Sundog 2.1: "pimp your chords" Sneak Preview + BETA

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sundog Song Studio

Hey everybody,

a new version of Sundog Scale Studio is coming soon, time for the BETA :party:

After the big 2.0 release I collected all the feedback that came in via mails and KVR threads. Thanks so much for all your ideas, wishes, and concepts :tu: :clap:
I did my best to put a lot of that feedback into the next release - while keeping the original "easy to use" workflow :wink:

For those of you who don't know Sundog Scale Studio yet:
Sundog is a specialized standalone software for electronic songwriting (Win + Mac). It will help you to get rid of writer's block, find great chord progressions faster than ever, and develop basslines, arps, and melodies quickly. Sundog works with any DAW via MIDI.
Sundog is suitable both for novices (no music theory needed, work with your ears to find the good stuff) and advanced users (check out Chord Mods and Own Chords in 2.1).

This will be new in 2.1:
  • Invert chords up/down with up/down arrows
  • Transpose chords one octave up/down with page up/down keys (Mac: Fn + up/down)
  • Move chord progression left/right (Ctrl/Cmd + L/R)
  • Insert/delete chord slots in chord progression
  • Windows: High-DPI display support
  • Set the user interface size in the settings (default: automatic detection)
  • Works for smaller displays as well now
  • Bugfix: Click on Full Chords pad in old editor didn't work anymore
  • Click on timeline position to trigger playback
  • Always on top option
  • Lock chord progression to prevent accidental changes (press L in chords view)
  • Chord Mods: Create own voicings (open chords, inversions, add9 etc)
  • Create and collect own chords per song part (and trigger them with your keyboard)
  • Scroll left/right in editor with slider
  • Toggle bigger input editor (click on the arrow-icon or press T)
(Undo/redo is high on my list as well. But I will have to dedicate an own version to that)

A first short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mk4Yakbm3o

Please note: If you load an old Sundog song and then save it with the new version, you won't be able to load it again with Sundog 2.0.

Click here to download the BETA:
http://feelyoursound.com/public-beta-sundog/ (Windows, Mac OS X)

I wish you a lot of fun with the beta! Happy testing :)!

Cheers,
Hauke of http://feelyoursound.com
Songwriting software: Sundog Song Studio (standalone) | MelodicFlow (plug-in) | ChordPotion (plug-in) | XotoPad (Windows touch app)

Great news! Can't wait to try it out when I get home from work ;)

Reefius: Great :)! Thanks for testing :band:
Songwriting software: Sundog Song Studio (standalone) | MelodicFlow (plug-in) | ChordPotion (plug-in) | XotoPad (Windows touch app)

yepp great, displaying other chords than the selected one (/playing them without changing the selected just for comparing) with different color when other chord cells are hovered

would be useful IMO
Last edited by xbitz on Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote:yepp great, displaying other chords than the selected one (/playing them without changing the selected just for comparing) on the piano with different color (and with some opacity) on hovering other chord cells would be nice

Thanks, interesting idea :)!

Yes playable custom chords and a bunch more!!! This is Great!

Windows 8 - I'm getting double notes on some of the chords being played back by midi keyboard, its not all notes but its the same notes within the chord every time.

Roc77 wrote:Yes playable custom chords and a bunch more!!! This is Great!

Windows 8 - I'm getting double notes on some of the chords being played back by midi keyboard, its not all notes but its the same notes within the chord every time.
Hmmm.. interesting. Can you tell me what you do to get these double notes?
  • Are you on the Own Chords page or on the standard chords page?
  • Can you tell me an example chord which shows this behaviour?
Maybe you can also send me a *.sng-file via mail, so that I can take a look at it:
http://www.feelyoursound.com/contact/

Thanks for reporting :)!

Cheers,
Hauke

It looks very useful, but you really need to start making your buttons look like BUTTONS, and not use this stupid 'flat, modern' look, that all the idiots on the internet are using nowadays... I don't want to have to constantly guess whether something is a button, or just a representation of information...

Awesome Hauke! thx a lot..

basslinemaster wrote:It looks very useful, but you really need to start making your buttons look like BUTTONS, and not use this stupid 'flat, modern' look, that all the idiots on the internet are using nowadays... I don't want to have to constantly guess whether something is a button, or just a representation of information...
I will think about that. But actually I like flat designs ;).
Suloo wrote:Awesome Hauke! thx a lot..
:party: :tu:

hauke wrote: I will think about that. But actually I like flat designs ;).
Maybe you can do a separate skin, with buttons? I think flat design is bad design, buttons should always be clearly buttons - it's easy for a programmer to know what is what in his own program, but everybody else has to guess much of the time. I appreciate you being willing to think about it, I like your program, but the interface isn't easy for me to use.

hauke wrote:

Maybe you can also send me a *.sng-file via mail, so that I can take a look at it:

Cheers,
Hauke
Just thinking: Maybe you use your MIDI keyboard both in your DAW and in Sundog? What happens when you press a key on the keyboard (1, 2, ..., 9)? Does Sundog play the additional note as well then?

Best regards,
Hauke

Good work Hauke :tu:

Going thru the beta right now and getting a feel for the workflow.

<post edited to delete a not so well thought out suggestion>

hauke wrote:
hauke wrote:

Cheers,
Hauke
Just thinking: Maybe you use your MIDI keyboard both in your DAW and in Sundog? What happens when you press a key on the keyboard (1, 2, ..., 9)? Does Sundog play the additional note as well then?

Best regards,
Hauke
It works flawlessly using the computer keyboard. Must be a midi issue on my end. Thank you so very much for this wonderful music application!!! Cheers to you!!! :tu:

Roc77 wrote: It works flawlessly using the computer keyboard. Must be a midi issue on my end. Thank you so very much for this wonderful music application!!! Cheers to you!!! :tu:
UncleAge wrote:Good work Hauke :tu:

Going thru the beta right now and getting a feel for the workflow.

<post edited to delete a not so well thought out suggestion>
I am very happy to hear that :) :party:
Thanks a bunch for your nice feedback and for testing!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”