1550 posts since 21 Dec, 2012

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:24 am

I have see at JRRshop that the Rob Papen's Synth Blue is at 79,50 Dollar

What do you think ? Yes or No

The price is a No-Brainer

KVRAF
6425 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:28 am

Absolutely, especially at that price. I bought it just after it was first released and it's still one of my favorite synths (h/w or s/w) to this day.

Also, Blue 2 is coming soon, so you'll probably get a pretty good upgrade offer.

KVRAF
3593 posts since 13 Jul, 2004 from Earth

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:46 am

Big Yes from here :)
Blue has been my favorite plugin since day 1 :tu:

KVRAF
6260 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:55 am

Wouldn't consider this a 'no-brainer' price. Better to watch for 'stupid deals' elsewhere.

KVRian
523 posts since 24 Feb, 2008

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:01 am

Blue2 release is so close that I doubt you'll see many stupid deals before that. That's why Blue is so cheap now.

KVRAF
6260 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:26 am

sl1914 wrote:Blue2 release is so close that I doubt you'll see many stupid deals before that. That's why Blue is so cheap now.
Probably true, it's only $99.00 on the Rob Papen website now though.
And I get extra charges from JRR because of where I live, making it not much of a deal anyway. (And often cheaper to buy elsewhere for me.)

'No-Brainer' deals begin at 35% off in my view.

KVRAF

Topic Starter

1550 posts since 21 Dec, 2012

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:31 pm

Thanks users ;)

I will sleep one night over my decision ;)

KVRian
968 posts since 29 Sep, 2006

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:45 pm

Blue is a very usable synth.
One of the big perks is it comes with a TON of sounds so your good to go straight out of the box.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

Banned
22470 posts since 5 Sep, 2001

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:01 pm

I like it, paid more for it than that that's for sure, that's a killer price.

KVRAF
6854 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from NZ

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:40 am

It is a very nice FM synth with wonderful presets. I would buy it at that price if I don't already have FM8 and other synths that cover that kind of sounds.
Cubase Pro 11, NI, Arturia, u-he, Synapse Audio, etc.
PC with Win10, MODX 6, KeyLab MK II, iTwo interface, DT 990 Pro and HS7 monitors.

KVRian
607 posts since 20 Oct, 2005

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:14 am

Downloaded the Demo.

One of the first things I like to do with any new Synth is checkout the sound quality of the raw oscillators without loads of effects.
I then like to add a spectrum analyzer and examine/compare it with other Synths I own.

Anyway it seems Blue doesn't have a init preset within the demo (that I could find) and that makes it very hard to judge.

I did spend some time trying to create my own init.
One thing I noticed though was the sound quality of Blue's analogue Sine wave leaves a lot to be desired.
Something isn't quite right.
In the spectrum Analyzer I can see some nasty spikes and activity that shouldn't be there. I tested from A0-27.50hz up to A5-880.00hz.

The thing is without an init I can't be sure there's something else within the Synth chain that is creating what I can only describe as horrible sound artifacts.

Could anyone who currently owns Blue please load its init patch and select just a Analogue Sine and let me know if they are experiencing the same issue?

This is one reason why I think ALL Synth demo's should provide their own init patch as it would help avoid any possible confusion.

Tested in Ableton Live9 Win7.

KVRian
1130 posts since 18 Nov, 2004 from The Liberated People's Republic of Straya

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:42 am

gone
Last edited by jacqueslacouth on Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRian
607 posts since 20 Oct, 2005

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:06 am

jacqueslacouth wrote:If the UI is comprehensive, it shouldn't be that hard to set up your own ini preset. I mean, going back to the early days when I was using primitive hW (and I know this may not have been a technically and theoretically correct way), I just used to drag all the sliders and pots back to zero and go from there.
Its true it shouldn't be hard but to be fair Blue has a lot more going on under its hood than primitive hardware Synth.
There's loads of variables that could be affecting the Sound and leading me to false conclusions.
Surely its not asking too much for developers to spend a little time to create an init for the Demo?

Presumably the developers know the Synth inside out and back to front and are best placed to create such a patch for evaluation purposes.

In the meanwhile though I won't purchase or recommend Blue based on the fact/misunderstanding that it can't create a simple sine wave without introducing artifacts that will render it completely useless for my needs.

KVRAF
4375 posts since 26 Apr, 2007 from Noosphere

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:36 am

Interesting. Did you use just a common spectrum analyser? Or vst analyser?

JPQ
KVRian
1082 posts since 7 Jan, 2008 from Finland

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:02 pm

I have also sinewave problem but i found clips some values very little when i changed i think one parameter little smaller results is fine. even before addinational harmonic i think is about -42db when 0db is main sound i think. and i recommend it its my one my favorite commercial synths. actually first synth what i buyed.

Return to “Instruments”