Shinyguitar - free archtop guitar out now

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Shinyguitar

It's ready, grab it here: http://www.karoryfer.com/karoryfer-samp ... hinyguitar

A library I've just finished for Sforzando, samples of my archtop guitar with blendable pickup and mic signals and a nice GUI with knobs. Four round robins and four velocity layers sampled every minor third. It all adds up to over 800 samples total.

Here's a small demo. The percussion sounds are the same guitar, too - I recorded a few samples of thumping various parts of the body, and also muted plucks and strums. The melody is using the pickup signal, and the chords are mostly mic with a bit of pickup blended in.

https://soundcloud.com/karoryfersamples ... hinyguitar
Last edited by DSmolken on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nice one :tu:

Free soundfont? Awesome.

Nice. :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

arkmabat wrote:Free soundfont? Awesome.
Free, yes! Technically not a soundfont - WAV files and SFZ mappings, plus XML to define the interface graphics. The XML functionality and interface graphics support in Sforzando is normally only for commercial releases, but Plogue are willing to do it for some free libraries, and they've also been very helpful with feedback and technical help on this library as well.

Sounds great, I'm looking forward to trying it.
HPZ2 i9 32RAM, Macbook Pro M1, Studio One, FL, Ableton, Sibelius, BIAB

A nice one :tu:
following :-)

Sounds good. I've always wanted a digital archtop guitar ever since I found out they existed... today. It's cool that Plogue is willing to help you out. A Kontakt instrument maker that hasn't paid their fees could go naked in front of Native Instrument's headquarters wearing a sign begging for help and not get noticed.

bigcat1969 wrote:A Kontakt instrument maker that hasn't paid their fees could go naked in front of Native Instrument's headquarters wearing a sign begging for help and not get noticed.
Well, let's face it - most sample developers, Kontakt or otherwise, just don't look all that hot naked.

Now published: http://www.karoryfer.com/karoryfer-samp ... hinyguitar

Download it, play with it, have fun!

I know there's also a commercial archtop guitar library by Impact Soundworks, but there really aren't a whole lot of archtop guitar samples out there. I'm planning to record samples for a fretless guitar library on Friday, and its owner also has an Epiphone archtop that she installed some fancy high-end neck pickup in. So depending on how long the fretless takes, we might record more archtop samples too.

... hinyguitar???

:hihi:

Thank you :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

You've done a great job here DSmolken! And I must say that Sforzando looks so much nicer and is much more appealing with a GUI instead of the generic controls :)

Thanks for this and your previous efforts as well.

If I may ask: what's the advantage of sampling "only" every minor third compared to sampling every note?
Would it be benficial to have less round robins or maybe only 3 instead of 4 velocity layers, but every note sampled instead, or would the result still be too large?

Just asking out of curiosity, I really would like to do some instrument-sampling myself eventually.

Izak Synthiemental wrote:Thanks for this and your previous efforts as well.

If I may ask: what's the advantage of sampling "only" every minor third compared to sampling every note?
Would it be benficial to have less round robins or maybe only 3 instead of 4 velocity layers, but every note sampled instead, or would the result still be too large?

Just asking out of curiosity, I really would like to do some instrument-sampling myself eventually.
Sampling every note would be three times as many samples. It would sound more realistic, since different notes resonate differently, but I wouldn't want to give up velocity layers or round robins for it. I'll probably do it someday for a future instrument and just deal with having more samples. I don't really care that much about maximum realism (if I wanted that, I could just play the instrument the old-fashioned way instead of sampling it), but it would also give me more flexibility when creating multi-voice mappings, since I'd have a whole lot more samples available.

It depends on the instrument, too. If you're doing metal guitar, you probably don't need a whole lot of velocity layers (but might need more articulations). Piano doesn't need a lot of round robins.
Aloysius wrote:... hinyguitar???

:hihi:

Thank you :)
If I ever get a hold of one of those huge Larson Brothers guitars with the 20" or 21" lower bout, this will be an excellent name for that library.
Last edited by DSmolken on Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”