Ghost Channel/Notes in Ableton Live?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey,

I'm trying to learn about scales and chords and I came across a video on YouTube where this guy is explaining it using FL Studio's 'Ghost Channel' feature. For those who don't know, it's basically where you can see notes from another channel in the piano roll and they're grayed out. Most of you know probably know what I'm talking about. 8)

Anyway...

Does Live have a feature like this? And if not built in, is there a M4L device for it maybe? Or something? I would love to use the piano roll that way! :)

I searched this on Google but it seems all threads about it are old so I thought maybe this was added at some point.

Thanks in advance!

No. Not a feature in Live. 8)

would be nice to have

elxsound wrote:No. Not a feature in Live. 8)
Damn. :(
sl1914 wrote:would be nice to have
Indeed.

Does anyone know of any skins/mods that would allow essentially the same as a ghost channel function? I'd be pretty disappointed if this isn't a function that comes out in Ableton 10, or earlier updates.

In Cubase you can do this in Edit mode just by highlighting two MIDI tracks and opening any MIDI editor - but mainly the piano roll editor. I do it all the time.

I do not know Live, but could it be possible that it is implemented in the plain old Edit mode, rather than a special function?

It's not in there and it takes a lot more than a skin mod.

Reaper has it too. Select multiple tracks and then double click the one you want to edit.

You can have "ghost clips" in Ableton Live.

Select the clips; Right Click, and select "deactivate clips"

Load fruity as a plugin in Live.
Also the free TemperVST has ghost channels, besides pretty unique and quirky midi editing functions
Amazon: why not use an alternative

You can use ghosts notes like in Fl with :
1) select all yours notes (ctrl+A)
2)Right click
3) select "Desactivate notes"
After that you'll have grey notes witch are desactivated. You now can use it like in Fl ! :party:

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Resurrecting this old thread because it's still a top result on Google. I was playing around with MIDI Effect Racks for drums, and realized you could use something like the GM Drum Rack for scales, so I made a script to generate a bunch, and I wanted to make them available for everyone. Check it out:

https://michaelphines.github.io/scale-f ... ct-device/ (https://michaelphines.github.io/scale-filter-midi-effect-device/)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”