EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! We just ended up having to replace our church audio computer with one without a PCI slot, and after supporting a 1616 PCI for years (having soldered new capacitors and all), I finally decided to retire it and therefore I inherited it. Moving it to a new system proved to be a challenge as others described here, with the insufficient hardware message.

I ended up following your instructions to the letter (initially). However as of 10/15/2019 the link to the X-Fi drivers is broken. I had to download from another source.

Also, PatchMix identifies my internal PCI card as a 1010. The device manager did not have a "friendly name" for my device, so I didn't know if modifying the script for the full name would even be successful. It was called "E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM)" , and even the external export from PowerShell didn't list a friendly name. Instead, I disabled the device from the device manager, re-ran the script, and the only errors it generated this time were complaints about the device not being found. After re-enabling the device PatchMix loads! I will be fully testing this now, but I just wanted to say a huge thanks and I registered here just to show my appreciation for your hard work supporting this supposedly antiquated hardware.
ClubHouseKey wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:06 am Driver fix for EMU 1820 and probably all other EMU cards on Windows 10 1903.

Here are some instructions:

1. Uninstall any existing EMU drivers and PatchMix versions.
2. Install 2.30 beta drivers (EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe) and reboot.
4. Download XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018.exe, then extract it with 7-Zip to a temp folder like C:\temp. Example file structure should look like this: c:\temp\XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018\setup.exe
5. Unzip the attached ScriptFiles.zip to c:\temp. You should now have FilesToReplace.csv, EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1, and the XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018 folder together in c:\temp.
6. Open an Elevated powershell window and change directory to c:\temp.
7. Run .\EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1 from the Elevated powershell window. The script does 3 things: 1) Disables the EMU card in device manager so we can overwrite some of the driver files. 2) Reads the csv, loops through each entry, and overwrites the necessary files. 3) Re-enables the EMU card in device manager.
8. Install PatchMix 2.20 (EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe) and reboot.
9. Your card should be fully functional now.

Links:

EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe - E-MU beta drivers for Windows Vista x64 compatibility. These can support most models.
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... adId=12479 (https://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=12479)

EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe - E-MU PatchMix software meant for the 1616M PCIe model
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... adId=11912 (https://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=11912)

XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018.exe - Updated Creative X-Fi drivers for Windows 10 1903
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... dId=100256 (https://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=100256)

I encourage you to check out the script and csv before running it. If there is any concern about running a script, you can manually replace the files as listed in the csv, however it is 111 files.

My initial discovery of this method happened by a happy accident as I was examining Creative's X-Fi drivers which they fixed for 1903. I noticed many similarities to the EMU drivers, including many leftover references to the EMU products. I force installed the Creative drivers to be used with a virtual device (a Voicemeeter/VBAN virtual soundcard) and after a reboot magically my EMU started working. I came up with the method above after painstakingly examining what exact combination of these files it took to get success as I wanted something repeatable and shareable. I believe in 1903 MS has fixed a flaw, enforced a best practice, or enhanced the audio stack in a way that broke what EMU/Creative had done in the past.

Good luck!

I just saw your post after I posted my first one. For me what eventually worked was disabling the device in the device manager, then re-running the script. That is why you're getting the lines in red, because of the device name mismatch in the script. As my device did not have a friendly version listed anywhere, and I didn't know about modifying the script for anything other than a friendly name, I just disabled it before running the script, only got a device not found error at the beginning and end when the script tries to disable and re-enable, and in the end it was successful.
l_maseroni wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:35 pm I was reinstalling everything again to see if the problem was solved but I noticed that when executing the script some lines appear in red, they say that the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. I can upload some screenshots. I hope someone can help me, will I be the only one who had this problem with the script?

badtheba wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:58 am I just saw your post after I posted my first one. For me what eventually worked was disabling the device in the device manager, then re-running the script. That is why you're getting the lines in red, because of the device name mismatch in the script. As my device did not have a friendly version listed anywhere, and I didn't know about modifying the script for anything other than a friendly name, I just disabled it before running the script, only got a device not found error at the beginning and end when the script tries to disable and re-enable, and in the end it was successful.
l_maseroni wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:35 pm I was reinstalling everything again to see if the problem was solved but I noticed that when executing the script some lines appear in red, they say that the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. I can upload some screenshots. I hope someone can help me, will I be the only one who had this problem with the script?
Thank you very much, I will try this you suggest. At the moment it is working, run the script after installing the patchmix and there I recognized the microdock. I hope it lasts

badtheba wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:58 am I just saw your post after I posted my first one. For me what eventually worked was disabling the device in the device manager, then re-running the script. That is why you're getting the lines in red, because of the device name mismatch in the script. As my device did not have a friendly version listed anywhere, and I didn't know about modifying the script for anything other than a friendly name, I just disabled it before running the script, only got a device not found error at the beginning and end when the script tries to disable and re-enable, and in the end it was successful.
[/quote]

Hi, it has not worked for me. Beyond that, the microdock was no longer recognized by the patchmix since it had windows 7. Maybe there is a problem with the pci. I throw this error in the power shell:

Enable-PnpDevice : Error genérico
En C:\Temp\ScriptFiles\EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1: 8 Carácter: 66
+ ... SP Audio Processor (WDM)" | Enable-PnpDevice -Confirm:$false -Verbose
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (Win32_PnPEntity..._40041102&R...):ROOT\cimv2\Win32_PnPEntity) [En
able-PnpDevice], CimException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : HRESULT 0x80041001,Enable-PnpDevice

Don't you guys ever had to deal with the infamous choppy recording bug with your E-MU card on recent 64bit Windows and more than 3.5GB of RAM ?

If you don't know what bug I am talking about (and you are lucky then), E-MU drivers have this weird bug on some computers when you have over 3.5GB of RAM, playback is still ok but recording gets choppy, and when you zoom in on the recorded waveform you see that it is full of these little holes :
emu_recording_full_of_holes.png
I see that this bug was talked about here several years ago : viewtopic.php?t=371322 , as well as on some other websites, but nobody seem to have ever found a solution.

And unfortunatly I happen to have this infamous bug myself since over a year now, it started right after I upgraded from 3GB of RAM and XP 32bit to 5GB of RAM and Win7 64bit.

I have tried many driver+patchmix versions combinations, setting the same samplerate in Windows and Patchmix, but nothing does.

I noticed that everytime, right after I uninstall and reinstall the driver, it works for some minutes, then the bug appears and never goes away, until I uninstall and reinstall it again.

I searched throught the pages. Maybe this on page 12 was related :
Skupje wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:14 pm 3. Do IRQ assignments on the motherboard cause most of the problems (BSODs, pops & crackles) that people are experiencing? Would moving their card to another slot help?
4. Does Windows 7's automatic driver install process seem to interrupt the proper driver installation and then cause issues? Is there a way to turn this off so that we know for sure something strange isn't happening when we are installing drivers?
5. Does Windows 7's sound configuration settings (Sound -> Properties -> Advanced -> Set your sample rate) & system sound cause issues?

Same here the recording buffer is running out "gapping". Maybe the newer DS drivers have different buffer sizes? I do get it to work using ASIO.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Not me. I have been using my old EMU 1820 on a machine with 16GB of RAM under W7-64 (many versions). Today it is working with W10 1809 on a different machine that had 16GB, then upgraded to 48GB. No problems at all in any of the 3 configurations.

Diego_R wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:11 am Don't you guys ever had to deal with the infamous choppy recording bug with your E-MU card on recent 64bit Windows and more than 3.5GB of RAM ?

If you don't know what bug I am talking about (and you are lucky then), E-MU drivers have this weird bug on some computers when you have over 3.5GB of RAM, playback is still ok but recording gets choppy, and when you zoom in on the recorded waveform you see that it is full of these little holes :
I guess it's across the board.. This worked for me duplex recording from ADAT with ASIO, having the same issue. If it fails i'm out of options, For internal recordings maybe try using an USB device with VoiceMeeter?

I am using Windows 10 1809 x64 with 16Gb of RAM and I do not have these problems. EMU1616M PCIe sound card. :)

skinwalker wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:02 am
Mutant wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:11 pm
skinwalker wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:32 pm Recently built a new Win10 computer, still running my old EMU PCI card.

Somewhat small problem: in my previous build I could control volume with dedicated volume keys on my Logitech keyboard. The monitor volume controller would simply move whenever I pressed the keys. The mute button even activated the patchmix mute button.

Now for whatever reason the same Logitech keyboard controls the windows mixer sliders instead.

I often run regular windows audio (just watching videos etc) either through a dsp compressor and eq's on patchmix or even loop it through a vst effects rack. Lowering the volume on the windows mixer (input to patchmix) rather than the actual final output messes up the gain stucture of the effect chain I have set up.

Any ideas? On my previous Win10 build it still worked.
Just a wild shot in the dark idea.
Maybe it was caused by the order the drivers for your keyboard and for the audio card were installed by the system ?
Like at the time the keyboard driver was installed, there was no audio driver for the E-MU installed yet, so it decided to use windows mixer instead.
ClubHouseKey wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:39 am I just had this issue. I was testing PatchMix version EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.

To fix, I uninstalled PatchMix, rebooted, then installed EmuPMX_PCApp_L6_2_10_00 and rebooted. Afer that the volume keys worked fine.

EDIT: I also got volume keys to work with EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00 (controls the Monitor knob and Mute in PatchMix) by uninstalling EmuPMX_PCApp_L6_2_10_00, rebooting, installing EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00, rebooting. In short, I think it has to do with making sure to reboot each time.
Thank you both. I only now got to testing this and guess what; it worked. :tu:

Well, sort of. Now the keys affect BOTH the patchmix and the windows applications / mixer. Which kinda ruins the whole thing. Dammit. Used the 2_20_00 version.

edit: It seems I semi-accidentally found a way to fix this.

With Logitech SetPoint software I unticked box 'My computer volume changes' from the tools menu status indicator page. It doesn't make any sense, but now, like magic, individual applications like WinAmp don't react to the volume changes from my Logitech keyboard anymore and my precious gain structure remains intact.
So... after re-installing Windows I now have the same problem again.

I've tried uninstalling and installing patchmix and keyboard drivers / software for hours in different order but nothing seems to work. The patchmix doesn't react to the hotkeys in any way.

Same hardware. Same version of Windows 10.

If anyone has any idea what to do, please :help:

Diego_R wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:11 am Don't you guys ever had to deal with the infamous choppy recording bug with your E-MU card on recent 64bit Windows and more than 3.5GB of RAM ?

emu_recording_full_of_holes.png

I see that this bug was talked about here several years ago : viewtopic.php?t=371322 , as well as on some other websites, but nobody seem to have ever found a solution.

And unfortunatly I happen to have this infamous bug myself since over a year now, it started right after I upgraded from 3GB of RAM and XP 32bit to 5GB of RAM and Win7 64bit.

I have tried many driver+patchmix versions combinations, setting the same samplerate in Windows and Patchmix, but nothing does.

I noticed that everytime, right after I uninstall and reinstall the driver, it works for some minutes, then the bug appears and never goes away, until I uninstall and reinstall it again.

I searched throught the pages. Maybe this on page 12 was related :
Skupje wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:14 pm 3. Do IRQ assignments on the motherboard cause most of the problems (BSODs, pops & crackles) that people are experiencing? Would moving their card to another slot help?
4. Does Windows 7's automatic driver install process seem to interrupt the proper driver installation and then cause issues? Is there a way to turn this off so that we know for sure something strange isn't happening when we are installing drivers?
5. Does Windows 7's sound configuration settings (Sound -> Properties -> Advanced -> Set your sample rate) & system sound cause issues?

Same here the recording buffer is running out "gapping". Maybe the newer DS drivers have different buffer sizes? I do get it to work using ASIO.
I thought I had this solved by using the digital outputs, but the problem came back and I never really could duplicate the fix. But this led me to believe there is a magic combination of various settings, perhaps combined with some sort of blood sacrifice during the winter solstice, that either removes the stuttering or at least renders it somewhat inaudible.

This might be of interest to someone though:

Using a software/plugin called vst2wdm (virtual windows recording device and a vst plugin that outputs stuff to said device) I got the same choppy audio using FL Studio to host the plugin.

BUT changing the FL Studio vst wrapper to 'use fixed buffer sizes' fixed the issue. Are these two things somehow related? I don't know. Maybe?

For me this was an adequate solution to the problem. Just looping the audio through a ASIO vst host.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
ClubHouseKey wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:06 am Driver fix for EMU 1820 and probably all other EMU cards on Windows 10 1903.

Here are some instructions:

1. Uninstall any existing EMU drivers and PatchMix versions.
2. Install 2.30 beta drivers (EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe) and reboot.
4. Download XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018.exe, then extract it with 7-Zip to a temp folder like C:\temp. Example file structure should look like this: c:\temp\XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018\setup.exe
5. Unzip the attached ScriptFiles.zip to c:\temp. You should now have FilesToReplace.csv, EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1, and the XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018 folder together in c:\temp.
6. Open an Elevated powershell window and change directory to c:\temp.
7. Run .\EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1 from the Elevated powershell window. The script does 3 things: 1) Disables the EMU card in device manager so we can overwrite some of the driver files. 2) Reads the csv, loops through each entry, and overwrites the necessary files. 3) Re-enables the EMU card in device manager.
8. Install PatchMix 2.20 (EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe) and reboot.
9. Your card should be fully functional now.

Links:

EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe - E-MU beta drivers for Windows Vista x64 compatibility. These can support most models.
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... adId=12479 (https://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=12479)

EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe - E-MU PatchMix software meant for the 1616M PCIe model
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... adId=11912 (https://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=11912)

XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0018.exe - Updated Creative X-Fi drivers for Windows 10 1903
https://support.creative.com/downloads/ ... dId=100256 (https://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=100256)

I encourage you to check out the script and csv before running it. If there is any concern about running a script, you can manually replace the files as listed in the csv, however it is 111 files.

My initial discovery of this method happened by a happy accident as I was examining Creative's X-Fi drivers which they fixed for 1903. I noticed many similarities to the EMU drivers, including many leftover references to the EMU products. I force installed the Creative drivers to be used with a virtual device (a Voicemeeter/VBAN virtual soundcard) and after a reboot magically my EMU started working. I came up with the method above after painstakingly examining what exact combination of these files it took to get success as I wanted something repeatable and shareable. I believe in 1903 MS has fixed a flaw, enforced a best practice, or enhanced the audio stack in a way that broke what EMU/Creative had done in the past.

Good luck!
Like SO MANY others, I've been lurking/reading this thread, but I just had to register to express my THANKS for your hard work. I had my E-MU 1820 setup working fine with Windows 10 1809, but Windows wouldn't offer the 1903 Feature Update -- said it was available, but my computer wasn't ready. I finally pulled the PCI card which allowed the 1903 update. I then ran into all the issues noted in this thread trying to get the reinstalled card working again.

I had tried your steps a few times without success, but I think that was due to Windows wanting to automatically reinstall the E-MU drivers. I uninstalled the drivers and the PatchMix s/w, but the E-MU installation app asked me to then reboot. I tried to just reinstall the BETA driver w/o rebooting, but it said it couldn't -- I had to reboot first. And every time I rebooted, Windows undid my work by reinstalling the drivers from "somewhere", even though I told it not to and even though I thought I had deleted the old drivers. I finally found a Group Policy setting which said do not automatically install driver software for a specific driver ID (which you can find on the E-MU E-DSP properties page in Device Manager). Once I was able to boot Windows with no E-MU device installed, everything went smoothly with no further issues. (Minor edit to the PowerScript file to adjust the Friendly Name, but that was all.)

Let's all hope Microsoft is finished messing with whatever they did to break the E-MU code between 1809 and 1903.

Again -- MANY THANKS!

randy

About my choppy WaveOut recording issue. I wanted to try the fix you guys use for your Win10 update problem, just in case, but I could not have these scripts working, probably because I use Win7 I guess. Anyway, instead I just updated the driver from the devices manager, pointing it to the extracted XFTI driver and forcing it to install, like someone said.

Now, WaveOut recording works again but only for some random minutes after every reboot. Then it gets choppy again, for no apparent reason why... Rarely, it will work again for a few seconds, or record nothing at all.

I tried to find if there is a software I launch or anything I do that triggers the bug.

Long story short : After every reboot it works. It seems that as long as memory usage stays low, recording still works. Then when memory usage gets above 40%, the bug is triggered and recordings get choppy or silent. Even after closing softwares to get memory usage back to very low, the bug still happens, it just sometimes randomly works again for a few seconds. It is not conclusive, maybe it is just random, but it really seems to be related to memory usage anyway. I suspect the driver can only use RAM addresses between 0 and 3GB, so when Windows start spreading stuff in RAM over 3GB, the bug happens. Just a guess though, I am no expert on how Windows manages stuff in RAM.

Also, the infamous WaveOut crackling playback issue comes a lot more often... You know, that bug that happens every few months, when WaveOut playback gets all crackling, distorted, and the solution to fix it is to either reboot or go in patchmix and change internal frequency. Here, with this driver, it happens at least every 3min...
Last edited by Diego_R on Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hello,

I've got my trusty E-MU 1616m PCI since the dawn of time, which seems to work on every Windows version I throw at it, so far ... I have updated Windows 10 to version 1903 (18362.418) and Patchmix DSP now says that I don't appear to have sufficient E-MU hardware to load on the sessions in my system.

I usually get away with turning my 1616m PCI on and off a few times, but that trick won't work now. Any ideas, or alternatives to Patchmix DSP?

Thanks in advance.

pentarou wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:33 pm Any ideas
This has been the main topic of the last 10 pages, before I hijacked it. Some awesome guy found this trick : viewtopic.php?p=7415426#p7415426
pentarou wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:33 pmor alternatives to Patchmix DSP?
Actually there is a little known alternative : KX Audio Driver, but when I tried it several years ago I found it strange.

Diego_R wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:13 am
pentarou wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:33 pm Any ideas
This has been the main topic of the last 10 pages, before I hijacked it. Some awesome guy found this trick : viewtopic.php?p=7415426#p7415426
Thank you for bringing that up, my ASIO channels are now working again, in fact, the Patchmix DSP doesn't even complain about my 1616m being turned off, and it's just initializing, so that's a side effect, I think.

It might be a nice idea to include these files directly in the installation itself, the driver setup is extractable. I'll try to work on that solution.
Actually there is a little known alternative : KX Audio Driver, but when I tried it several years ago I found it strange.
Ah, KX Audio Driver, I used it a long time ago when I was into Hackintosh, but I doubt it can route all inputs and outputs properly.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”