Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Ah ok, I didnt know that. I’ll wait for the final version 👍
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

jancivil wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:45 pm
maxym.srpl wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:01 am it has nothing to do with mechanical vs ssd hard disk. It's about risk of lost your plugins /presets in case of need of reinstalling operation system from scratch.
Ok. I have strategies for that, so that it doesn't happen. You have an unnecessary complication behind a kind of peculiar belief, but your call. I'd recommend backing up some kind of way, that's harsh.
I don't have a confusion as to where things are, and my user data is not mixing in with factory defaults, let alone system files or anything like that.
Thank you for the suggestion. But it's still more complicated than allowing an user to install software wherever he wants. Returning plugins or other software from backup, considering those are scattered over several location is still unneeded hassle. For sure unnecessary work.

TBH honest I don't get it.
1. Most software offers selecting installation path.
2. All installation frameworks have option to enable it, requiring no additional work from a programmer.

But you are acting like this is something wrong or unnecessary. You rather offer workarounds instead of encouraging programmer to meet common standards.

And again, if you missed it: the obxd installer offers path selection for VST2 while it's missing for VST3. It should be worth to equalize it for sake of consistency at least.

Most VST3 installers don't ask for a path. It's a requirement of the plugin format. Same as AAX. Blame Stienberg.

Didn't know that this is Stainberg's requirement. It could be the reason but:
I just looked at that specs and it's somehow inconsistent:
The VST3 format has a dedicated installation path all VST3 plug-ins must comply with. All your VST3 plug-ins should be installed here:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
32-bit VST3 plug-ins on 64-bit Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3
There is kind of dissonance between "must" and "should" words.
And later we can read:
Therefore, moving a plug-in from one folder to a different folder can render it unusable. In many cases, uninstalling and reinstalling a plug-in is the better way, if you really need to change the installation path of a plug-in. Also remember that your VST host application must know the new installation path.
So even Steinberg admits a need of installing plugins into custom locations.
It's obvious installer should suggest default location proposed by Steinberg's paper. But IMO there is no refusal of changing this location.

I recently heard EvilDragon day some DAWs don't even look for VST3 plugins elsewhere. You can move them wherever you like and create symlinks and everyone else can just use the standard folder. There's always a way.

FL20 won't look in any other path than Steinberg-prescribed one. So, not even giving an option where to install VST3s is actually also a preemptive measure against a possible barrage of support requests.

The solution is to: move Common Files\VST3 folder to whichever drive you want, then make a symlink to that new location where the VST3 folder originally was. Then you're happy, and all DAWs are happy.

To further elaborate:
-You can do the same with each vst preset folders.
-There are GUI utilities that integrate symlinks on the windows file explorer:
https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshe ... llext.html

Link Shell Extension FTW!

Just tried out the new preset bar:

1. Bug: changing presets causes the GUI to flicker. Using VST2, Reaper, Windows.

2. Really think the preset bar belongs up top (where literally every other synth with a preset bar puts them). Sometimes conforming with standards like that just makes sense.

There's no real standard on where a preset bar should go on a GUI...

maxym.srpl wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:39 am
But you are acting like this is something wrong or unnecessary. You rather offer workarounds instead of encouraging programmer to meet common standards.

And again, if you missed it: the obxd installer offers path selection for VST2 while it's missing for VST3. It should be worth to equalize it for sake of consistency at least.
In fact something is wrong, which I know because you presented it, and I'm explaining it to you constructively.

You believe in some standard that is violated, everything I guess is supposed to allow the user absolute freedom? I guess I'm unclear on this standard.
You believe that alternative path is needed. Not seeing it. It's not I have an opinion about you, but the argument.
- reality check, this particular developer is not going to conform to your beliefs, so one is going to follow the instructions or one is going to have an issue. :shrug:

NB: Instrument installers tend to separate factory library from user content directories, so as to not have an issue of overwriting defaults. (So a Steinberg installation, when having content, does similar.)
The plugin however is not a user content file like that, that standard doesn't follow. I have never thought to move that kind of file to some other directory. It's extraneous activity which I'd need good reason to do, and this wasn't that.

EvilDragon wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:50 pm There's no real standard on where a preset bar should go on a GUI...
I don't mean to imply it's written in a spec as such or anything. I'd just say 90/10 rule: it's gonna be at the top. Kush puts theirs at the bottom, but they let you create new banks, save presets, rename them, delete them, and also put their preferences there. So it looks more slick and kind of part of their overall design. Every other developer I can think of, especially with instruments, tends to put the preset bar up top. Except Roland Cloud where sometimes it's in the middle. I'm sure there's probably more examples of them being at the bottom, I'm still gonna say those will be few and far between compared to the vast majority that put it up top.

So not so much as a formal standard, just "the vast majority of the industry has opted to do things roughly the same way" so why not be consistent?

"And again, if you missed it: the obxd installer offers path selection for VST2 while it's missing for VST3."
I didn't miss anything. This is pretty much how everything works in a Steinberg installation. I've been doing it since before there was a VST3. I have this one installed, for a while.

You're really reaching here, Steinberg has admitted - by their use of the synonym, rather than an exact match of should to must - this need.
Yeah, you must, this you can take as a fact because you find it not working otherwise, so you really should. :lol:

sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine, installation libertarians

New 2.4 nightly build https://www.discodsp.net/obxd-nightly/
  • Preset browser tweaks.
  • Preset bar now availbale under MENU > View.
  • Fixed preset sync in AU.
  • Enhanced Standalone app windowing.

discoDSP wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:35 pm
Rappo Clappo wrote:Eh does the new version override the older one?
They share the same VST ID so yes.
Is this still the case? I'm using 2dat's version. Quite happy with it, so it's a bit of a pity I can't compare both versions.

Return to “Instruments”