/s) LAN subsystem using Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Controller
 - WIRELESS: opzionale
 - BLUETOOTH: opzionale
 - UNITA' OTTICA: DVD-RW DUAL LAYER
 - CARD READER: opzionale

internal ESPANSION:
 - SLOT PCI-E 3.0 x16: 1 (supporta fino a due vga certificate ATI CrossfireX e nVidia SLI)
 - SLOT PCI-E 2.0 x1: 2
 - SLOT PCI-E X4: 1
 - SLOT PCI: 1
 - SATA3 6GB/s: 1
 - SATA2 3GB/S: 3
 - USB 2.0: 4 (opzionali con l'acquisto del codice CRTCO50)
 - IEEE 1394a: 1 

external Connections:
 - USB 3.0: 2 posteriori
 - USB 2.0: 6 posteriori + 3 anteriori
 - IEEE 1394a: 1 posteriore
 - RJ45: 2
 - AUDIO I/O

UPGRADE OPTIONS:

i7-3960X  + 469,00€    

GTX670    + 149,00€  

t3toooo
i suppose is the "medium range" motherboard you got

nope,i choosed the best motherboard from intel in this case,i guessed that intel would do it right and i'm not dissapointed.
intel boards are sometimes a bit picky about ram brands that's why i went rather conservateley.
the reason why i choosed this board was stability,so there might be different reasons for choosing a board,e.g. very high overclockabillity.

i think the noctua cooler is better than the h80.
the GTX 660TI should be ok i don't know if you need a better videocard.

if the ssd is for the os,i would choose a smaller one like 120-160gb and buy another extra but it depends how much software you want to install.
yeah and why not a intel ssd for a intel board? :D

definitely,tell them that they do not give you a lower intel board,i don't know the latest intel board but it could be probably still the dx79si.

btw,do you want to build this computer by yourself?

i choosed 4x2 gb ram because i don't need so much but i would suggest to do a search for compatibillity on the net.
btw. intels ram recommendations are somehow,eh, hilarous... :hihi:
anyway,i think two matched 2x8gb pairs from the same brand should do the job.

get a good psu as well,like a better seasonic,maybe a gold.

thanks i did read a TON before to ask (including Daw builder posts around the web ,and i found discrepancy about Rams too ) ,
so i "hear you" on everything (also about ssd for samples etc ,really i almost vomited for how much i scrolled the net about ,
but i found so few posts about "final results" on x79 configuration).

For that Reason i would like to read about "SUCCESSFUL X79 building" like you and others possibly ,so i can see of i can manage to BUY HERE in ITALY same specs (i need for tax porpouse)

t3toooo
Checked:DX79SR is the newer "best" ,your is the previous one Flagship .
I have to see about intel or another one ,
i believed intel was mor serious in configuration building.

About intel "HILARIOUS" recommendation ;
The quoted one above is from INTEL.
Look at how horrible they quote things =
no name of the Motherboard, memory ,case ,psu or whatever ,
and i think the insane price is just because you have "100% intel certified".
even the video-optional upgrade is hilariously costing.

I asked about Noctua and H80 long before (those very 2 ones) ,and the seller
(the one that later on , forwarded the intel-quote above ),
strongly discouraged the ..H80 (which i got on the quote).

About Building myself:
too much hassle rather i would pay one to do it , even later on.
But i will check prices, i think is too costly the quote i got is the equivalent of 2 really good z77 computers!

alexlotta wrote: I wonder why cannot find a 4X8GB module on the market
and experiences about that ,i dont plan to use it always fully but certainly going loading orchestral nd synth stuff for composing.
Why you recommended 4X4?
8GB sticks are still quite a rarity as they are not really viewed as being mass market. They exist but not widely and you can always pick up 2 X 2X8Gb.
t3toooo wrote: nope,i choosed the best motherboard from intel in this case,i guessed that intel would do it right and i'm not dissapointed.
Not knocking your experience, but Intel hasn't sold a truely great board since the original X58 Bonetrail edition and even that was broken by some of the later bios updates. They do the job through if the you get it working right out of the box, but they are no way the safe option most people consider them to be.
t3toooo wrote: get a good psu as well,like a better seasonic,maybe a gold.
Best advice in the thread. So many systems are ruined by a substandard PSU being fitted.

Kaine wrote:
Not knocking your experience, but Intel hasn't sold a truely great board since the original X58 Bonetrail edition and even that was broken by some of the later bios updates. They do the job through if the you get it working right out of the box, but they are no way the safe option most people consider them to be.

eh? can you report anything bad about my board beside the usb 3 hiccups which where solved after a couple of bios updates this year? :o

most people bashing intel boards because it's made by foxconn... and there are quality concerns,which i'm not more worried about than any other apple computer.
most of those people do not even own a intel board themself but talking bad about any intel board.

however,that must be said,they have no clue,otherwise i need facts about my board,because it was fairly expensive and in this case i say,"you pay what you get".

stability wise i trust intel much more than any other brand but then i'm not tweaking,just customizing and it just works.

beside that,intel boards are not very prominent and intel don't want it to be,for a good reason.

like i said,ram is the biggest issue with intel boards being very picky,that's why i said,"go conservative".

i rarely mention anything to do with what mobo as its the one thing we dont disclose..
i was unable to use the Intel X79 board, even after numerous emails to intel 3rd level engineers in the motherboard group obtaining several bios updates never realeased to the public.

various issues with it including fully populated ram banks and especially with 8x8gig.
heat issues was another.
i would prefer to use intel as i get a $2 kick back on them (it adds up) plus its adds to my quarterly/yearly total with intel. sadly aint happening..

i wont comment on the rest

Ram: on the X79 you MUST HAVE 1.35V ram period if you want to run it @ 1600.
this is particularly true with 8 gig sticks and any processor other than the 3960X (not sure on the 3970X but willing to bet its memory controller is different as well)
samsung chips are ideal and generally the only thing that works right.

we are fortunate in that we get our ram direct from Top Power in Tawain and we have the eeprom programed to our specs and choose what chips they use.

thats the best answer i can give you without showing my hand more than i have

Scott
ADK

I can echo Scotts experiences completely. They used to be the go to choice up to about 3 or 4 years ago, but they really did a number of X58 support right down to the last few months of the board being in circulation where it became unstable to the point of being completely useless.

Each range refresh since then we get sent the Intel gear first and they are fiddly, unstable and just a general PITA to use. Your right on it being picky on the memory, but when your memory controller is built in to the chip the is no real reason why it should be any harder to work with than any other brand on the market, unless the is something else that isn't performing at its best somewhere.

As for people avoiding them because they use Foxconn... hell if that was the case, I'd never ship anything from this building!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”