Cubase 7 crashes hard

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRAF
2675 posts since 5 Feb, 2004 from Nevada City, California

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:00 am

Anyone else find it totally unusable?

For me it crashes as soon as I load any VST from the VST Instrument panel. It gives the 'Save your work and reload Cubase' dialog, but then goes beyond crashed - I cannot save work or close, or end task, only reboot Windows 7 x64 which causes a BSOD on 'Shutting Down'.. I tested this a couple times to confirm..

I am a bit angry since I spent money that could have gone to Christmas gifts on something COMPLETELY USELESS! :(

Perhaps there will be a fix in the next few days at this rate because this is a little beyond unacceptable.

KVRist
157 posts since 8 Dec, 2006 from Germany

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:17 am

Hi,

same for me.
Cubase 7 (32-bit) on Win7-64.I can't open VSTI's. Always the same error.
It occurs also on the Cubase 7 integrated VSTI's like Padshop, Retrologue ....

Let's wait for the update.

KVRian
1023 posts since 13 Sep, 2006

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:05 am

Oh well, thanks for posting, I better upgrade my Studio One to 2.5 then. And wait for 7.1 ...

KVRAF

Topic Starter

2675 posts since 5 Feb, 2004 from Nevada City, California

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:36 am

Ya. I tried a few more times. Removed all VST 2 plugs. No dice - at best i can get cubase to close the project and force end task without rebooting.

I wonder if we share something in common... I have an older quad core - Intel Q9650 3.0ghz quad - no hyperthreads - 8gb ddr2 1066 - GeForce 560 ti - M-Audio Profire 610 - Gigabyte mobo - Powercore DSP - Cubase Studio 4.5 upgraded to Cubase 6 to 6.5.3 to 7.0.0 - Windows 7 x64 Ultimate - i also have some USB devices, but it is late at night to start going into that.. i would love to see something like a resolution when i wake up in 8 hours.. :help:

KVRAF
7365 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:49 am

Seems strange as there are not a lot of BSOD comments on the cubase board (there was only 1) so it cant be endemic. It does seem from the other coments that there a lot of bugs, other than the onces reported as known! I have my boxed upgrade, havent installed yet- may weait a while (although I am keen to see if the GUI is as bad and unreadable as some of the reports)

KVRAF
5368 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:24 am

Not such problems here with the 64Bit version.
Try to remove the settings folder, so Cubase can rebuild it (move it or rename the old, so it can be restored if this doesn't solve the problems).

It's stated by Steinberg that older VST plug-ins can freeze Cubase (Afaik with a VST SDK version < 2.4) and that Cubase 7 uses a bit more RAM (after my testings with the 64Bit version about 300MB). So older plug-ins and RAM could be a problem. Steinberg recommends for the RAM stuff, to use the 64Bit version.

As far as I know, there are some graphic bugs this time (resizing plug-in window will not resize the container window, so the plug-in is not completely visible).

KVRAF
4159 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:46 am

I am finding it ridiculous and irritating that every time cubase get next number, first bulk of orders are loyal users turned in to beta testers.

Every time it is crash fest..

WTF???

KVRAF
8000 posts since 22 Sep, 2008 from Windsor. UK

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:00 am

kmonkey wrote:I am finding it ridiculous and irritating that every time cubase get next number, first bulk of orders are loyal users turned in to beta testers.

WTF???
You could always move over to Live and still be beta testing a mature product.

KVRian
865 posts since 5 Jun, 2005

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:03 am

tehlord wrote:
kmonkey wrote:I am finding it ridiculous and irritating that every time cubase get next number, first bulk of orders are loyal users turned in to beta testers.

WTF???
Sad, but true!

exi
KVRer
28 posts since 12 Mar, 2003

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:25 am

creators of vst format cannot host it in own application :)

im glad i have not upgraded, i switched to other daw and keeping my c4 as a backup and for finalizing

otherwise features looks good, but i dont need them

KVRian
1023 posts since 13 Sep, 2006

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:35 am

tehlord wrote:

WTF???
:D

KVRAF
4159 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:06 am

tehlord wrote:

WTF???
Oh really funny. FYI i downloaded demo and it wasn't crashed not even once in 30 day period. And it's not that i use only a few VSTi instruments or effects. Everything i laoded inside worked. Literally.

On the other side they (live folks) at least have beta proram where anyone can participate on improving (what is so funny in that?). They don't milk their users on each number change like steiny is doing. And at least from what i understand they have issues but their issues aren't so ironic like creators of VST standard can't host their own instruments..

KVRist
190 posts since 20 Jun, 2002 from Calgary, Alberta

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:56 am

kmonkey wrote:I am finding it ridiculous and irritating that every time cubase get next number, first bulk of orders are loyal users turned in to beta testers. Every time it is crash fest..WTF???
And I find it ridiculous (and amusing) that people still waste good money (even after 7 full versions) to be "first" and still run with something on Day 1 and then complain that it's not stable?

How many times do you have to learn that it's NEVER stable until you allow the rest of the folks who won't wait either - the time to experience all the problems and then wait for the usual raft of maintenance releases...

My take - C7 will get solid right about the time that Nuendo 6 is finally released....

VP
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, Alberta
www.vocalpoint.ca

KVRAF
6148 posts since 4 Dec, 2004

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:17 am

Vocalpoint Studios wrote: And I find it ridiculous (and amusing) that people still waste good money (even after 7 full versions) to be "first" and still run with something on Day 1 and then complain that it's not stable?

VP
Puzzles me also. :shrug:

Cubase 7 seems to running fine for the majority but I don't get the "...gotta be one of the first people to have it..." thing either when it comes to paid updates, especially major version updates, when you can just wait for a demo and try it out a little bit first.

Obviously, some companies post a demo the same day as a thing is ready to buy but in other cases like where Steiny doesn't, just wait a few weeks? I've never "pre-ordered" a software update in my life and probably never will. The only thing I'll update or install without a demo is something free.

Anyway, C7 looks really great to me and it seems most are doing ok with it. Forums are hard to gauge because mostly only people with bugs or issues post about them after an update. I assume there are many more people happily working with it with no show-stopping issues.

KVRist
393 posts since 21 Sep, 2011 from Northern California

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:23 am

I got off the cubase bus when they went to version 6... without fixing major bugs in version 5. I spent more time trashing prefs and hunting down bugs than actually making music. Never been happier since I left.

Plus the users on the cubase forums are downright hostile so good luck getting help there :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”