Now Hive is here, is it RIP Sylenth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2 Sylenth1

Sure, individual envelope stages that can be modulated are cool, but in view of the fact that Sylenth1's are not of that type, they are actually pretty good in my view. For fixed stages I like those envelopes a lot, I prefer them to Dune 2's for instance.
They are snappy/punchy and I like the subtle and effective way they are restarted.

I am enjoying Hive so much, to the point I no longer need Sylenth1 (anyone wants to purchase the license? let me know..). To me it's an upgrade in every aspect: oscillators, filters, envelopes, effects, GUI, modulation, sequencer, browser, workflow, developers, support, etc. But, I hope Urs will further develop Hive to include some more features.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.

What's wrong with LD and his support?
He responds quickly to questions and ideas in his sub-forum. When I found a little bug, it was fixed in the next update. But no, he doesn't live on KVR ;)

Hive's reverb and mod options are better, yes.

it is till a new face arrives, then its RIP Hive too. :roll:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Everything about Hive is better than Sylenth1. Hive is pure class!

layzer wrote:it is till a new face arrives, then its RIP Hive too. :roll:
Perhaps. :roll:

:hihi:

Russell Grand wrote:
layzer wrote:it is till a new face arrives, then its RIP Hive too. :roll:
Perhaps. :roll:

:hihi:
a good way to know if a future spouse will
cheat on you is to observe how often they
drop one softsynth for another :wink:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

fluffy_little_something wrote: Hive's reverb and mod options are better, yes.
Better effects.
Better modulation system.
Better patch browser.
Better customer support.

Russell Grand wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: Hive's reverb and mod options are better, yes.
Better effects.
Better modulation system.
Better patch browser.
Better customer support.
Apart from the reverb I don't agree. I really like the chorus, delay and phaser a lot. The compressor does the trick. The equalizer is basic, but effective. Would not hurt to have a third, freely selectable band, though. I hardly ever use distortion, so I can't comment on that.
The arp is fine as well, although it is not an effect as such I think.

Yes, modulating individual envelope stages with velocity would be nice.

I never use patch browsers, I have my own folders on my USB pen.

Again, what exactly is the problem with LD's customer support?

I find LD Sylenth1 has a bit more bite and cut through, it cuts through in a good way, it is not heard or is standing out for the wrong reasons (i.e. does not fit in to the mix) but for the right ones. To my ears anyway. Hive sounds a little safe and restrained and smoothed out to my ears so my preference of these 2 synths is Sylenth1, which may be fine for a more polite piece of music.

I prefer Sylenth1's presence over a wider range.. it also seems to sound more tangible and richer through the spectrum/filter ranges to my ears.

Synthman2000 wrote:I find LD Sylenth1 has a bit more bite and cut through, it cuts through in a good way, it is not heard or is standing out for the wrong reasons (i.e. does not fit in to the mix) but for the right ones. To my ears anyway. Hive sounds a little safe and restrained and smoothed out to my ears so my preference of these 2 synths is Sylenth1, which may be fine for a more polite piece of music.

I prefer Sylenth1's presence over a wider range.. it also seems to sound more tangible and richer through the spectrum/filter ranges to my ears.
That very much coincides with the way they sound to me, too.

Lennard is notorious for going months without answering a customer service inquiry. Perhaps he's better now, but his history has been extremely rocky in this department.

As for Hive's sound, fx, etc: to each their own. I prefer Hive in every aspect. Sure Sylenth1 can cut through a mix, but for me it's not really a sound that I want to cut through the mix. :hihi:

Russell Grand wrote:Lennard is notorious for going months without answering a customer service inquiry. Perhaps he's better now, but his history has been extremely rocky in this department.
He has his own support sub-forum on KVR, where he seems to be present almost daily, answering questions and helping with problems.

I don't know how it was years ago. But from what I know, Sylenth1 was in a kind of coma before he started to update it again. LD seems to be a very small company, a one-man show, and Sylenth1 is his only product. So, assuming he has a real life with responsibilities, a job, a family etc., it is understandable if he was absent for longer periods in the past. He has a lot of FAQ on his site, which probably answer 95%+ of any questions people might have.
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”