Cubase or Logic ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13 Logic Pro

Hi everyone,
I start getting fed up with Logic being really buggy - for those who are working on it, I'm talking about the automation delay, bugs when renaming imported mixer tracks, "wheel of death" crashes, etc - and I am seriously thinking about changing the DAW I work with.
I tend to believe that a "historical" DAW will be better (compared to new ones that may lack some functions), so I am considering switching to Cubase. But I'd like to get a little information about it first.
- Is it actually more stable than Logic ? Are there many bugs ?
- Is there a way to use both 32 and 64-Bit plugins at the same time ? I'm still working with Vanguard, Sylenth, etc.
- Do old Cubase versions run on the latest OS X ? If I buy Cubase 8, I'd like to be able to update to El Capitan and 10.12 without having to buy a 600 € Cubase update.
- I've heard that Cubase was limited to 8 effects per mixer channel. That's on old versions like cubase 3 or 4, right ? Not on the latest version !
- Are built in effects and instruments good ? Better than in Logic ?
- Are there any other things I should know about cubase ?
Thanks in advance.

Edit : when I ask whether Cubase is buggy or not, I mean on big projects, like 300 tracks.

Studio One could fit you more than Cubase going from Logic :tu: or not, I always felt S1 kinda looks like Logic in some way and kinda is Cubase deep down...

Passing Bye wrote:Studio One could fit you more than Cubase going from Logic :tu: or not, I always felt S1 kinda looks like Logic in some way and kinda is Cubase deep down...
What makes S1 like Logic ?
As I said I tend to believe that an old DAW will have more functions, but I might try on of the recent ones...

djeos546 wrote: What makes S1 like Logic ?
Look at it :lol:

Passing Bye wrote:
Oh just the interface. Okok :p
Actually I thought you meant it had similar functions etc. And btw it looks like old logic versions, not the latest.

djeos546 wrote:
Passing Bye wrote:
Oh just the interface. Okok :p
Actually I thought you meant it had similar functions etc. And btw it looks like old logic versions, not the latest.
Yeah, at least S1 v2 and Logic 9, new Logic is looking like freaking Garageband :lol:

Passing Bye wrote:
djeos546 wrote:
Passing Bye wrote:
djeos546 wrote:Yeah, at least S1 v2 and Logic 9, new Logic is looking like freaking Garageband :lol:
Not that much actually. I mean it looks like GB, but it works the same (better) as Logic 9.

djeos546 wrote:
Passing Bye wrote:
djeos546 wrote:
Passing Bye wrote:
djeos546 wrote:Yeah, at least S1 v2 and Logic 9, new Logic is looking like freaking Garageband :lol:
Not that much actually. I mean it looks like GB, but it works the same (better) as Logic 9.
Yeah, they finally fixed the bugs after half decade :lol: but there's new ones, right :lol:

Passing Bye wrote:Yeah, they finally fixed the bugs after half decade :lol: but there's new ones, right :lol:
Actually no those bugs aren't new. The automation one dates back to Logic 6 I think... And that's why I'm thinking about switching to Cubase.

It is limited to 8. Do you really need more? You can always bus that track to a group and you'll have 8 more. As far as instruments and effects? Pretty great in my opinion. If I didn't have any 3rd party plugins right now I would be very happy just using the built in plugins. Cubase is pretty stable over here for me but like with all the things, some people will have issues and some people won't. I've seen people around various forums say they have no issues running huge projects like that but I personally wouldn't be able to tell you and since I'm on windows I can't really give any insight about OSX.

ckam03 wrote:It is limited to 8. Do you really need more? You can always bus that track to a group and you'll have 8 more. As far as instruments and effects? Pretty great in my opinion. If I didn't have any 3rd party plugins right now I would be very happy just using the built in plugins. Cubase is pretty stable over here for me but like with all the things, some people will have issues and some people won't. I've seen people around various forums say they have no issues running huge projects like that but I personally wouldn't be able to tell you and since I'm on windows I can't really give any insight about OSX.
Thanks for ur answer ! ;)

I need more sometimes, especially for my kicks... Multiple layers, something like 20 FX on each. And I never export it in case I want to change something later (the kick is one of the first things I make).
Is there a way to route an instrument to a bus track and just a bus track ? I mean, without the group thing ? If I can have any FXs as I want by routing bus tracks to bus tracks then it's OK for me...
What size are your projects ? About 300 tracks like my ones, or less ? Logic only gets buggy with a high amount of instruments.

djeos546 wrote:
Passing Bye wrote:Yeah, they finally fixed the bugs after half decade :lol: but there's new ones, right :lol:
Actually no those bugs aren't new. The automation one dates back to Logic 6 I think... And that's why I'm thinking about switching to Cubase.
I was only using 9, so I believe you :wink:

I don't think grass is greener there, not personal experience, but from hanging around and reading random stuff and seeing people fed up with it, but who knows, yeah, it's safest bet and 8 is proper big update from who knows when back, so you just might catch Cubase train and have good ride right now, have a feeling it's pointless even recommending Reaper, but gonna throw it in there too 8)

Passing Bye wrote:I was only using 9, so I believe you :wink:
I don't think grass is greener there, not personal experience, but from hanging around and reading random stuff and seeing people fed up with it, but who knows, yeah, it's safest bet and 8 is proper big update from who knows when back, so you just might catch Cubase train and have good ride right now, have a feeling it's pointless even recommending Reaper, but gonna throw it in there too 8)
Reaper ? A friend of mine tried it, didn't work. It's good for small projects, etc, but it can't handle a huge Uplifting Trance project like I do.

djeos546 wrote:
ckam03 wrote:It is limited to 8. Do you really need more? You can always bus that track to a group and you'll have 8 more. As far as instruments and effects? Pretty great in my opinion. If I didn't have any 3rd party plugins right now I would be very happy just using the built in plugins. Cubase is pretty stable over here for me but like with all the things, some people will have issues and some people won't. I've seen people around various forums say they have no issues running huge projects like that but I personally wouldn't be able to tell you and since I'm on windows I can't really give any insight about OSX.
Thanks for ur answer ! ;)

I need more sometimes, especially for my kicks... Multiple layers, something like 20 FX on each. And I never export it in case I want to change something later (the kick is one of the first things I make).
Is there a way to route an instrument to a bus track and just a bus track ? I mean, without the group thing ? If I can have any FXs as I want by routing bus tracks to bus tracks then it's OK for me...
What size are your projects ? About 300 tracks like my ones, or less ? Logic only gets buggy with a high amount of instruments.
I don't get anywhere near 300 so I can't say but thats why i was saying I've seen people say Cubase runs great for them when they get up that high. Yeah you could do it without using groups. It was just the first thing that popped up in my head. You could also use the FX channels which would be the "bus" routing that you want.

ckam03 wrote: I don't get anywhere near 300 so I can't say but thats why i was saying I've seen people say Cubase runs great for them when they get up that high. Yeah you could do it without using groups. It was just the first thing that popped up in my head. You could also use the FX channels which would be the "bus" routing that you want.
Perfect ! Is there a limited number of FX channels (I might wanna chain them...) ?
Is it possible to put an instrument routed into FX channels into a group ? (that would be an improvement compared to logic !)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”