Trilian, Zebra 2 or Serum?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Serum Trilian Zebra

Hi!
I've got omnisphere 2 and it's great, though i didn't explore all possibilities and it's a little difficult to program it. I want to buy another synth that will supplement Omni 2.

I like different styles of music. Mainly i want to cover - cinematic, pop rock, idm, minimal, glitch, maybe a little edm.

So i ask experienced users which one i should take?

So do i need Serum or Zebra 2? Or trillian with omni 2 is enough?
I tried demo of Zebra 2 and Serum and it's easy to program it. But maybe omni 2 cover Zebra-Serum area?

What DAW? Anyway, with O2 and your DAW's instruments (if it's a good one like Logic or Live) you really don't need any other synth - technically. O2 is not really difficult to program, on the contrary, it's one of the most accessible synth/samplers you can get.

Maybe a new synth can inspire you and boost your creativity, but the first and foremost advice I'd give would be to master the stuff you have - and you can do anything with it, "cinematic, pop rock, idm, minimal, glitch, maybe a little edm", no problem. You are making the music, not the tools.

I would definitely choose Zebra 2. It sounds great and it's with very good cpu usage. I don't have it, but I demoed many times and it was in my list to buy (still feel itchy GAS from time to time about it!).

Trilian is only a bass instrument, right? I don't know really, but for me I can find good basses easily in synths or samples. It would be enough of course with Omnisphere but the point of Zebra 2 is to cover many grounds without a cpu hit, then you can put that killer pad or sound from omnisphere.

Zebra 2 also is a semi modular, so it can be as simple or as complex as you want ... Damn! I feel strong GAS while writing this! Anyway, I never heard someone felt sorry for buying Zebra! So, do it buy it ;)

My DAW is Ableton. So i thought maybe operator+analog+tension+collision+electric covers Zebra's ground? But i don't have enough experience. From one side if i'll add trilian analog synths to omni 2 it'll become more powerful, from other side omni 2 for seems very cumbersome and it's nice to have maybe more little and fast synth to do work around omni 2. What do you think?

Suite has everything you need, especially when you consider having Max4Live.

Of course Zebra is a nice and powerful shortcut for complex sounds which you have to build in Live with different instruments/effect/Max4live chains.

But with Zebra you cannot go wrong.

So, you have Live Suite then.

The AAS synths are great really and they can cover a lot, but Zebra can cover more IMO and you can delve deep into programming it. It also has so many sounds in its library.

Anyway, it depends on what genre of music you mainly will write to. You have written many kinds! But if you will do dubstep, then you need Serum more than Zebra.
Dance music (house ..etc), needs a 'general purpose' synth like Zebra mostly, but you can still do with Live's instruments only of course. It is just Zebra has a very nice interface and design. It also has a great sound (pads/bass/leads ..everything really).
For movies and atmosphere, you can use anything really, but Omnisphere and Zebra would give you lush results ;)

Actually I don't have any one that you have mentioned! But, I had Live with all Ableton's instruments (Suit 8 + Standard 9) and I liked a lot AAS synths. I demoed Zebra and Serum. I liked Zebra a lot but I can't say the same for Serum. Anyway, I believe Zebra is a good investment because it is under continuous development and the developer is a humble guy and helpful. I think also Zebra 3 will be free upgrade for those who own Zebra 2? not sure really,but it is very possible. [Edit] Free for those who have Dark Zebra [/Edit] The price (Is it still discounted if you provide a dinosaur thing?) is fair, not cheap but not expensive either.

omnisphere would proabably be enough to cover most of your needs, zebra and serum are also great, it would be hard to choose between these , both are really great softwares, demo and see which one you enjoy best.

lately i have using them both a lot for soundscape, sfx, atmo..as well as mpowersynth, for these sound i think it's where i enjoy the most programing zebra , it's where it really shine for me, serum is also great at this, i would say if i look for a warmer caractere i use zebra, if i want somthing more cold i use serum and if i want in between mpowersynth is reall great.. it strike a good balance between warmth and detailed sound and the sound can be pristine. ( these all have great modulation/ modularity so a other simplistic way to choose is if i need the zebra combs and fm part i will use zebra, if i need the osc of serum i use serum, if i don't need these i use mpowersynth that have my favorite caractere and also not lacking in features from the osc to the fxs section, but the modulation part is more tricky )
Last edited by Synthetic Wav on Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

For bass Trilian is irreplaceable for me and I'm a bass player. But your question is not really apples to apples.
Mac Studio Ultra, 64ram, 4tb+<4tb Samsung850-860evo ssd's in TB3 Akitio Enclosure> UAD Apollo x6-tb3/Yamaha2050/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins/Komplete S61Mk2} latest OSX

I own Zebra2 and Dark Zebra.. I compose/record ambient, dark ambient, cinematic and soundscapes and I don't think there's a track I've published in the last six months without an instance (or two) of Zebra2. There are a fair amount of dance/edm baks for it, like:

http://www.loopmasters.com/genres/95-ED ... -2-Presets

http://sounds.beatport.com/pack/house-o ... bra-2/7045

:hihi:
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

Go with zebra.

The instruments in Ableton are great but damn those little interfaces.

Plus I think it will just be liberating to be in the habit of going to one synth for any sound you could want , instead of having to flip between 6 or whatever.

Serum, serum or serum, that looks like to me

There is a Zebra forum here, a great Zebra presets collection, and lots of videos
to help with sound design. The interface is scalable, uncluttered, and easy on
the eyes. The pricing certainly can't be argued against.

Most competitors fail at three or more of those benefits!
Cheers

Dune 2 would be a good choice as well. Especially for big sounding 'cinematic' pads, but also edm and the other styles you mentioned.

I would go with Zebra :tu:
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

While i would recommend Zebra also, if you find Omnisphere difficult to program you may struggle with Zebra, its incredibly deep but perhaps not as instantly accessible as Serum.

Return to “Instruments”