LinnStrument Minstrel Setups

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No one is going to come hear me play, so I have to chase after them and get setup before they have a chance to leave. So I am interested in what people come up with in terms of portable LinnStrument systems for performing. Currently, I am using the LinnStrument, a high-end MacBook Pro, and a BeoPlay A2 Speaker. I have a retractable USB cable coupling the LinnStrument to the MacBook Pro, and a retractable audio cable coupling the MacBook Pro to the BeoPlay A2. The BeoPlay A2 and MacBook Pro can run for hours on internal rechargeable batteries, while the LinnStrument is powered over USB by the MacBook Pro.

The BeoPlay A2 is 1.8" (45mm) thick, while the LinnStrument is about 1" (25mm) thick. Together they are about as thick as a Novation MiniNova Synth, so they fit snugly in my MiniNova GigBag. The MiniNova GigBag has a front pocket sized to fit a 15" laptop, perfect for the MacBook Pro. The MiniNova GigBag has ample pockets for cables, chargers (just in case), and a little more. The MacBook Pro is running Logic Pro X and Native-Instrument Complete Ultimate and other software, so all-in-all its a pretty complete setup in a small gig bag.

Excuse me while I reply to myself. The BeoPlay A2 is a Bluetooth speaker that uses the (high quality and ok latency) Aptx codec. I configured my MacBook Pro with the same Aptx codec. I tried playing Kontakt instruments hosted by Logic Pro X through Bluetooth using the Aptx codec, but the latency was too great. Then I tried playing the Kontakt instruments standalone and the latency was acceptable to me. So there is definitely some potential for a wireless audio link here. Note that other portable Bluetooth speakers like the Bose Soundlinks and the Beats Pill XL do not use the Aptx codec, so I think their latencies would be worse.

Unfortunately, my next experiment failed. My goal here was an "Untethered LinnStrument". The idea was to strap on a LinnStrument like Roger Linn did in one of his presentations. Connect to an phone in a pocket and then Aptx the audio to the BeoPlay A. iPhones don't have Aptx. Some Android phones have Aptx, but their handling of Midi and Audio is too slow. However, the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge can be configured with Sound Camp, which is Samsung's platform for high-speed audio and MIDI; these phones also support Aptx, according to my understanding. I got my Galaxy Note 4 to communicate over Bluetooth with the BeoPlay A2 when playing pre-recorded MP3s and the like. Unfortunately, I could get Sound Camp to output audio over Bluetooth. Hopefully, when more of you have your LinnStruments, I can get some help on this.

While I understand your quest for convenience in this setup, I would strongly advise against using any setup that relies on bluetooth or wifi. While it might work acceptably in a controlled environment like your home, as soon as you step outside with it, you'll get massive amounts of interference, even more so during events and concerts. It's almost guaranteed that what used to work at home, will stop working when you want to perform. Wires are a blessing for live performance, you know exactly what the signal path is and control everything about it.
Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

Hi Clif,
The only thing I'd add is I appreciate that you are exploring these alternate ways of using LinnStrument. Even though using wifi or bluetooth will certainly add latency, for legato playing styles the latency might not matter as much to you. So it really depends on what works for you.
I also take it as a high compliment that you value LinnStrument enough to want to optimize your system around it.
Best,
Roger

Thanks, Roger. The LinnStrument is the one invariant in my various musical setups. For the record, I tested the MacBook Pro Bluetooth setup by playing a plucked sound (harp) in a rapid staccato style. It seems you were so successful at minimizing LinnStrument latency that you left enough slack for Bluetooth (Aptx) to be useful.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”