Ableton Live Out Of Memory problem

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,
Currently I'm working with Ableton live 9.0.3 on windows 7 32 bit. When I try to export the project as wav file it give me error of "OUT OF MEMORY" (I think it's related to RAM memory). I have 8GB RAM installed and when I check in process Ableton use only 2GB. How Can I risolve this problem. Please help
KamaStep

Windows 32 bit can only access just under 4GB of RAM. 64 bit will allow usage of all your RAM. You still shouldnt be getting those errors. Have you altered virtual memory settings at some point? They should be left alone.

look up some things online, you need to specify the /3GB flag to the OS. that will give access to (almost) 3GB for live, but no more.

to use the rest of it, you can jbridge memory-hungry plugins (yes, even 32 bit to 32 bit). each plugin will run in a separate process, so they will get their own 3GB space each.

chroma wrote:look up some things online, you need to specify the /3GB flag to the OS. that will give access to (almost) 3GB for live, but no more.

to use the rest of it, you can jbridge memory-hungry plugins (yes, even 32 bit to 32 bit). each plugin will run in a separate process, so they will get their own 3GB space each.
Can you do this on a 32 bit operating system?

yes... you can still use jbridging to do this in a 32 bit OS. it's just a bit more unusual, since there aren't many 32 bit OSes that can handle >4GB anyways, and they're mostly server OS, or win7-32, which seems most people are using 64 bit win7 instead.

some details you can skip, but if you're interested: 32 bit OS still have an app per-process limit of 2GB, but with PAE the overall system can use more. jbridge puts the other VST in its own process, so your daw gets a 2GB limit, and the separate process gets its own 2GB limit, so it works.

normally the upper 2GB is assigned to the OS (each app gets its own 2GB space, but the OS space is common across all apps, and lets it use system services, talk to devices, etc). you can change this to 3GB app/1GB OS by passing a boot flag to the OS /3GB. the app must also be compiled with the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag (but nearly all are these days; live has had it since live 6 for instance).

Didn't I understand the OP to say that on export? I find it odd that you can play a project and not export it. Why would you need more ram to export?

I wonder if freezing or changing the export settings would help.

Sounds to me like he's exportig to a non-writable or full drive/folder. If you can play your set it should render the audio as well.

exactamundo.

TheKid wrote:Sounds to me like he's exportig to a non-writable or full drive/folder. If you can play your set it should render the audio as well.
Yep, it seems like it, but on the other hand, OP says the Live process is taking 2GB RAM at the moment. In other words it's right on the border of being too much (on a 32-bit system without the 3GB trick discussed above). It's sooo close, and Live's rendering functionality might need some extra memory when engaged -- even if the requirement is relatively small, that might be enough to tip the scales and the whole project runs out of memory.

KamaStep, unfortunately the 8 gigabytes you have on your system goes to waste on a 32-bit operating system :( ... You can try the 3GB trick to expand your possibilities somewhat, given that it works stable on your configuration, but if you find you're struggling with the RAM limit, the real long-term solution is installing a 64-bit OS. The good news is, you already have 8GB RAM, so you literally "only" need to install new software to get the benefits.

For your current project, you can also try realtime rendering, i.e. routing the main output of the program to a track and recording it. Create an empty track, use the input selector to select resampling (which in this case means recording the main output), arm the track and record while you play through the project. This way you can at least get a render out right away if you're in a hurry.

I just installed jBridge 1.5 Retail ... Can anyone tell me how to use it now . ._?
KamaStep

Read the manual and make a folder called Jbridge plugins tell it where your plugins are and tell Jbridge to make bridged versions in your new folder. Only use the ones that are bridged. Your 32bit OS will make this suffer though so it's a bit pointless.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”