can this be done ???

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

and if yes - anyone want to take it on ???

in a thread about simsynth 2.7 standalone and simsynth live vsti ...
i wrote:.. i wonder if its actually possible to write a generic wrapper that would load those old standalone virtual synths as vst instruments (passing sequencer MIDI info to them and routing the audio back into the host) ???
just think ...

simsyth 2.7
ts404 (the original)
orangator

slainte 8) rob

Hey Phz that is a f**king gem of an idea! I have no clue if it could be done, but i really hope it can. that would be fantastic!

Orangator ruled :D :D :D

i reckon pm jorgen,give him five minutes and EXT will be able to do it!and make toast for krim :wink:

vurt wrote:i reckon pm jorgen,give him five minutes and EXT will be able to do it!and make toast for krim :wink:
Good call john boy! Jorgen is the motherfucking coding machine! He'll sort it out :D

Nice idea, pals, but sorry, I don't think something like this would be possible. :(

Why?

Without wanting to go too deep into technical jargon:

A normal windows application does not have an explicitly defined interface to the "outside world". Simply because an Application normally does not need such an interface, since it is supposed to run on itself, not within an environment (other than the operating system's API).

That's the main difference between an app and a shared library (DLL) and plug-in, IMO. The lack of an interface.

Which would be the point to "hook in" if you wanted to write a wrapper.

Only way to do it would be to wrap the whole Win32 API and actually "emulate" the Windows Environment for the standalone synth - then it could be done.

But I think you now get the picture...

An interesting idea though. :)

Best,
Stefan
http://www.stefan-kuhn.net
Home of Vivaldi MX and Ganymed

Couldn't you use a virtual audio cable to route the output from Simsynth into a sequencer?

aMUSEd wrote:Couldn't you use a virtual audio cable to route the output from Simsynth into a sequencer?
Hehe. One could write an audio and midi device driver and use these 'virtual devices' in the standalone App.

Then write a special VST effect or synth plug-in that 'hooks' to these virtual devices and gets the audio buffers and midi data from them. That should be possible.

What a shitload of work, but what an idea... :idea:

Best,
Stefan
Home of Vivaldi MX and Ganymed

stefankuhn wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Couldn't you use a virtual audio cable to route the output from Simsynth into a sequencer?
Hehe. One could write an audio and midi device driver and use these 'virtual devices' in the standalone App.

Then write a special VST effect or synth plug-in that 'hooks' to these virtual devices and gets the audio buffers and midi data from them. That should be possible.

Best,
Stefan
Years ago, when I had NI Generator, it came with a virtual cable you could patch into a sequencer. That worked pretty well as I recall - I used to have fun running Generator patches using Sounder as a randomiser.

stefankuhn wrote:

Best,
Stefan

well stop postin here and get busy :x
we need it by wednesday!

vurt wrote: well stop postin here and get busy :x
we need it by wednesday!
That was funny.

Best,
Stefan