I need Monitors

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have come to the conclusion that for my mixes to be any good I really need a set of near fields. Although to be honest I havn't heard anything through a set of near fields in my life but my mixes appear to sound so different in other systems then i can only presume this is the answer.

Dan - what's your budget?

Yep, you'd be amazed at the difference a decent set of speakers will make! I am lucky enough to have recently started using some Quad Electrostatics (ESL 63's). My mixes have improved 10 fold!

Ya. start with how much you are willing to spend. I just got a pair of Mackie HR824's....very nice but I was very much in the same boat as you with the sound of my mixes...figured monitors would fix the mix..they'll help but they are not a cure all.

you should hear what some guys are acheiving for sound quality of their mixes on this forum with little more than computer speakers for monitors. Don't get me wrong...a nice set of monitors will help you seal the deal for a totally great mix but if your like me, you need to learn more about mixing first.

Just some thoughts...... :)

dano
"In a sky full of people, only some want to fly,
Isn’t that crazy?"

Yeah, that's true.

Anyone know anything about these:
KRK Rokit Powered 8 Monitors

8 inch cones.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

chagzuki wrote:Yeah, that's true.

8 inch cones.
I think they are only just released ........
there is a little blurb here >> http://www.millennium-music.biz/home/pr ... tegory_id=
The world was not given to you by your parents it is on loan from your children, respect !!!

Apparently good specs for the price.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

chagzuki wrote:Yeah, that's true.

8 inch cones.
KRK Have a good reputation, their prices went a little bit silly as the old one's ran out (silly bad not silly cheap).

My advice is to get to your local music store (Digital Village or whatever), phone ahead, take your own music and have a good listen to as many as possible. You'd be amazed how much you can gauge which one's you like when you can A/B them.

I do agree with the comment about monitors not being a magic answer... A mate of mine did an amazing guitar recording with one of those free computer mics and computer speakers. What he did have was a proper Martin guitar. Which is the point I can't stress enough, the key thing to any studio is the sound sources. No point you buying a pair of Adam speakers if you've got a cheapie soundcard, so look at your budget and try and match things up. A pair of Tannoys connected to a MOTU or RME card will do better than a pair of BM6's connected to a USB audio device.

Good luck in your choice!
blah blah blah... yadda yadda

how much you going to spend?

the best cheapest good monitor to me is
Alesis M1 active
But sadly eversince they moved their factory, the new ones don't sound as good as before

the real pro sounding and best value to my ears is Mackie HR824

but, sometimes it's good to get he yamaha's coz too many people own one of them, it will be easier to mix if you are running around~
http://www.myspace.com/dxlin
theres no right or wrong only like and dislike

I bought Behringer Truths, but was told by experts here that they're no good.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

I have Event 20/20 P's and I am happy with them. You can probably get a used pair at a reasonable price, as they have been discontinued. The mixes on them translate well to car stereo's, boom boxes, etc..
Play it by ear

If you don't want to spend much, I would get the Truths. Best value for the dollar in that price range...but as I said before, I opted for the HR824's because they are becoming somewhat an industry standard because they compare favorably to monitors 2 and 3 times the price and offer a very flexible configuration for various studio setups...a little more money but the quality merits it... and they can sound massive! :)

dano
"In a sky full of people, only some want to fly,
Isn’t that crazy?"

kevvvvv wrote:I bought Behringer Truths, but was told by experts here that they're no good.
They're ok.. as with all Behringer gear, it simply cannot be beaten on price... but you have to appreciate why it's so cheap.

If you need a gate, or 8 way headphone amp, you can't go wrong, but if you need a compressor that will not only be a tool, but add character to your recording... you probably need to look elsewhere...

The only question you have to ask yoursef is: are you happy with the Truths? People can be very snobby about gear, especially Behringer..
blah blah blah... yadda yadda

Would you believe that Altec Lansing makes a very loud and surprisingly accurate system? It's called the 621. It's a 2.1 system (100w RMS, 200 peak). I have had great success with these speakers and they're half the price of the cheapest monitors. If nothing else, get them as a second reference. I wouldn't have believed if anyone told me two years ago.

chromepete
The only question you have to ask yoursef is: are you happy with the Truths? People can be very snobby about gear, especially Behringer..
Since I only ever had hifi speakers before, the Truths are the best speakers I ever had in my life.

I'm like the virgin whose only ever had one lover, if that makes any sense :lol:
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”