RapidComposer as VST for Studio One

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
KVRer
2 posts since 10 Mar, 2013 from United States

Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:19 pm

I have RC showing up in my Studio One 2 (S1) DAW but I get no sound when I enter phrases in RC and hit play in the transport section of S1. There are no options for instruments in RC, as there is when in standalone mode, when I right click the Track area. Instead there is a grayed out box "Instrument: MIDI Vst output". When in standalone mode, I can play all the RC-supplied general MIDI instruments and also Massive, which I added as a VST to RC. My only problem now is getting RC to function as a VST in S1. I would like to have it play instruments from Massive while I run Maschine beats in the background, all in the context and control of S1. Does it do this in other DAWS? Is there a fix for my S1 DAW?

Any fixes much appreciated......

KVRAF
4558 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:29 am

Hello,

You are really close.
In order to get sound you need to route the output MIDI channels of the RC plug-in to a virtual instrument track in Studio One. So make sure the Massive instrument track receives RC MIDI output(s). (I do not know Studio One enough so that I can be more specific.)

BTW you need to do this for any DAW, not just Studio One. RapidComposer does not produce audio when used as a VST plug-in except for the included soundfonts that are meant for preview purposes only.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

KVRer

Topic Starter

2 posts since 10 Mar, 2013 from United States

Post Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:16 pm

Thanks for the quick response, Attila. Yes, I think this was part of the problem. Here are the steps I followed to get it to work, probably the same as other DAWs and pretty obvious, but here it is:

1) After installation, move the RapidComposer (RC) .dll file from the downloaded RapidComposer folder to the folder in which you keep your other VST .dll files. Restart Studio One (S1) so it can scan for VSTs.
2) Open both RC and Massive VSTs in S1.
3) Set a preset from Massive as your default if you haven't already (in S1, icon that looks like a printed page in gray boxes on top of Massive VST pane).
4) In S1 Inspector mode, set output of RC to Massive. Input is All Inputs.
5) Set input of Massive to RC.
6) Set Solo and Monitor icons "on" (yellow, blue) for both Massive and RC. In this way, you can preview Massive presets on your keyboard or hit the play button to try out the RC pattern.
7) Use the S1 transport controls to get track started and stopped.

Minor problems I encountered:
-- RC doesn't play the first note of the loop (does so the first run through but not subsequent ones)
-- RC VST screen doesn't pop back to it's set position when reopened like other VSTs in S1 (I'm on a two monitor set up).

Thanks, Attila, for this program. I'm really looking forward to composing with it.

KVRAF

Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:29 am

Thank you for sharing how to get it work in Studio One. I am sure many people will find it useful.
I'll check the problems that you described.

Thanks,
Attila
Innovative music software for creative musicians - home of RapidComposer, Melodya and Syne

KVRer
1 posts since 6 May, 2014

Post Thu May 15, 2014 5:53 pm

Thank you … Encelia’s post from last year was VERY helpful in me getting RC to work in Studio One 2. Even though Encelia’s instructions didn’t work exactly for me, it got me close enough I was able to get the hang of what he was doing and got mine working very quickly. Maybe just due to me running version 2.6.2.25590 and my different requirements.

Here’s what I did to get RC to play a Presence Bass in Studio One 2 from RC.

1) Make sure the RapidComposer (RC) .dll file from the downloaded RapidComposer folder is in the folder you keep your other VST .dll files. Restart Studio One (S1) so it can scan for VSTs.

2) In S1, open both the Presence and RC as VSTs. One track for each by dragging each VST to the track area of S1.

3) On the track with the Presence VST, set a preset (i.e. Acoustic Bass) in Presence by clicking on Instrument Editor button. Then set the tack to get it’s input from RapidComposer using the Instrument Input button.

4) On the track with RapidComposer VST, click on the Instrument Editor button which will bring up a small panel. Click on the “Bring RapidComposer To Top” button which will bring up RC.

5) Inside RC, set up a track with Bass Generators and chords as needed.

6) In Studio One, set the RapidComposer tracks input to “None”. Set Monitor icons "on" (blue) for both tracks.

7) Use the S1 transport controls to get track started, looped or stopped.

Worked like a charm. Can’t thank you enough.

KVRAF

Post Fri May 16, 2014 1:31 am

Very nice! Thank you for the helpful post, Jcpstrat!

Attila

KVRAF
4524 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Post Fri May 16, 2014 10:58 am

Jcpstrat wrote:Thank you … Encelia’s post from last year was VERY helpful in me getting RC to work in Studio One 2. Even though Encelia’s instructions didn’t work exactly for me, it got me close enough I was able to get the hang of what he was doing and got mine working very quickly. Maybe just due to me running version 2.6.2.25590 and my different requirements.

Here’s what I did to get RC to play a Presence Bass in Studio One 2 from RC.

1) Make sure the RapidComposer (RC) .dll file from the downloaded RapidComposer folder is in the folder you keep your other VST .dll files. Restart Studio One (S1) so it can scan for VSTs.

2) In S1, open both the Presence and RC as VSTs. One track for each by dragging each VST to the track area of S1.

3) On the track with the Presence VST, set a preset (i.e. Acoustic Bass) in Presence by clicking on Instrument Editor button. Then set the tack to get it’s input from RapidComposer using the Instrument Input button.

4) On the track with RapidComposer VST, click on the Instrument Editor button which will bring up a small panel. Click on the “Bring RapidComposer To Top” button which will bring up RC.

5) Inside RC, set up a track with Bass Generators and chords as needed.

6) In Studio One, set the RapidComposer tracks input to “None”. Set Monitor icons "on" (blue) for both tracks.

7) Use the S1 transport controls to get track started, looped or stopped.

Worked like a charm. Can’t thank you enough.
Cool!

To prevent a loss in the time, I suggest you to create also an independent thread (not a problem if it stays without other posts later) with a clear title in order to help the visitors to find easily this tip!
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”