bkFX v0.8.0 - Free Effects Suite - NEW down-/upward compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DuX wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:06 pm Love your plugins BK! d=:)

However, I've got a little bug report regarding Linux compatibility. In Debian Linux 10 I only get Erosion and Frequency Splitter VST3 to appear in Reaper 6.66. It is progress though, because this is the first time I get any of your plugins appear in Linux Reaper [since 1.7.1]. Could be that Debian 10 uses some older version of libs your plugins need. Interesting that these two work. You'll probably know what's up. :)

Reaper is getting CLAP support soon, so I'll give the CLAP versions a go, but I doubt they're gonna work since you probably used same newer libraries for compiling. I do use [very sparingly] a W7 laptop on the side so I can run your plugins there. ;) Thank you!

edit: Thanks to xwindows debugger, I found out that your plugins look for GLIB C Library version 2.29 to run. Here's the line for bkChannelTool.so:
swell: dlopen() failed: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /home/******/.vst3/bkFX/bkChannelTool.vst3/Contents/x86_64-linux/bkChannelTool.so)

Debian 10 comes with 2.28.10 installed and 11 comes with 2.31. I know I'm going to have to update at some point ;). How come Erosion and Frequency Splitter don't use the same C library as your other plugins? Weird.
That issue isn't "really" a bug--maybe an oversight. There are a couple of ways to get around this issue. The developer could recompile using an older distro that supports the older libraries, or you could wait until Debian catches up. I really like all that Debian offers, and I like how flexible it is. If you were willing, you could upgrade to Debian Testing, and follow the current track through to the next stable version. Things are far enough along that you'll likely not see to many problems. Your system would then be following a much newer track, and that library will likely be the version you need in Debian Testing. So, even though I don't really think the issue is a bug, there are some options to get around the problem.

Linux isn't great about forwards compatibility, but due to an immense effort started about 10 years ago to try to avoid breaking APIs/ABIs between major releases, great care is taken to maintain backwards compatibility. So, as long as you aren't using one of the stable/LTS distros, your problem will likely not show up.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Hey AJ-man from the Reaper forum. Good morning! :D

I'm always using Debian stable with backport updates and then, when I feel the time is right, update to the next stable upgrade. I noticed that some plugins aside from bk's would like to see some upgraded libraries, too in order to work. I'm sure the ones I use daily wouldn't mind, too. One most love Linux's debugging. So easy to find out what's up. ;)

When I use bk's effects in Windows 7 I really like them and use them a lot. So handy, and I used the delay a looot because despite tons of delay plugins in existance, his delay is 1) efficient [no GUI] 2) extremely flexible 3) sounds nice. So I miss them. I'll upgrade the distro as soon as next upgrade of Debian stable bullseye. I just do a distro-upgrade thing from the terminal. ;)
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Hi, Dux! Yep, I also hang out there. :) Nice to see you! :) I noticed that you just had your 20th anniversary this year at KVR—congratulations!! That’s quite a feat. There are a few of us still around since the early days. :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Hi Karrikuh,
I have tried some of your plugins and I must say that I really like them, especially the chorus which I am in love with. The problem I encounter is that in FL Studio 21 the controls are not accessible. I attach a screenshot of what the chorus looks like in FL. Congratulations indeed!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ggio77 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:07 am Hi Karrikuh,
I have tried some of your plugins and I must say that I really like them, especially the chorus which I am in love with. The problem I encounter is that in FL Studio 21 the controls are not accessible. I attach a screenshot of what the chorus looks like in FL. Congratulations indeed!
That is FL's bug - shame they did not fix it for version 21. GUI-less VST3 plugins don't show host controls in FL. You must go into the parameter list in browser to change parameters.

Thank you for the explanation

It's great to see that the maker of Charlatan has released a new FX suite! Will Charlatan have a successor synth btw?
Edit: I don't feel like this suite is complete without a frequency shifter/ring modulator and formant filter.

Update
0.8.0 Beta (2023-01-29)
  • NEW bkComp: a simple yet effective downward/upward compressor
  • bkChorus: fix LFO phase when switching from Chorus+ to Chorus mode
Download
bkFX 0.8.0 Beta Windows CLAP
bkFX 0.8.0 Beta Windows VST3
bkFX 0.8.0 Beta Linux CLAP
bkFX 0.8.0 Beta Linux VST3

Korg Supporter wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:59 pm It's great to see that the maker of Charlatan has released a new FX suite! Will Charlatan have a successor synth btw?
Yes, I plan to post some video footage soon.
Korg Supporter wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:59 pm Edit: I don't feel like this suite is complete without a frequency shifter/ring modulator and formant filter.
bkErosion has a ring mod mode. Only with sine modulator though. Frequency shifting seems interesting, I will look into at at some point.

I'd love to try this, but I think this needs AVX?

Any chance for a SSE2 build?

diroxe7660 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:43 am I'd love to try this, but I think this needs AVX?

Any chance for a SSE2 build?
The builds target SSE4.2, but I suspect some may work on CPUs that support only SSE3.

Ah, bummer. Went through all the plugins (CLAP / Reaper x64 Windows), but no dice.

Your FXs just get better and better. Love the new effects! :love: Excellent addition to the existing ones. This is a really nice update, karrikuh. Thank you sooo much!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Agreed! And thank you for supporting Linux--from all of us Linux users!!! :)

karrikuh wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:37 am
Korg Supporter wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:59 pm It's great to see that the maker of Charlatan has released a new FX suite! Will Charlatan have a successor synth btw?
Yes, I plan to post some video footage soon.
A successor to Charlatan?!!? Oh my, Charlie is my go-to synth and a lovely audio companion for decades... It's just pure joy to design sounds on this little synth and the end result is always interesting.

So... since I know you people (freeware developers) don't get this much and everyone takes your effort for granted. I would like to express my gratitude to you for offering the synth for free to all of us music lovers out there. :hail:

I just hope its successor follows and maybe expands on its simplicity rather than turn into some kind of semi-modular VA monster with hundreds of parameters. This is just me though. It's your baby you can do whatever you want with it.

PS: I am trying out your FX suite in Cantabile which is my scratch pad and some parameters are locked (seems like the ones that are steps or toggles mostly). The same behavior happens in VSTHost also. Is this the same bug that was discussed earlier for FL Studio and it’s a host problem rather that a plug-in issue?

Return to “Effects”