Sonivox Pulse for $29. what is your opinion about it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pulse - Advanced Production Instrument

Hi,

JRRShop has Sonivox Pulse on offer for $29 for the download version. What is your opinion about it? Would it complement NI Battery in any way?

Thanks,

We discussed this a bit in the Market place: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=382764
Numanoid wrote:
gamecat666 wrote:hmm, now im intrigued!
I have maschine so the pulse -app- is pointless but i'd probably be willing to pick it up if I can use the library like an expansion pack. Whats the quality of the sounds like, and are the samples in a conveniently accessible format?
Pulse Patches come in a special Sonivox format, called SVX.

Here is the categories and number of patches included:

Percussion and drums:
Drum sets = 123
Single drum groups = 38
Acoustic drums = 6

Instruments:
Bass & Guitar = 18
Keyboards = 25
Strings = 8
Synth basses = 78
Synth leads = 96
Synth pads = 16
Synth strange = 8

The samples content folder which is about 5,5GB in size contains 113 sub-folders, each of these contains one-shot and multisamples in wav. These are then the building blocks for the patches.

Quality of the sounds are OK, nothing that will blow you away, but it doesn't suck either. At the price, it's an OK bread and butter collection, that fills my GAS hole :D

A good thing here is that the samples are in wav, meaning that the content can easily be used outside of Pulse, in any sampler.

Thanks, will read through that thread.

My only real problem with it is that recording grooves inside the app (stand alone or vst) is so clunky as to be unuseable.

Otherwise, Pulse is not terrible. Sounds are ok, but the actual interface is not the best.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Decided against it, 'cause I already have too much toys to play with and no time... ;) Was looking for something for my AKAI MPD24 but will stay with NI Battery...

hmm, I am still on the fence about claiming my free $50 voucher for their DVI's. Just seems like the stuff is older and maybe not really that good.
Jason Schoepfer
Rocky Mountain Sounds
http://www.rockymountainsounds.com

i bought the mellotron DVI once when i was in need of a quick tron while recording a track. sounded ok, but the thing always messed with my computer. things would freeze and get glitchy. as soon as I would remove the Tron DVi, all would be back to normal. Customer service was crap and they wouldn't let me give it to a friend (the guy on the phone said there was no way to even use the plug on another computer).

could have been an issue with Apple or Logic, but honestly I couldn't get it off my computer fast enough.
macbook pro 2.88 GHz Intel Core Duo, 10 gigs ram, 750GB HD, Logic Studio 9
my blog and some music:
http://rabbitearsmotel.wordpress.com/

Geist, on the other hand, is unreal. You can use that with your Akai.

I use my Korg PadKontrol and it works perfectly.

Mike

I purchased Pulse a few months back and regret it....Pulse installs the Pace TPK drivers and proved to be unstable in some of my hosts ( won't load kits in saved songs). Needless to say it will not be installed on my new system. I'm struggling with my conscience if I should sell it on or not.....I'd feel guilty.... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Sonivox seems to make products that range from crappy to mediocre.

michael2 wrote:i bought the mellotron DVI once when i was in need of a quick tron while recording a track. sounded ok, but the thing always messed with my computer. things would freeze and get glitchy. as soon as I would remove the Tron DVi, all would be back to normal. Customer service was crap and they wouldn't let me give it to a friend (the guy on the phone said there was no way to even use the plug on another computer).

could have been an issue with Apple or Logic, but honestly I couldn't get it off my computer fast enough.
thanks, you just convinced me to move on. Sadly, they only allow the voucher towards DVI instruments- and last thing I need is to install some crapware on my live rig. You saved me!
Jason Schoepfer
Rocky Mountain Sounds
http://www.rockymountainsounds.com

Buy Drumatic4 instead :D
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Just downloaded it from their website. (Pulse)

Reaper on OSX takes some time to scan the .vst files, only lists the 16 output version (EDIT: AUi only, VSTi completely ignored), it's x86 only and generally incompatible, as in "loads but marked red as offline".

Started the standalone app to give it a shot. In the video it said "drag and drop directly from the file browser onto a pad", which is what I tried. No success. I dragged and dropped all sorts of WAVs, AIFs, MP3s, but nothing happened. Pads didn't load sounds, no samples got listed as loaded, nada. Activating the "preview" button above the browser made it play back all the samples ... but they just didn't want to be loaded. Why ever.

Can't be bothered with this, not even at $29.

Shame, looked so promising with layers, optional round-robin etc.
Last edited by chokehold on Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Buy Drumatic4 instead :D
+1

Also, as chokehold mentioned in that other thread I believe, Geist LE is just about enough and it's magware. ;) Problem might be to get e.g. a BEAT issue #79 and hope they still have some serials for it. You would think, amount of printed magazines = amount of serials, but apparently not. My mate just got an older issue and he couldn't get the serials for 2 items on the DVD. :?

Bought Pulse on a chance buy at $29.

Buggy in renoise, it makes the CPU meter shoot up sometimes when the GUI is open. Sample browser doesn't seem to remember last directory. Found the GUI clunkier than it should be as it looks that it will be quick and easy.

Uninstalled, thanked the gods I didn't pay more, and was reminded only ever to buy if a demo is available.

Return to “Instruments”