Bass station 2

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bass Station

How good is it really? It's dirt cheap, though I'm aiming to buy pulse 2 from waldorf (this I'll buy anyway). But the question now is that is BS2 worth getting? On paper it seems great, every review I've read about it praise it, but the vids at youtube.. It sucks. I've tried to look through stores if I could test one but since I obviously live outside from civilized world, it's not possible.

So user comments, songs and vids where BS2 is in hard use are welcome :)

It's a great synth, especially at that price. It offers an absolute ton of functionality at that price point. I had one for a while, but eventually got rid of it. IMO, the sounds I was getting out of it weren't different enough from the sounds I could get from soft synths - and that may be just me. I don't know how it compares sound-wise to the pulse 2, but I think it's a helluva synth that just didn't happen to vibe with me. Even though I got rid of mine, I still almost always recommend it as either a first synth or lower-priced synth.

i bought the Pulse II and the BassStation II on the same day actually… it wasn't long before i sold the Pulse II, not because i didn't like the sound, mainly because of the editing limitations, and the silly smooth metal knobs.
The BassStation II is quite versatile, and although the envelopes aren't much to write home about, and despite the similar 'bank' style editing, it's handy as a MIDI controller and a USB powered analog synth :P makes some ball tearing sounds with the distortion and filter FM. I think just more fun to have more hands on :)

That's really weird to me that practically everyone that has used it, says that how great it is but still most of them have sold it :D And I really can't find any proper vids about it where someone would build a complete song with it.

I've got both the Pulse 2 and Bass Station 2.

I think they are both very good, but if you're listening to on line demos of the BSII and you think they all suck, well then I'd pass on it. I like the character of that screamy little filter, but perhaps you don't. It's kind of Rolandish, but harsher.

I'll probably sell the BSII anyway though. Why? Well, it's taking up space on my desk and between the Pulse 2 and my ATC-X QFS, (which has a great 303 style filter). Nothing wrong with the BSII, I'm just trying to trim down and I've got a bit of overlap.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:if you're listening to on line demos of the BSII and you think they all suck, well then I'd pass on it.
I found one clip from soundcloud at novations page. That's the only clip where it really sounds good (That clip actually made me think that I should get it). Youtube vids are practically all where people have saw, sub -2 and filter fully open and then they "jam" with it :P Of course some vids have some setups where bs2 is part of bigger system playing something but one can't really tell what part :D

So what I'm really missing is some more "pro" videos about people who really know how to tickle the beast out from it instead "I just unboxed this and made a jam vid".

I never tried it out myself, but afaic, the hype around it pretty quickly vanished around here. Dunno if that really has to do with the quality of the synth, or the fact that it isn't new anymore. But i'd agree with zerocrossing, if none or most of the videos don't turn you on, i'd refrain from buying it. Does it have to be an analog synth? If you like the Waldorf sound, i'd consider a Blofeld for even less money. Should be great bang for the buck.

chk071 wrote:...turn you on...Blofeld...
Like I said earlier, I haven't encountered a video where it'd be used by a "pro" or the way I'd use it..

Anyways.. I thought that I'd still get it since it's cheap and it's.. Analog. And the best thing is that it most propably won't lose much of it's value even if I decide to sell it :P

And when it comes to Waldorf sound, I love it. Like "turn you on" love it. I really love it. Even when playing with rocket, I'm so turned on that I'm not sure should I be touching the synth or myself :hyper: As mentioned earlier, pulse 2 is also on my "things to buy" -list but so is blofeld :)

Though that list is also contains modular system and elektron boxes so it may take a while to get all from that list :D

So BS2 is a nice start since I don't have an analog synth yet.

Lejurai wrote:
chk071 wrote:...turn you on...Blofeld...
Like I said earlier, I haven't encountered a video where it'd be used by a "pro" or the way I'd use it..

Anyways.. I thought that I'd still get it since it's cheap and it's.. Analog. And the best thing is that it most propably won't lose much of it's value even if I decide to sell it :P

And when it comes to Waldorf sound, I love it. Like "turn you on" love it. I really love it. Even when playing with rocket, I'm so turned on that I'm not sure should I be touching the synth or myself :hyper: As mentioned earlier, pulse 2 is also on my "things to buy" -list but so is blofeld :)

Though that list is also contains modular system and elektron boxes so it may take a while to get all from that list :D

So BS2 is a nice start since I don't have an analog synth yet.
Well, if this helps, I used to recommend the MoPho to people who wanted to start out with an analog mono, but now I recommend the BS2.

It's got a nice selection of different sounding filters. The gain structure is pretty touchy and they're easy to overdrive so they can be pretty screamy if you've got the levels up and a healthy portion of resonance, but it can sound smooth and round. The oscs sound good. The distortion is nice. The controls feel good and are laid out well. The keyboard feels great and has aftertouch.

If you're still on the fence about it, just buy one used and if you decide to sell it you can get most of your money back and lose only shipping and eBay fees (if you use eBay). PM me if you're interested... I've been considering selling mine to make space.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Thank you for your offering (and info) but I like my gear new. There's something in virgins you know :D Besides it's only 359e new :)

Pulse 2 sounds far more powerful than BS2. I'd say the BS2 can fit into a track easier than the Pulse but that might be me. The Bass station has a much smoother tone, reminds me a lot of Sh101 at times and I wouldn't say it has a real fat or punchy bass sound either but overall its a nice little controller keyboard and fun to use and well worth the £230 I paid.

Wouldn't say its miles better than a good software plugin but to be honest if you bought one second hand then you can always get all your money back if its not for you so its not even worth questioning whether its worth buying any of this kit nowadays, just do it and get some use out of it.

grabme wrote:The Bass station has a much smoother tone, reminds me a lot of Sh101 at times
someone said before "sh101 on steroids"
grabme wrote:and I wouldn't say it has a real fat or punchy bass sound either but overall its a nice little controller keyboard and fun to use and well worth the £230 I paid.
It can do fat basses on classic filter. I also think that proper compressor can add punch to anything.
Murderous duck!

I had a Bass Station 2, quite liked it, nice layout, plenty of hands on control, nice sound, keys are not bad.

I too sold mine though. At the time I found the Volca Bass satisfied my needs for a mono and it had a better sequencer and took up less space (that I was short on at the time). I would recommend the Bass Station 2 though. For the price its a bargain.

sqigls wrote:I think just more fun to have more hands on :)
That's one of the reasons why I'd want one.

grabme wrote:I'd say the BS2 can fit into a track easier
That's one reason too for why I've been looking for BS2. Something to handle the workhorse part when other synth(s) do the impressive parts :D

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”