Phase Scope / Phase Meter in Izotope Ozone 5 Advanced

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ozone 8 Standard

hey guys,
can anyone tell me how the Phase Scope in Izotope Ozone 5 Advanced should look like for a good mastered Track with a wide stereo field ? (Genre: House, Progressive House)
Is it right, that I can see if there is Phase Cancelling in my Track ?

Downloaded the Demo of Ozone, so this Plugin is totally new for me.
Thanks for your help

In simple words: Upper part is "in phase" as long as it goes to these two 45 degree lines. Below on left and right side is signal "out of phase".
Perfectly signal should be in upper part but I never ended without out of phase spikes. Well not that much like on this picture ;)

Read this article prepared by iZotope for more details.
Page 40: Stereo Imaging
Page 47: Meters - Spectrogram

https://www.izotope.com/en/support/supp ... es/ozone-6

Definitelly there's a lot wrong in here. This graph should be continuous. In this situation some of your instruments will phase-cancel completely.

Also, rule of a thumb - sub / kick should be mono, higher bands should get progressively wider.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Ha, yeah man +1 in phase, -1 totally out of phase.

Visual tools are great, but try listening to your final summing bus in mono and listen for instruments/parts dropping out. Based on that phase diagram I'm sure you have some parts that will disappear from the mix entirely if you were to run the master bus in mono.

However... a lot of super techy producers are making albums of music nowadays with the headphone listener in mind. I've listened to plenty of amazing productions that when I play them back in a mono setting they sound really bad. Sometimes you can find a mix that's made for a club that is more mono-friendly.

Like previous poster said, keep the low-end in mono and experiment with more stereo width in the high-end. You'll find it!

Return to “Production Techniques”