Spicy Guitar - the Pianoteq of guitar modelling plugins

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
32386 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:24 am

Finally guitar modelling plugin that has something of the realism and customisability of Pianoteq. I can't believe this is free, it sounds so much better than String Studio and Revitar, the only other real alternatives (not as good as Creamware 6 string but I don't have that anymore sadly).

The main things I am missing are I can't see how to set it up for aftertouch, it doesn't appear in the drop down midi mapper, and alternate tunings (or even better microtunings although that may be harder to implement with a guitar model) would also be great. Resizable gui would be cool too.

http://www.spicyguitar.com

U-o
KVRian
1317 posts since 16 Nov, 2011

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:32 am

I bought it when it was payware plugin. Really good plugin, now updated for 64bit.
yzcoruhT

KVRAF
2511 posts since 15 Jun, 2006

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:14 pm

Wow this does fast strums really well!

KVRAF
4179 posts since 15 Nov, 2006 from Hell

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:35 pm

sometimes i wonder if it's me who doesn't know what a guitar sounds like. i've seen this so many times already - rave reviews, this or that plugin nailed it, so realistic, blah blah, only to find that it's so painfully fake that i wonder how anyone could confuse this with a real guitar. i mean, can't blame anyone for trying to develop emulations and i wholeheartedly welcome it (not to mention Pianoteq sounded like crap till version 3 too), but it's not even remotely there yet. in fact, i think i've gotten better sounds from Revitar than from this thing. and i'm not even a guitarist.
From Russia with love
Our online jams (if you speak Russian - you're welcome to join!)

KVRAF
3294 posts since 6 Jul, 2012 from Sick-cily

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:41 pm

A Real Guitar is: a Gibson Les Paul Standard coupled with a Crate Amp with a Shure SM-57 in front the speaker but however I can understand the many keyboar players who have never experienced "certain sensations"... :hihi:

Anyway not a bad Plugin
Last edited by Turello on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
2747 posts since 13 Feb, 2012 from Amsterdam

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:42 pm

I think the issue with guitar emulations is that it's quite hard to translate guitar playing, the technique etc, to a piano roll.
Emulating a guitar is one thing, to get it to sound like a guitarist is a different matter altogether.

KVRist
41 posts since 29 Oct, 2008 from England

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:54 pm

This is a great update, particularly since Spicy Guitar is completely free! Does anyone have any idea where on earth the 64-bit development of AAS's Strum Acoustic & Electric GS-1 plug-ins are? Searching on AAS's forum, twitter, facebook.....no mention of a potential update to 64-bit anywhere!

KVRist

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:59 pm

.......that would be the OS X 64-bit version

KVRAF
4524 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:19 pm

evertonfan wrote:This is a great update, particularly since Spicy Guitar is completely free! Does anyone have any idea where on earth the 64-bit development of AAS's Strum Acoustic & Electric GS-1 plug-ins are? Searching on AAS's forum, twitter, facebook.....no mention of a potential update to 64-bit anywhere!
For Windows they are all in native 64-bit since January 2010. It's been 4 years and half!!!!

See here too at right for Windows and at left for Mac (for Mac yes, they are 32-bit only):
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

KVRist

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:32 pm

Thanks........yep its Mac 64-bit support I am waiting for :-(

As you say four & half years when Windows 64-bit support was added........but to wait this long to extend 64-bit support to Mac.....

KVRAF
1598 posts since 16 Jan, 2010 from Denver

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:42 pm

evertonfan wrote:Thanks........yep its Mac 64-bit support I am waiting for :-(

As you say four & half years when Windows 64-bit support was added........but to wait this long to extend 64-bit support to Mac.....
well there is definitely not the incentive there once was for the dev once he set it free. Sort of hard to blame them for just doing it in their spare time when they arent making money off of it

KVRAF

Topic Starter

32386 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:46 pm

ezelkow1 wrote:
evertonfan wrote:Thanks........yep its Mac 64-bit support I am waiting for :-(

well there is definitely not the incentive there once was for the dev once he set it free. Sort of hard to blame them for just doing it in their spare time when they arent making money off of it
He's talking about the AAS plugins not Spicy.

KVRist
416 posts since 19 Oct, 2012

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:50 pm

aMUSEd wrote:Finally guitar modelling plugin that has something of the realism and customisability of Pianoteq. I can't believe this is free, it sounds so much better than String Studio and Revitar, the only other real alternatives (not as good as Creamware 6 string but I don't have that anymore sadly).

The main things I am missing are I can't see how to set it up for aftertouch, it doesn't appear in the drop down midi mapper, and alternate tunings (or even better microtunings although that may be harder to implement with a guitar model) would also be great. Resizable gui would be cool too.

http://www.spicyguitar.com
Are the demos on that website for an older version? They sound worse than Strum Acoustic to me.

KVRAF
1550 posts since 21 Dec, 2012

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:54 pm

The Sturm Plugins are in development for 64 Bits and will coming ;) I got this informations from one of the dev of AAS ;)

They actually work on this ;)
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

KVRAF
4524 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:00 pm

MillerSam wrote:The Sturm Plugins are in development for 64 Bits and will coming ;) I got this informations from one of the dev of AAS ;)

They actually work on this ;)
Yes, AAS is an excellent team, and they are very serious, so there was no doubt that they work on the 64-bit portability on MAC as they did on Windows.
:tu:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Return to “Instruments”