What Does The Jury Say on Uhe Presswerk?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRian
1043 posts since 17 Jun, 2012

Post Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:05 pm

Hello Folks,

Now that has been out for a while I am curious to know what you guys think about Uhe Presswerk. I really enjoy their Satin plugin. Uhe seems to do a really good job at creating nonlinearties in their plugins that make them seem more "alive" and react like hardware as opposed to first generation digital plugins that are flatter, duller, and harder sounding.

I wonder how good of a job this could do to replace some of the more famous comps 1176, dbx 160/165, cl1b, la2a, ssl, fairchild etc...? It seems someone was awesome enough to upload some presets to help get those vibes...

The clips I have heard online sound very convincing and this seems to respond much like hardware. The only thing that kind of deters me is the notion that this has some kind of signature sound that you can't get rid of. Maybe this is due to people engaging the analog feature that adds preset degrees of roundness and saturation?

Anyways, this looks cool and I'm definitely considering.... Maybe some of you can talk me into or hmmmm out of it....

I already own tons of comps between Nebula (too much of a pain in the arse to use), Klanghelm, and Ni/IK/Waves emulations. I am actually finding that I am getting more use out of the Klanghlem than some of the others these days because somehow the compression action seems more hardware-like than some of the "emulations" that might have more accurate controls and eq curves. After getting over the whole idea that it has to sound exactly like a popular piece of hardware I have come to appreciate that compressor even more.

Curious to know how you feel Presswerk measures up to your favorite stuff. :hihi:

KVRAF
9433 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:33 am

I'm interested in opinions from those that have also tried Boz +10db

Ie if you have Presswerk is their any point?
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Banned
3900 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:21 am

Its the best compressor i ever used. It works amazingly good on whole mixes and individual chanels - leads, drums, vocals. Its all rounder compressor. But what did stuck in my head how great it is for mastering, how well it "glues" the mix.

I think if you have this compressor you dont need any other. Well except multiband one if you dont have any of that type.

KVRAF
1993 posts since 18 Nov, 2008

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:27 am

It's good but not distinct enough (or better sounding) than other compressors that I own so I passed.
If I didn't have so many cool compressors already I might buy it tho
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

KVRist
414 posts since 30 Oct, 2014

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:18 am

Love it! It's become my go to comp lately.

KVRist
282 posts since 24 Nov, 2014

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:08 am

VariKusBrainZ wrote:I'm interested in opinions from those that have also tried Boz +10db

I have both. Both are in the 'best in class' bracket in terms of general sonic quality.

+10db is a 1:1 hardware emulation.

Presswerk is more like a Swiss army knife that emulates nothing. It's more akin to 2C8C than +10db.

Flexible, versatile and easy to use. Great sidechain capabilities. Excellent saturation.

I like it because it's easy to use - easier than 2C8C and more useful to me.

You absolutely don't need both (of course) but they complement each other nicely here.

KVRAF
9433 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:26 am

transmetropolitan wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:I'm interested in opinions from those that have also tried Boz +10db

I have both. Both are in the 'best in class' bracket in terms of general sonic quality.

Presswerk is more like a Swiss army knife that emulates nothing. It's more akin to 2C8C than +10db.

Flexible, versatile and easy to use. Great sidechain capabilities. Excellent saturation.

You absolutely don't need both (of course) but they complement each other nicely here.
Thanks for the reply :)

I was basically wondering if Presswerk can produce similar effects seeing as its more versatile and configurable than most compressors
Amazon: why not use an alternative

KVRist
282 posts since 24 Nov, 2014

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:49 am

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
transmetropolitan wrote:

Thanks for the reply :)

I was basically wondering if Presswerk can produce similar effects seeing as its more versatile and configurable than most compressors
It's possible yeah, easy perhaps no. You can get a similar low mid push. I have to say that I generally turn to +10b first on drums.

The eq is also a huge part of +10db and Presswerk can't replicate that.

Seriously the EQ alone is well worth investigating with +10db.

Banned
22470 posts since 5 Sep, 2001

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:05 pm

it sounds wonderful! Am trying the demo the last few days. The problem for me is like Satin it is too complex.. I really prefer hardware type dummy easy stuff like slate..

but if you are wanting a workhorse and are a tweaker, then absolutely, presswerk is gr8, you can't go wrong.

Banned
18682 posts since 2 Oct, 2001 from England

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:28 pm

The GUI is nice

KVRAF
25857 posts since 20 Jan, 2008 from a star near where you are

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:30 pm

'The Jury' ?

Is that a new member? :?

KVRAF
5409 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:08 pm

I don't like the idea behind Presswerk (for me it's too complex). If it comes to a "compressor toolbox" IMO DMG Audio with "Compassion" is a better option if people like tweaking (Afaik it goes a lot deeper than Presswerk and allows more different compression behaviour) .... and I like the modern interface more ;)

KVRian
1466 posts since 22 Feb, 2005

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:32 pm

Numanoid wrote:'The Jury' ?

Is that a new member? :?
Have you ever posted a useful comment in this forum? I doubt it.

KVRAF
7547 posts since 7 Aug, 2003 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:38 pm

I like Presswerk as a character compressor to add color to the original sound. For basic compression duties, I generally turn to the Sonar pro channel effects out of convenience.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

3ee
KVRAF
3817 posts since 8 Mar, 2006

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:48 pm

note: The "analog" DPR feature is independent from saturation... turning that off won't affect saturation.

Yeah, Presswerk is great, totally different general character than DC8C2 for example... I have both, DC8C2 is very nice too, but to be honest, I stopped using it since Presswerk became my go-to compressor. :D (I also use Waves C1 and NI Solid Bus comp from time to time too as well as others... )

As far as "replacing" the vintage emulations out there... it's not suppose to do that, but if one aims for a certain character and not exact emulation, Presswerk replaces almost any other compressor IMO. - because - It's really good sounding, doesn't take much CPU and it's very flexible not to mention it works and looks great too.

Return to “Effects”