Voxengo SPAN 2.7 FFT spectrum analyzer plugin released

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRAF
3726 posts since 7 Sep, 2002

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:22 am

November 15, 2013: Voxengo SPAN version 2.7 update is now available for download. SPAN is a free real-time "fast Fourier transform" audio spectrum analyzer plugin for professional music and audio production applications. For the most part it was derived from Voxengo GlissEQ dynamic parametric equalizer and reproduces its spectrum analysis functionality. SPAN is available in AudioUnit, VST and now VST3 plug-in formats (including native 64-bit support), for Mac OS X (v10.5 and later), and Windows computers.

List of changes in version 2.7:
  • Increased "smoothed" graph drawing precision.
  • Fixed crash when 1/12 octave smoothing is enabled.
  • Increased overall spectrum drawing precision.

SPAN provides you with a very flexible "mode" system which you can use to setup your spectrum analyzer preferences. You may specify Fourier block size in samples, FFT window overlap percentage, spectrum's visual slope. Beside that you can choose to display secondary spectrum of a desired type (e.g. real-time maximum, all-time maximum). Spectrum can be smoothed out visually for an easier examination.

SPAN also features output level metering with adjustable ballistics and integration time, K-system metering (including calibration K-system metering). SPAN displays level metering statistics, headroom estimation and clipping detection. Correlation metering is available as well.

SPAN features:
  • Output signal power statistics
  • Spectrum smoothing
  • User interface window resizing
  • Clipping statistics
  • Correlation meter
  • K-metering
  • Stereo and multi-channel analysis
  • Mid/side analysis
  • Internal channel routing
  • Channel grouping
  • Preset manager
  • Undo/redo history
  • A/B comparisons
  • Contextual hint messages
  • All sample rates support
Voxengo SPAN and other pro audio plug-ins can be downloaded at the Voxengo web site: http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/

KVRAF
3474 posts since 9 Oct, 2004 from Poland

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:23 am

Wohoho ! Thanks :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

KVRAF
2049 posts since 18 Sep, 2003 from Seattle USA

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:03 am

:tu:
Thank you

KVRian
537 posts since 19 Jul, 2008

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:24 pm

I'd also like to chime in to say a big THANk YOU. :tu:

Such a great tool for free and constantly updated and supported - that's almost unreal !

@Aleksey... I'm almost shy to ask... :oops:

I always wondered, if you could integrate an osciloscope into SPAN,
something like Smartelectronix's s(M)exoscope ?
I think it would make some people happy, especially those, who use x64 systems these days.

Hope you don't mind asking...

Thanks and Cheers

KVRAF

Topic Starter

3726 posts since 7 Sep, 2002

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:55 pm

You are welcome!

I do not plan to include an oscilloscope in SPAN, sorry.

Banned
22470 posts since 5 Sep, 2001

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:04 pm

Thankyou! Does span plus have an oscilloscope? There really isn't a good one available for mac 64 at all. The blue cat has potential, but from the beta days years back I was begging for tighter zoom out options, like for example bram sxoscope, but they just won't add it for some reason. It really make it pointless for doing nice long overviews and comparing tracks. That would be a great hit aleksey. Anyway thank you very much for span.

KVRAF
2291 posts since 18 Apr, 2001 from The Netherlands

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:32 pm

TheoM wrote:There really isn't a good one available for mac 64 at all.
How about this one:
http://www.stillwellaudio.com/plugins/s ... ns/schope/
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

KVRer
16 posts since 13 Mar, 2013 from South Africa

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:19 am

It would be really great if SPAN had an oscilloscope. :D I also used to use Smartelectronix's s(M)exoscope and battled to find a replacement (64bit) with the same amount of detail. Until I came across this freebie on CM Mag called Waveshaper CM by Cableguys. I set the mix to 0% so it is only using the oscilloscope and change the view to LEFT channel only which helps increase the size of the wave form.

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/wavesha ... -cableguys

KVRAF
5554 posts since 13 Feb, 2006 from Wiesmoor, Germany

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:25 am

Thanks for the update :tu:

Cheers
Dennis

KVRAF
2291 posts since 18 Apr, 2001 from The Netherlands

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:32 am

Although I posted the link for TheoM, I must say that from all the (free) analyzers I've tried, I like SPAN the most. So this is the one sitting by default on my master channel. Thanks Aleksey for keeping this updated.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

KVRian
537 posts since 19 Jul, 2008

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:16 am

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:You are welcome!

I do not plan to include an oscilloscope in SPAN, sorry.
OK, thanks for taking the time to answer. :)

Best

Banned
22470 posts since 5 Sep, 2001

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:38 pm

crimsonwarlock wrote:
TheoM wrote:There really isn't a good one available for mac 64 at all.
How about this one:
http://www.stillwellaudio.com/plugins/s ... ns/schope/
Its 32 bit, and incredibly unstable in logic.. Like all stilllwell/schwa plugins unfortunately. But thanks,

Sexy scope was perfect, but is also a bit crash happy now in new environments. Truth be told I want even finer outward zoom than shope can offer.

I have a cm subscription on ipad and I'm allowed to download the plugins apparently so that's really cool. Will check it. Anyone know if the cableguys one can zoom out? They are all ok on zoom in, well the blue cat one is, you can pretty much get to the sample. But it's really hard to find one on mac that can say show you a whole track in in one window. I know that if aleksey ever tackles this, he will do it with, plenty of zoom options, hence why I'm hoping!

Lol I just saw the iPads spelling correction above,

Back on topic, span is amazing, can't wait to buy the,plus version on the Xmas sale :grin:

KVRian
793 posts since 1 Sep, 2008 from US

Post Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:58 pm

Makes me sad my SPAN Plus isn't getting the same love :(

Return to “Effects”