New PPG Wave 2.2V - Several issues STILL UNFIXED!! :(

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
ZeePok
KVRian
1135 posts since 22 Aug, 2004 from Edge City, the Low Country

Post Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:05 pm

I did the upgrade from Waldorf Edition v1 to v2. But as far as the PPG Wave 2.2V is concerned I really don't see the point! Apart from that awful, ugly new GUI they slapped on it, nothing seems changed!:

- the internal randomizer (Alt-AKKU) is still broken! All it does is resetting almost all parameters to zero! It also seems that everyone is ignoring this problem! :(

- then I tried using the PPG Wave 2.2V in 'Chainer' (I know it is ancient (so am I ;) ), but I like using it, because it has a great randomizer.

However, the PPG Wave 2.2V gives no sound when used in 'Chainer'! :(

"Kids! Get off my lawn!"

planetearth
KVRAF
2073 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Tampa

Post Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:17 pm

This "Instruments" forum on KVR probably not the best place to post a "tech support" request for the discontinued PPG Wave 2.V. Waldorf has a forum on their website; you might get better results there.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

ZeePok
KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:10 pm

The main tester of Waldorf is also on this forum, so I hope that he finally takes notice ... !

"Kids! Get off my lawn!"

robotmonkey
KVRAF
2653 posts since 20 Jun, 2012

Post Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:26 pm

planetearth wrote:This "Instruments" forum on KVR probably not the best place to post a "tech support" request for the discontinued PPG Wave 2.V. Waldorf has a forum on their website; you might get better results there.

Steve
It is perfectly ok to complain here about the problems with PPG. And this is what the op did imho, not asking tech support. The new Waldorf Edition has been discussed at length here already with many people pointing out all kind of problems with it. Also Ingonator is here to forward all that stuff to Waldorf.

And of course OP is right. I upgraded yesterday and so far have been completely disappointed. Expect a bit of improvement in Attack, it is pretty much the same old Waldorf Edition only seems to be more unstable. No functional or sound quality improvements have been done. Even the GUI is not that much better. Very much underwhelming and disappointing release.
No signature here!

Ingonator
KVRAF
12522 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:36 pm

zxant wrote: 
I did the upgrade from Waldorf Edition v1 to v2. But as far as the PPG Wave 2.2V is concerned I really don't see the point! Apart from that awful, ugly new GUI they slapped on it, nothing seems changed!:

- the internal randomizer (Alt-AKKU) is still broken! All it does is resetting almost all parameters to zero! It also seems that everyone is ignoring this problem! :(

- then I tried using the PPG Wave 2.2V in 'Chainer' (I know it is ancient (so am I ;) ), but I like using it, because it has a great randomizer.

However, the PPG Wave 2.2V gives no sound when used in 'Chainer'! :(

The problem with the Random feature at PPG 2.V is known.

Concerning Chainer this is not a usual host for testing at Waldorf. If you mena this one i just downloaded the demo:
http://www.xlutop.com/html/downloads.html

If i see it correctly Chainer is also available as a plugin.
The latest installer seems to be from 2002 (at least for the demo) so it is very much likely that some newer plugins will not work properly.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:09 am, edited 8 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

masterhiggins
KVRAF
2704 posts since 31 Dec, 2004 from People's Republic of Minnesota

Post Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:43 pm

robotmonkey wrote:Even the GUI is not that much better. Very much underwhelming and disappointing release.
Better? It's hideous. The PPG looks like Akai designed it.

Ingonator
KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:35 am

Just checked the demo version of Chainer at Windows 7 64-bit. As already mentioned above at least the demo is from 2002 which must be around the time when the very first version of PPG Wave 2.V appeared (or even earlier).

I could confirm taht in the Standalone of Chainer the sound is muted and also with the Chainer Plugin in Live 9.1.7 32-bit. FWIW the same problem also seems to exist with other Waldorf plugins like e.g. Largo.

The i loaded an instance of PPG Wave 2.V into a Live 9 track and it played fine. After that i added the Chainer FX plugin (Chainer VST) to that track. So far when i load FXs like e.g. PSP NobleQ or the ERS Dim D Chorus there there sound stays muted.
Actually it is the same if i set the plugin in the Chainer VST (= Chainer FX plugin) to bypassed.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

ZeePok
KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:36 am

masterhiggins wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:Even the GUI is not that much better. Very much underwhelming and disappointing release.

Totally agree! It's cheap looking and waayy to dark!!

And for me its even worse. I suffer from migraine and I have to crank up my monitor to an uncomfortable level of brightness to be able to distinguish something on the GUI. And then, because of the ugly 'neon' effect, it's almost impossible for me to read the parameters in the 'Digi' and 'Mod' sections!! :(

@Ingonator: and what about the seemingly permanently broken randomize functionality?

Edit: FYI: I tried loading the PPG in the VST(i) plugin of Chainer using VSTHost but then I got no sound.

"Kids! Get off my lawn!"

Ingonator
KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:15 am

zxant wrote:
masterhiggins wrote:

Totally agree! It's cheap looking and waayy to dark!!

And for me its even worse. I suffer from migraine and I have to crank up my monitor to an uncomfortable level of brightness to be able to distinguish something on the GUI. And then, because of the ugly 'neon' effect, it's almost impossible for me to read the parameters in the 'Digi' and 'Mod' sections!! :(

@Ingonator: and what about the seemingly permanently broken randomize functionality?

Edit: FYI: I tried loading the PPG in the VST(i) plugin of Chainer using VSTHost but then I got no sound.

And what happens when loading the PPG plugin directly in VstHost? The latest versions of VstHost even support 64-bit and VST3 plugins.
Ingo Weidner

TrekStar
KVRian
1180 posts since 6 Jun, 2002 from Southern Germany

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:29 am

- well, well...chainer shouldn't be a subject of debate anymore, it's a given up outdated Piece of Software.

- but I agree that the "update" of the Waldorf Edition is disappointing. nothing really new in there aside from the gui. all in all not worth the even cheap 10 bucks upgrade fee.

:shrug:

Ingonator
KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:40 am

TrekStar wrote:- well, well...chainer shouldn't be a subject of debate anymore, it's a given up outdated Piece of Software.

- but I agree that the "update" of the Waldorf Edition is disappointing. nothing really new in there aside from the gui. all in all not worth the even cheap 10 bucks upgrade fee.

:shrug:
Biggest changes besides the GUIs are in Attack: A bunch of new Samples and additional new effects (v1 only had a Delay). In one instance you could use 6 effects at once, One for each audio output.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator
KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:09 am

For those who are interested based on my own tests here are combinations of Hosts and plugin formats where the Waldorf Edition 2 plugins seem to work (on Windows 7 64-bit SP1):

- Cubase 8.0.10 64-bit (VST2 + VST3, 32-bit VST2 with the built-in bridge)
- Cubase 7.5.40 64-bit (VST2 + VST3)
- Cubase 7.5.40 32-bit (VST2 + VST3)
- Live 9.1.7 64-bit (64-bit VST2)
- Live 9.1.7 32-bit (32-bit VST2)
- Studio One 2.6.5 64-bit (VST2 + VST3)
- Bitwig Studio 1.1.6 (VST2)
- Reaper 4.77 64-bit (VST2, 32-bit with built-in bridge)
- EnergyXT 2.7 (32-bit VST)
- Pro Tools HD 10.3.9 (32-bit AAX)
- Pro Tools HD 11.3.0 (64-bit AAX)
- VstHost 1.54 64-bit (VST2 + VST3)
- VstHost 1.54 32-bit (VST2 + VST3)
- Tobybear MiniHost (32-bit VST2)
- FL Studio 11.1.1 64-bit demo version (VST2 + VST3)
- Sonar X3 demo version (VST2 + VST3) - not installed at the moment

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator
KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:29 am

I would be happy if members would not start a new thread for every waldor fEdition 2 bug.
It would be nice if you could use one thread like this one:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=210
Ingo Weidner

planetearth
KVRAF
2073 posts since 10 Jul, 2006 from Tampa

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:53 am

zxant wrote: 
The main tester of Waldorf is also on this forum, so I hope that he finally takes notice ... !

robotmonkey wrote:It is perfectly ok to complain here about the problems with PPG. And this is what the op did imho, not asking tech support. The new Waldorf Edition has been discussed at length here already with many people pointing out all kind of problems with it. Also Ingonator is here to forward all that stuff to Waldorf.
Yes, but he is a "tester". Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but he is not Waldorf tech support, and he may have limited access to their internal information.

You can always complain about whatever you want here. That's a given. But it sounded to me like the OP was looking for some resolution. So, instead of waiting for someone to "forward all that stuff" to Waldorf, why not just contact them directly? You won't have to worry about someone else forwarding your issue (along with who knows how many others) and you won't have to wait for that one person to get a response back to you. Contact the developer yourself, and if you're upset with them (which is understandable, given what you're saying about the synth), take out some frustration on them!

As you can see, Ingonator has many Waldorf-related forums where he's trying to help. I was just suggesting that it may be considerably faster and more efficient to contact the developer directly. But regardless of what you do, I wish you luck in getting it resolved.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Ingonator
KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:00 am

planetearth wrote:
zxant wrote: 

robotmonkey wrote:It is perfectly ok to complain here about the problems with PPG. And this is what the op did imho, not asking tech support. The new Waldorf Edition has been discussed at length here already with many people pointing out all kind of problems with it. Also Ingonator is here to forward all that stuff to Waldorf.
Yes, but he is a "tester". Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but he is not Waldorf tech support, and he may have limited access to their internal information.

You can always complain about whatever you want here. That's a given. But it sounded to me like the OP was looking for some resolution. So, instead of waiting for someone to "forward all that stuff" to Waldorf, why not just contact them directly? You won't have to worry about someone else forwarding your issue (along with who knows how many others) and you won't have to wait for that one person to get a response back to you. Contact the developer yourself, and if you're upset with them (which is understandable, given what you're saying about the synth), take out some frustration on them!

As you can see, Ingonator has many Waldorf-related forums where he's trying to help. I was just suggesting that it may be considerably faster and more efficient to contact the developer directly. But regardless of what you do, I wish you luck in getting it resolved.

Steve
I am the waldorf Beta forum manager. I am responsible for the beta testers, testing myself, collecting bug reports from the testers and check those where possible. Finally i forward reports to the developer and discuss with him wher necessary (if possible send reports as a short step by step procedure).

Anyway usally customers should send bugs to official Waldorf support (this is not done by me) and they will forward those to me which i and/or the testers should check (ans/or send this to the developer).
Ingo Weidner

Return to “Instruments”