Why to you love Discovery or Discovery pro?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Corona Discovery Discovery Pro Diva Nexus Spire Sylenth1 Zebra

I noticed that Discovery Pro rates very high in popularity on this site and after downloading the demo and I like it enough to make it my next instrument after two years of using only Sylenth1 and Dune but Im a bit confused about some things for example there is no cutoff filter control? and almost anything I tweak seems to have little effect on the sound other than adding or removing a preset layer.
It seems to be a good deal to get 4,000 presets but not much way to control or edit?

The pad demo presets are rather harsh sounding does it also have many soft sounding pads and choir sounds?
Symphonic instrument sounds?
Many interesting percussion sounds?
Unfortunately they only give you a tiny selection of presets to try.

Please tell me about your experience?

The cut-off in Discovery is called "Freq" (in the "Filter" section), and there's even a filter envelope...

I don't know much about the PRO version but I'm quite happy with Discovery, and with layering you can get great sounds out of it... :)

devaram wrote:Im a bit confused about some things for example there is no cutoff filter control?
I'm not sure what control you mean?
(Cutoff) freq and resonance are in the filter section along with filter envelope?

I have the original discovery but in all honesty it's probably one of the synths I've programmed least with. Not sure why, I really like it and its sound. And for the things I have messed around it has always struck me as straightforward, elegant even.

Tricky-Loops wrote:The cut-off in Discovery is called "Freq" (in the "Filter" section), and there's even a filter envelope...

I don't know much about the PRO version but I'm quite happy with Discovery, and with layering you can get great sounds out of it... :)
Goes to show you should never do something else why writing a post on KVR - someone will sneak in before you...
:)

beltrom wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:The cut-off in Discovery is called "Freq" (in the "Filter" section), and there's even a filter envelope...

Goes to show you should never do something else why writing a post on KVR - someone will sneak in before you...
:)
KVR even allows opinions of different people at 5 min. intervals... :wink:

Tricky-Loops wrote:KVR even allows opinions of different people at 5 min. intervals... :wink:
Sorry, I used to be married, so I'm kind of unsure how this whole having my own opinion thing works... ;)

No, I was mostly referring to the redundant pointing out of the frequency button. It looked rather superfluous after your post.

My opinion (!) is that frequency probably would be a better name than cutoff, if Cutoff wasn't so established. For discovery I'm pretty sure it's the Nord that was the template.

beltrom wrote:My opinion (!) is that frequency probably would be a better name than cutoff, if Cutoff wasn't so established. For discovery I'm pretty sure it's the Nord that was the template.
I would call it "Cut-Off Frequency" - but for beginners "Cut-Off" is better because they are lost on the term "Frequency"...

Tricky-Loops wrote:
beltrom wrote:My opinion (!) is that frequency probably would be a better name than cutoff, if Cutoff wasn't so established. For discovery I'm pretty sure it's the Nord that was the template.
I would call it "Cut-Off Frequency" - but for beginners "Cut-Off" is better because they are lost on the term "Frequency"...
Yes, of course the whole name is better. But I was thinking in terms of limited space to write.

If beginners are lost on frequency how do they know what they're cutting off? :)
(I actually remember this as a question I had way (way, way) back, when VCF was kind of a vague term in itself.)

Edit:
Sorry Devaram, the labeling is a really minor issue on which we have little impact in this thread and its not very relevant to you original post. So I'll drop out on that after this post.

The popularity is only based how often a product page was viewed. Maybe the developer hits often enough reload :D IMO this synth has not such a big popularity.
I see other synth with big threads and where users are interested about the sound and stuff. Discovery is a bit under the radar because... yes, because the sound is mediocre and the synth and features are average.

4damind wrote:IMO this synth has not such a big popularity.
Being popular isn't the same as being good, a lot of popular stuff is just pure crap :D
4damind wrote:I see other synth with big threads and where users are interested about the sound and stuff. Discovery is a bit under the radar because... yes, because the sound is mediocre and the synth and features are average.
Maybe the developer has a life, and doesn't have time to hang around on KVR Forum and chit-chat all the time ;)

When I bought discodsp Corona some months ago, that was the first time in a long time, I got that wow-feeling trying out a new instrument :tu:

You don't often get that with a plugin

beltrom wrote:If beginners are lost on frequency how do they know what they're cutting off? :)
(I actually remember this as a question I had way (way, way) back, when VCF was kind of a vague term in itself.)
According to the OP he has been playing with Sylenth1 and Dune for two years, so hardly a beginner.

I guess he has just been using the presets, so Disocvery Pro is propably too advanced for him.

Can't find cutoff, and then there is a freq knob, lol what a tenderfoot :lol:

4damind wrote:The popularity is only based how often a product page was viewed. Maybe the developer hits often enough reload :D IMO this synth has not such a big popularity.
I see other synth with big threads and where users are interested about the sound and stuff. Discovery is a bit under the radar because... yes, because the sound is mediocre and the synth and features are average.
Which synth sounds fantastic in your opinion?

devaram wrote:
4damind wrote:The popularity is only based how often a product page was viewed. Maybe the developer hits often enough reload :D IMO this synth has not such a big popularity.
Check u-he's Zebra http://www.u-he.com/cms/zebra
Fantastic quality and tons of presets to boot (many free ones at http://www.u-he.com/PatchLib/zebra.html

Nothing wrong with discoDSP's synths btw, if you like the sound of them then I don't see why you shouldn't add Discovery/Discovery Pro to your arsenal...
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

core wrote:Nothing wrong with discoDSP's synths btw, if you like the sound of them then I don't see why you shouldn't add Discovery/Discovery Pro to your arsenal...
And so say also MusicRadar: http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/ ... -pro-78826
Summary:
We've always liked Discovery, so it follows that we like Discovery Pro even more. The presets might be a little 'trendier' than those of the basic version, but they nevertheless show off exactly what can be done with some of the new features.

Discovery Pro continues discoDSP's tradition of offering excellent sound quality and a flexible signal path in a package that won't leave you scratching your head. Making your own sounds is easy, gratifying, and - most importantly of all - inspiring. What more could one ask of a soft synth?

core wrote:
devaram wrote:
Check u-he's Zebra http://www.u-he.com/cms/zebra
Fantastic quality and tons of presets to boot (many free ones at http://www.u-he.com/PatchLib/zebra.html

Nothing wrong with discoDSP's synths btw, if you like the sound of them then I don't see why you shouldn't add Discovery/Discovery Pro to your arsenal...
I downloaded the demo for zebra and of course very impressed but rather intimidated by all the programming stuff and not too impressed with the goofy non musical presets that are not well organized.

Return to “Instruments”