626 posts since 25 Jun, 2013

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:06 pm

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

http://luxonix.com/purity.html

I never thought I'd see the day.

Just thought I'd share the info.

Very happy to see this.

Go buy it.

Edit: Also, if you've bought a previous Luxonix product, you get a 20% discount. :o
Last edited by HaganeSteel on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
7648 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:20 pm

nice, but i would like to see a ravity(s) and ravity(r) bundle for $20 :x
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

KVRist
228 posts since 16 Nov, 2012

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:26 pm

Whaaaaat? I was going to get it the other day, but didn't feel the price, now this is great! Thanks for sharing!

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get this too, and soon.

I think it's now a very suitable competitor against the M1, especially since it's $10 bucks less if you've bought a Luxonix product previously.

I remember using Ravity extensively back in the day. I found that thing so musical and fun.

I know I've knocked its sound before, but Luxonix synths are the only other synths I find as musical as my Hyper Canvas. :hihi:

KVRist
228 posts since 16 Nov, 2012

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:37 pm

I just jumped on it! Already started two new projects with it! Reminds me of Hypersonic days

KVRist
42 posts since 30 Apr, 2004

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:40 pm

HaganeSteel wrote:Also, if you've bought a previous Luxonix product, you get a 20% discount. :o
Hey long time no see. Yes it's good news. Please check your email. :D

Banned
22470 posts since 5 Sep, 2001

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:12 am

Unfortunately flakey in latest mac oses.

KVRAF
3277 posts since 7 Aug, 2008

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:15 am

Is there no demo?

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:05 am

skycha wrote:
HaganeSteel wrote:Also, if you've bought a previous Luxonix product, you get a 20% discount. :o
Hey long time no see. Yes it's good news. Please check your email. :D
Thanks, Skycha. :D

Banned
12897 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:46 am

Some of the sounds are pretty good, the strings for instance. VA synths are just too limited for that.
The drums seem to be bit cheap, though. Or just an unfortunate selection in those demo tracks, dunno...

How big is that download?
Can one edit the sounds, e.g. is there a filter like with UVI sample players?

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:01 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:Some of the sounds are pretty good, the strings for instance. VA synths are just too limited for that.
The drums seem to be bit cheap, though. Or just an unfortunate selection in those demo tracks, dunno...

How big is that download?
Can one edit the sounds, e.g. is there a filter like with UVI sample players?
I played around with the Purity demo extensively in the past, and I still own Ravity. It's basically a souped up Ravity.

It's actually somewhat similar in its architecture to the M1 VST, where you have 2 waveforms, and can adjust all the parameters you'd expect to be able to.

There is a filter, an FX block (a damn good one), ADSR, etc. and you can make sounds from scratch too.

It's basically setup like how you'd expect a hardware rompler to be, but it does do some things smarter.

It uses a Korg-like "combi" system where you can link 2 or more of the 16 channels together to make a single sound. It does it way smarter than the M1 VST does, too, because combi and multi-mode are the same, and setting up combis is as easy as clicking the "link" button between 2 channels.

The download, IIRC, was only about 250mb? I could be wrong on that.

Some of Ravity/Purity does sound cheap, but it also sounds very usable to me. It mixes together well and sounds pretty clean - it does have some surprisingly good stuff in it, like the flute and strings.

I do remember Ravity aliasing a bit, though. I don't remember if Purity is the same way, but I think it aliases a bit too. And I do mean 'a bit'. I remember strings and flute in Ravity (S) having this minor, but harsh whistle in the upper ranges, I think.

Edit: Come to think of it, that aliasing may have been caused by the sample rate I was using at the time. Back then, I was recording in 48k. If someone else can chime in... :hihi:

Banned

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks for the answer :)

They linked to a review on their site:
http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/ ... rity-22152

2007?! and I thought it was a new one :D

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:23 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:Thanks for the answer :)

They linked to a review on their site:
http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/ ... rity-22152

2007?! and I thought it was a new one :D
Yeah, it's old.

I've always been attracted to Purity for its workflow.

I remember comparing Ravity to my XP-30 and liking Ravity a whole lot more for some reason, but I think this had more to do with workflow and Ravity's string sounds than anything else. My XP-30 probably sounds a lot better, but is harder to work with. I also find my XP-30's sound to be extremely cheesy, especially in its drums, whereas Ravity with its bell sounds felt fresh, even now. I like Purity's drum sounds a lot too, to be honest, but then again, I also like the SC-55. :shrug:

I'd say workflow and presets are Purity/Ravity's strengths.

As much as I hate to say it, I can open up the M1 and find nothing I need because its preset list is full of synthy/new agey stuff, and I always need to edit sounds. I can open up Ravity and find what I need and just go.

If I was getting aliasing because of my sample rate back then, then I'm buying this immediately, because I'm now working in 44.1.

Banned

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:27 am

So, how are you going to find out whether or not there is aliasing? There doesn't seem to be a demo version...

Regarding the sounds, there is a screenshot of the "synth" edit page, seems it is pretty complete, so even if some presets do not sound good, maybe one can tweak them into good ones :)

I don't really care if it is modern or not, I am mostly after real sounds like strings etc., but most romplers are just too big for me to download because of my internet access.

Just checked out the discontinued Ravity, it had a nice user interface. They should have built on that, looked much more solid than that flimsy Wavestation silver-blueish GUI.

For someone like you the Mixcraft DAW could be interesting, it comes with lots of samples as well, unfortunately they can't be used outside Mixcraft :P

KVRian
1282 posts since 4 Apr, 2011 from Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:54 am

layzer wrote:nice, but i would like to see a ravity(s) and ravity(r) bundle for $20 :x
:lol: :lol: :lol:

me too

Return to “Instruments”