Podfarm 2.5 question/opinion request/whining

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRAF
2166 posts since 17 Jan, 2008

Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:22 pm

i recently got a new computer and I can't use my Podfarm stuff anymore (unless I want to upgrade to Podfarm 2.5). I have the Toneport DI, and Podfarm. with the Toneport you have to have the thing plugged in like a dongle to get the the software to work; but neither the Toneport or Podfarm are supported on Mountain Lion.

the irritating thing is that i look at the prices: $99 for standard or $295 for platinum; then I go look at the upgrade prices and they're exactly the same ($99 for standard or $295 for platinum). that's not an upgrade, that's just offering me the same deal as everyone else. although it's irritating, I was tempted because I got some great sounds out of Podfarm and I pretty much had it wired.

reasons against buying:
1.they are always really bad about driver updates and the software was something I would have to do periodic maintenance on to keep it running correctly (often a huge pain in the butt).

2. the upgrade path thing I mentioned strikes me as shady.

reasons for purchasing 2.5:

1. i've had luck with Podfarm in the past and don't have to think when I'm using it.
2. new version doesn't require that stupid dongle.
3. the presets I made that I was really happy with should be compatible

$99 seems like a lot of money to spend on software I already own. I know time marches forward and I can't count on software working forever. I'm thinking that maybe it's time I marched forward myself and just bought some more gear from the Amplitube Custom Shop. can anyone give me any good reasons to stick with Podfarm over just moving forward and going deeper into Amplitube? for those who have used both: which do you prefer?
macbook pro 2.88 GHz Intel Core Duo, 10 gigs ram, 750GB HD, Logic Studio 9
my blog and some music:
http://rabbitearsmotel.wordpress.com/

Beware the Quoth
29931 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:08 am

Yeah, that's pretty pricy for what's basically keeping fairly old software going. If you're really tied to specific models, then I guess its your main option (unless you want to try and pick up a cheap hardware Pod), but if its just a generic amp sim you're after, then something like AT offers you a more up to date engine, a cheaper way in (if you wait for the inevitable sales), and more flexibility/options.
There's also tons of threads covering the alternate amp sims, some of which are pretty cheap by the sound of it.

Ive kept the Podfarm software on my windows machine because it works, but if I'd had to rebuy it to keep it going, I wouldnt have done, TBH.
successfully and consistently snarky

KVRian
838 posts since 21 Jan, 2006 from Athens, Greece

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:22 am

BTW there is a bug in the standalone version of podfarm 2 that you can't use any inputs other than 1 or 2 from your soundcard. This makes it useless for my Fireface 400. When I changed a couple of e-mails with the support they answered that "(a fix for) this is not high in their priority list". Well guess what... when they release a pod farm 3 this won't be high in my priority list either.... :)

KVRAF
4752 posts since 16 May, 2002 from Brisbane , Australia

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:16 am

Had issues with PF2.5 when it first came out. Despite being able to use it without the Pod plugged in none of my extras show up. Tried again recently and the issue still exists so basically I've given up on Line6. The PodXT will probably collect dust until some budding guitar playing desperado wants it.
My Music >>> °morelia ° Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

KVRian
888 posts since 19 Aug, 2009

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:30 am

michael2 wrote:
$99 seems like a lot of money to spend on software I already own. I know time marches forward and I can't count on software working forever. I'm thinking that maybe it's time I marched forward myself and just bought some more gear from the Amplitube Custom Shop. can anyone give me any good reasons to stick with Podfarm over just moving forward and going deeper into Amplitube? for those who have used both: which do you prefer?
Amplitube. Podfarm is basically 10 year old technology, and Amplitube blows it out of the water.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:19 am

you guys basically reinforced what I was already thinking. nice to know that the software is still buggy as hell. :hihi:

I actually have amplitube on my computer and a bunch of credits I bought during the group sale.I will just dive into that and never look back. thanks for the opinions.
my blog and some music:

KVRAF
25857 posts since 20 Jan, 2008 from a star near where you are

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:12 am

Just gotta say that the Analog Square Chorus included is some of the best FX I've heard.

Without overdoing it, it beefs up sounds and give them a lovely analog shine :love:

KVRian
958 posts since 9 Feb, 2013 from dallas tx

Post Thu May 01, 2014 6:06 am

I called line 6 and told them my podfarm would not work anymore when I got my new computer and they gave me a free upgrade to 2.5

Waaaaahhh
2224 posts since 30 Jul, 2001 from montreal, quebec,canada

Post Sun May 18, 2014 7:03 pm

check this free version out
http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... -5-player/

the Full version is way more flexible than the Line 6 stuff.
i prefer guitar rig over My POD XT with the addons.

guitar rig has stuff that Pod farm cannot do.
like Crossovers to split your Tone into frequency bands.

Like have a preset that Send the Guitar to an amp and have only the the High-mid range sent to a EHX Memory Man emulation, so no bass mud

I have the foot controller. it works with an Oscillator signal sent to one of the inputs of my soundcard.
It has way better resolution than using a midi pedal that has only 127 steps of resolution.

so i can do Wah-wah and pitch-shifting(like digitech whammy)
Plus you can correct the Wah performance with automation.
instead of re-recording because u didnt like the wah performance u did

It also has stuff like Envelopes,analog type Sequencing,LFOs and step-sequencers that can modulate any knobs in GR even the cross-overs and MS

Guitar rig also has Mid to Side internally so u can do MS without the need of loading several plugin instances in your DAW. u can even do MS with cross-overs.

I also prefer the distortions of GR than that of My POD XT's. GR's distortion is better at Dynamic Chugging(going soft to hard plucking)

And My RME sound-card has way better Analog to Digital converters than the Pod's. Most sound-cards have instrument level inputs so u won't necessarily a DI box (unless u have a really High-quality one)
Me I use a Golden Age Project Pre 73 for Neve type coloring
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

KVRian
836 posts since 28 Jan, 2008

Post Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 am

Guitar Rig doesn't sound good at all, imho.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Mon May 19, 2014 9:06 pm

xphen0m wrote:Guitar Rig doesn't sound good at all, imho.
old thread: I switched to amplitude awhile back.
my blog and some music:

Return to “Effects”