ElectraX: why aren't more people raving about it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ElectraX

I've gotten pretty tired of new virtual analog synths. Don't get me wrong, I love 'em, but ... Monark? I can't say Monark is a compelling reason to upgrade to Komplete 9 from 8. DIVA and LuSH handle most of my VA needs, and I can't say I'm excited about adding more VA options.

Then there are synths like ElectraX by Tone2 that truly kick a$$ in my opinion. Wide range of synthesis options, and ElectraX sounds amazing. Sure it does some VA stuff, but it produces some really interesting and newer sounds.

Where's the love for the newer sounding synths like ElectraX?

billcarroll wrote:I've gotten pretty tired of new virtual analog synths. Don't get me wrong, I love 'em, but ... Monark? I can't say Monark is a compelling reason to upgrade to Komplete 9 from 8. DIVA and LuSH handle most of my VA needs, and I can't say I'm excited about adding more VA options.

Then there are synths like ElectraX by Tone2 that truly kick a$$ in my opinion. Wide range of synthesis options, and ElectraX sounds amazing. Sure it does some VA stuff, but it produces some really interesting and newer sounds.

I've looked at Electrax earlier, it is and interesting offering. If you want it just get. I didn't get it yet but don't let that worry you. I too think my folder containing Diva and ACE ultra analog, is pretty well filled out. I recently went for Diversion. It's definately not a Virtual Analog. Zebra is next on my list... When it strikes me but not for some several months...

If your Jazzed about ElectraX get it! I'm sure you won't regret it.
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

Because it looks hideous.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I think because we know how all tone2 topics end up around here.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:I think because we know how all tone2 topics end up around here.
rsp
I don't. What happens?

Yeah, it seems to be an invitation to cat wars.

The gui CAN be kind of nuclear, but having the different looking visuals helps to keep track of which synth you're on when editing. I believe you can edit your preferences to choose which of four skin options is used all the time... if that maybe helps.

You can do some powerful stuff when layering all four synths and it's very very friendly on the cpu as well, so it's a winner in my book.

Besides the mp3 demos at Tone2 you can also check out Simon's demos for his ElektraX bank at Patchpool. Those will really give you an idea of what ElektraX can do when pushed to its limits!!! Some demos at MaxSynth as well.

And of course, you should download the demo of the synth and see for yourself if it works for you. Who cares what everyone else thinks, what's important it what YOU think. :)
Last edited by Sequent on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I love ElectraX but always end up using Gladiator because I prefer it's sound. I just don't like the filter config on G. :shrug:

'Tis a valid point, and has come up before.

To NI's credit, Razor was quite unique. True of many of the Reaktor instruments, so can't entirely fault them for entering the "old-school" fray.

But uniqueness comes with a price. Razor is very easy to use and its interface is easy to understand, but it's extremely difficult to design with a sound in mind, or even know where to direct your attention to get a desired result. Not a fault of the instrument, but it's just easier to get from point A to point B with a simple subtractive, then embellish the sounds with mod routing.

@JoeCat, I assume you posted in the wrong thread.

@billcarroll, its as sequent says, they mostly end up in cat wars... hopefully this one doesn't.

I actually own all of their stuff, but truthfully I don't' think I use any of them much. Years ago, I did use Gladiator2 a lot...I may be the only one but the sound of ElectraX reminds me of another kvr favourite :-)... Nexus...cheaper but just with the same amount of banks and clearly not a rompler....I prefer the GUI of Nexus so for that genre, I end up using that more than ElectraX....and I think I have way too much software synths, and my favourite ones tend to end up being used way more often and I often forget to try ElectraX

rsp
sound sculptist

i find myself using it a lot more lately. great for layered fx, soundscapes, complex arps...but such that a little goes a long way. it's my favorite tone2 plugin.

I bought ElectraX, so definitely past the demo stage now :)

I certainly don't want to see this thread turn into CAT WARS ... I'm just wondering why more developers aren't pushing synths in newish directions right now.

I think NI's Razor is really a great synth. Monark doesn't grab my interest as much as a synth like Razor or ElectraX.

zvenx wrote:...@JoeCat, I assume you posted in the wrong thread.
to clarify:

OP: I've gotten pretty tired of new virtual analog synths....

me: 'Tis a valid point, and has come up before.

OP: Don't get me wrong, I love 'em, but ... Monark? I can't say Monark is a compelling reason to upgrade to Komplete 9 from 8. DIVA and LuSH handle most of my VA needs, and I can't say I'm excited about adding more VA options.

me: To NI's credit, Razor was quite unique. True of many of the Reaktor instruments, so can't entirely fault them for entering the "old-school" fray.

OP: Then there are synths like ElectraX by Tone2 that truly kick a$$ in my opinion. Wide range of synthesis options, and ElectraX sounds amazing. Sure it does some VA stuff, but it produces some really interesting and newer sounds.

me: [But] uniqueness comes with a price. Razor is very easy to use and its interface is easy to understand, but it's extremely difficult to design with a sound in mind, or even know where to direct your attention to get a desired result. Not a fault of the instrument, but it's just easier to get from point A to point B with a simple subtractive, then embellish the sounds with mod routing.

I meant to imply that NI doing another VA didn't mean they were ignoring the "new", as they've been somewhat absent from this market. And that, like ElectraX, Razor doesn't get the attention that VA's do, possibly due to the inherent complexity of new sound design paradigms.

Maybe my communication skills are going south as I spend more time learning C++ 11 :hihi:

Sorry for the derail. Bring on the cats!

lol. got ya....rsp
sound sculptist

ElectraX is awesome and is one candidate for the synth i would keep if would have to sell all others i got (or just decide to use only one).

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

billcarroll wrote:

Synthmaster kicked its butt...

Return to “Instruments”