Effect plug-in for Standalone instruments--no host?

Official support for: xoxos
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I posted a similar question in the Hosts forum and received little interest. Then it occurred to me that the one person who might be interested in such an idea had his own forum here, so...:

Is it possible to make effects that do not need a host like Cubase or Logic, and could be just inserted between a standalone instrument and the audio outs?

The general idea is that for playing live, cutting out the host would save memory and cpu. So no host is better. Windows or the Mac OS would be the host. AmpliTube and other amp sims can take a signal from an input, mangle it, and send it to the outs. So...is there a way to capture an internal signal and do the same thing without having to load an audio router of some sort? (The more I load a host and click around to find and load vsti's and then vst effects, the more I get tired of it.)

How about this ?

http://www.ddmf.eu/product.php?id=8

Haven't tried it myself but it came tomy mind when reading your post. Maybe it fits your needs?

edit:
Yeah, it is actually an Audio router but no host in the traditional sense I think.

i started using audio in the win32 sdk earlier this year but have not investigated apprehending the stream out. obviously it's possible due to apps that record system audio. i'm not sure how closely they guard their technique since they seem to want to charge a buttload for it.

maybe one day.. the fellow you want is hermann seib, in the dsp forum ;)

although really, i think it would be easiest to use a normal host, and simply put less plugins in it.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Well, I tried the DDMF program, and while like the idea, it's giving me latency. So it's back to using a host. Thanks for the suggestions.

Not anything useful for you, but that's one of the reasons I switched to Linux : with jack you can connect everything to everything...
You can't always get what you waaaant...

Jake Jackson wrote:I posted a similar question in the Hosts forum and received little interest. Then it occurred to me that the one person who might be interested in such an idea had his own forum here, so...:

Is it possible to make effects that do not need a host like Cubase or Logic, and could be just inserted between a standalone instrument and the audio outs?

The general idea is that for playing live, cutting out the host would save memory and cpu. So no host is better. Windows or the Mac OS would be the host. AmpliTube and other amp sims can take a signal from an input, mangle it, and send it to the outs. So...is there a way to capture an internal signal and do the same thing without having to load an audio router of some sort? (The more I load a host and click around to find and load vsti's and then vst effects, the more I get tired of it.)
Rogue Amoeba's Audio hijack pro allows you to take any audio signal on your Mac and record it, but more than this there is plug in series chain matrix after the capture(hijack) but before record where you can insert your effects. I've been using it with Iris, and Chromaphone and inserting Valhalla room and Arts Acoustic CL series compressor..

You don't need to record the signal if you just want this for live playing. Then you would use in Hijack mode without enabling record.

Soundflower is another application on the mac that allows for routing between stand alone apps, but as far as i can see there aren't that many effects that have standalone versions

There is also yellow tools Freedom an old program but it hosts effect and vst's.

Vienna Ensemble pro is also a host that can take signals and route them through a channel strip of your chosen effects.
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

Return to “xoxos”