Opinions on Trash 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anybody who has used Trash 2, I'm interested in hearing your opinions on it.

Specifically, can it do gentle saturation/overdrive in a musically pleasing way?
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote:....in a musically pleasing way?
Great question, I wonder the same about all the Trash modules.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

yes it can (IMO), but this is highly subjective.

More opinions:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... it=trash+2

elxsound wrote:yes it can (IMO), but this is highly subjective.
More opinions:
That thread is mostly kvretching about iZotope and chat on Trash discounts. The only post describing Trash's potential musicality is
Sampleconstruct wrote:Trash 2 is great, probably the waveshaper with the most precise control around, in combination with the onboard multiband danymics section it's a swiss army knife for waveshaping/distortion. I don't care so much about the rest although the vocal filter has a really unique sound too, the convolution unit only allows for IRs up to a certain length/size so I never really use it and there are many better options available.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

for distortion it is wonderful, as in, for noticeable distortion. I am not a huge fan of it for creating subtle saturation.

However it is one of those things I will always keep because it has a couple of things i love. A filter that can be automated via lfo's VERY easily, and to do vocal sweep effects, as well as a brilliant tape delay.

It's so much fun to automate the feedback of the tape delay, and to move the delay time slider around :)

Thanks for the infos, folks. I ask because I sometimes can't hear the difference between so-called digital- vs. so-called analog-sounding distortion. E.g. I recently got Slyfi plugins on some strong recommendations regarding their analog sounding saturation/distortion. They sound really good to me, but when pushed hard they distort in ways which make me think, "I could get that with Ohmicide", which isn't know as an analog emulation. Maybe it's just my tin ears. :D

Michael L wrote:
elxsound wrote:yes it can (IMO), but this is highly subjective.
More opinions:
That thread is mostly kvretching about iZotope and chat on Trash discounts. The only post describing Trash's potential musicality is
Sampleconstruct wrote:Trash 2 is great, probably the waveshaper with the most precise control around, in combination with the onboard multiband danymics section it's a swiss army knife for waveshaping/distortion. I don't care so much about the rest although the vocal filter has a really unique sound too, the convolution unit only allows for IRs up to a certain length/size so I never really use it and there are many better options available.
You meant thats the only post on page 1. :dog:

elxsound wrote:You meant thats the only post on page 1.
Sorry, I read too fast! Here is the other one:
elxsound wrote:The modulation node system could be more robust, but being able to define target frequency is a nice touch.
I love that you can change signal flow, which is something that was not immediately apparent to me because I didn't expect "graph" to open the signal flow chain, but I'm just glad its there and that it is easy to use.
Initially I didn't care for the delay module inside a distortion unit, but because you can set the delay to such small amounts, it is also a lovely addition for sound design within the unit allowing to freely switch from modulation style delay fx like phaser/chorus sounds to "traditional" repeated delay sounds.
As Simon mentioned earlier the vowel filters are quite nice.
Thanks. I gave Trash another try and IMO subtle waveshaping & choice of target frequency are the key way to get musically pleasing results.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Trash is the best sounding and most advanced distortion plugin out there. And I know cause I tried them all. It leaves Ohmicide and Maul for dead. Its very affordable now too.
You can dramatically transform any sound into something completely different, it has convolution and its especially good on supersaws and basses. Also good for gentle warming of anything.

Now, the problem with Trash: It doesn't work in protools. AAX only runs in small sessions. Big projects with 20+ audio tracks, it wont work. There is a bug that hasn't been fixed (and I tested it again recently). Why this is a problem? Well most people mix in protools - Trash works best as a post production tool. But if you want it to just beef up some tracks before you bounce them or you mix in Cubase or Ableton then no problems. As a protools user its a bit of a deal breaker atm to only use it for production.

Kinh wrote:Trash is the best sounding and most advanced distortion plugin out there. And I know cause I tried them all. It leaves Ohmicide and Maul for dead. Its very affordable now too.
You can dramatically transform any sound into something completely different, it has convolution and its especially good on supersaws and basses. Also good for gentle warming of anything.

Now, the problem with Trash: It doesn't work in protools. AAX only runs in small sessions. Big projects with 20+ audio tracks, it wont work. There is a bug that hasn't been fixed (and I tested it again recently). Why this is a problem? Well most people mix in protools - Trash works best as a post production tool. But if you want it to just beef up some tracks before you bounce them or you mix in Cubase or Ableton then no problems. As a protools user its a bit of a deal breaker atm to only use it for production.
Thanks, what settings would you recommend for gentle warming?

Plenty of presets that cover gentle saturation, and if you think anything in there is over the top there is a mix slider so you just mix a little in and your good. It's a awesome plugin for sure can do subtle and totally crazy distortion.
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

JerGoertz wrote:Anybody who has used Trash 2, I'm interested in hearing your opinions on it.

Specifically, can it do gentle saturation/overdrive in a musically pleasing way?
For distortion Trash is easily one of the best... Especially as medium to harsh stuff. But in terms of 'subtle' distortion or coloring it's probably not my first choice.

That said, if I ever wanted to do more subtle with it. I tend to use it as a send effect, or adjust the wet.

Great plugin! :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

JerGoertz wrote:
Kinh wrote:Trash is the best sounding and most advanced distortion plugin out there. And I know cause I tried them all. It leaves Ohmicide and Maul for dead. Its very affordable now too.

Thanks, what settings would you recommend for gentle warming?
It depends on what you're warming but you dont obviously use the main presets just engage 'Trash' and blend mix knob

I think it's great for a lot of things, not only complex waveshaping and distortion, but also vocal-type filtering, tempo-synced FX and more (to add to my statement quoted above from that other thread).

https://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/ ... xperiments

Kinh wrote:Trash is the best sounding and most advanced distortion plugin out there. And I know cause I tried them all. It leaves Ohmicide and Maul for dead.

How do you know it's the most advanced?
:borg:

Return to “Effects”