Access Virus Ti Aliasing issues

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just curious if the rumor about the virus having aliasing is true. I am still very keen on buying a virus I am just kind of in the air with seeing posts about virus aliasing on a few big virus forums like infekted and stuff.

Is it even that big of an issue? Seems like most of the complaints were about the Virus Ti not the Ti2.
:borg:

Yes, the Virus aliases. That's why nobody uses it and why you've never, ever heard it in any songs.

:P
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I like the flat open surface it has upper right...polyslax puts his qwerty there, but it looks about right for a module. 8)

I would heartily laugh if Viruses do alias. It was such a huge no-no not that long ago. Yet Viruses obviously sound very good for those that like that type of sound, and plenty of classic synths aliased like bastards. OSCars - possibly the best commercial analogue/digital hybrid ever released. Obviously those sweet analogue filters and powerful sounds were made completely unusable because of aliasing. Ultravox never made it because they insisted on using an aliasing synth, those naughty boys. All those old samplers were just rubbish because of aliasing, so 95% of every song released in the 90s were obviously crap and uncommercial.

I do wish people would get over aliasing. So if you find out Viruses do alias - you're not going to buy one? Even though it obviously fits your sonic bill. Even though it's considered (through actual use) to be one of the most favoured and useful tarnce h/w synths? It's plastered all over records/CDs/downloads for the past, what, decade? Yet you won't buy it because it aliases? :nutter:

Seriously - aliasing is not an issue. Never has been. It was a made up webmyth talking point. There are plenty of fantastical sounding synths that alias badly. What colour the flashing LEDs are is more important to me than aliasing. It impacts on actual use more than some almost unhearable aliasing. Sometimes, noise can actually be a really good thing for anything that makes sound. If you ever have the chance of playing on a real OSCar I urge you to do it - those things really do alias badly, but man you will rarely hear such beautiful sounds coming from a synth. That synth will blow you away. It will put to rest any issue with aliasing, because it's just not an issue.

kritikon wrote:I would heartily laugh if Viruses do alias. It was such a huge no-no not that long ago. Yet Viruses obviously sound very good for those that like that type of sound, and plenty of classic synths aliased like bastards. OSCars - possibly the best commercial analogue/digital hybrid ever released. Obviously those sweet analogue filters and powerful sounds were made completely unusable because of aliasing. Ultravox never made it because they insisted on using an aliasing synth, those naughty boys. All those old samplers were just rubbish because of aliasing, so 95% of every song released in the 90s were obviously crap and uncommercial.

I do wish people would get over aliasing. So if you find out Viruses do alias - you're not going to buy one? Even though it obviously fits your sonic bill. Even though it's considered (through actual use) to be one of the most favoured and useful tarnce h/w synths? It's plastered all over records/CDs/downloads for the past, what, decade? Yet you won't buy it because it aliases? :nutter:

Seriously - aliasing is not an issue. Never has been. It was a made up webmyth talking point. There are plenty of fantastical sounding synths that alias badly. What colour the flashing LEDs are is more important to me than aliasing. It impacts on actual use more than some almost unhearable aliasing. Sometimes, noise can actually be a really good thing for anything that makes sound. If you ever have the chance of playing on a real OSCar I urge you to do it - those things really do alias badly, but man you will rarely hear such beautiful sounds coming from a synth. That synth will blow you away. It will put to rest any issue with aliasing, because it's just not an issue.
+1

I have one for sale in the Marketplace as well... 8)

I'm holding onto my TI1, the only grief I have with the TI2 is that it doesn't fit in 4 rack spaces!!!

BTW, Access support rocks! My TI1 was continuously booting, so I took it in for repair. The synth is definitely out of its warranty period, and Access replaced the mainboard for free (I just paid the tech ~$80)... Now get this, when I opened it up, to rotate the back panel, I see its a TI2 board!! Man I was floored, basically a TI2 inside a TI1 chassis (dreams DO come true)... :shock:

As stated by the devs in the access forums, the classics osc's do alias. They kept it like that in the TI so that it would maintain the original virus sound. The saws, squares, triangles etc. that are contained in the wavetable osc's do not alias. So if you want that, they're there.

Bottom line is, the virus sounds fantastic.

Of course it can alias. Any digital synth can be pushed to aliasing with enough weird (especially audio rate) modulations if it doesn't have the DSP to "fight" it.

kritikon wrote:I would heartily laugh if Viruses do alias. It was such a huge no-no not that long ago. Yet Viruses obviously sound very good for those that like that type of sound, and plenty of classic synths aliased like bastards. OSCars - possibly the best commercial analogue/digital hybrid ever released. Obviously those sweet analogue filters and powerful sounds were made completely unusable because of aliasing. Ultravox never made it because they insisted on using an aliasing synth, those naughty boys. All those old samplers were just rubbish because of aliasing, so 95% of every song released in the 90s were obviously crap and uncommercial.

Someone finally said it.
Ableton/Propellerheads/Cockos Reaper/Logic/Renoise/U-He/Tone2/NI/DiscoDSP/Fabfilter/Xils Lab/Reveal Sound/112dB

I have an alias...does that help?

Some good points have been made. I'll have a good think about this. cheerz
:borg:

kritikon wrote:Seriously - aliasing is not an issue.
I don't know. I don't like it when I can hear it. And I can hear it on certain synths, eg. Roland's VSynth's VA section and Reason's Subtractor, so much it can get in the way. It's often tolerable when there's only the one synth doing it in a track but get a whole load of Subtractors playing high bright notes and the track sounds like a low bit rate MP3.

Compare the FM sound from Reason's Thor to FM8 and the NI plugin wins hand down in clarity and musicality. Thor's FM module is almost unusable at high frequencies and it's solely down to aliasing. Pitch bending a note down and hearing certain aspects of the sound rising in pitch is not what I want to hear.

Sometimes aliasing is interesting. The factory preset 'glass voices' on the D-50 has a sheen imparted on it because of the aliasing in the effects section. And if the aliasing is harmonically locked to the fundamental it's not bad either. I think that would probably be the OSCar and early Emulators.

A small amount of aliasing isn't a bad thing but it can get horrible very quickly.

The Virus doesn't strike me as being that bad on aliasing though.

Tony

I think aliasing is a huge issue. Everyone knows the next big thing after dub step will be Bat Step.
Hardware: Akai MPK61, MFB-Synth II, Roland JX-8P, Virus TI Snow, KORG MS2000R, Roland SH-01
Favorite software: Sylenth1, Synth1, Messiah, ME80, OPX-Pro II, Zebra 2, Diva, Reason, Studio One V2 Pro

cryophonik wrote:Yes, the Virus aliases. That's why nobody uses it and why you've never, ever heard it in any songs.

:P
:hihi:

JimmiG wrote:I think aliasing is a huge issue. Everyone knows the next big thing after dub step will be Bat Step.
Haaaahahaaahahahaa you just made my day..

Batstep?

or...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”