Opinions on Trash 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I checked a bunch of videos - they're all different. But they all prove Trash 2 is the best multi-FX ever :clap:

It's full-pimp dynamic EQ, distortion, convolution utility with dynamics taken from Ozone and extra delay. Every setting is right where it needs to be and it's useful. You can use it for subtle saturation, heavy distortion, complex modulation and mix/mastering.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:I checked a bunch of videos - they're all different. But they all prove Trash 2 is the best multi-FX ever :clap:

It's full-pimp dynamic EQ, distortion, convolution utility with dynamics taken from Ozone and extra delay. Every setting is right where it needs to be and it's useful. You can use it for subtle saturation, heavy distortion, complex modulation and mix/mastering.
Is it actually the dynamics from ozone? I've never used ozone personally.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

It doesn't have limiter and mid-side option, otherwise it looks identical to Ozone 5.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:
It doesn't have limiter and mid-side option, otherwise it looks identical to Ozone 5.
I ask because I wasn't very impressed by the compressor - it has the 'flattening' effect I associate with very old plugin compressors. The filter section is amazingly powerful - it's a full featured dynamic eq as well when you dig into it - sidechain per band too - amazing.

It does have a limiter on the output - it's pretty ghastly though.

The more I play with the demo the more I realise it's a collection of very mediocre parts wrapped in a good interface with above average control (sidechain/modulation etc.). When taken individually each part is very average imo.

do_androids_dream wrote:The more I play with the demo the more I realise it's a collection of very mediocre parts wrapped in a good interface with above average control (sidechain/modulation etc.). When taken individually each part is very average imo.
I demoed it as well and feel about the same. It's not bad per se, but imho if you already have a decent set of tools, it doesn't really add much. For me, not worth it.

I bought it for the wild distortion, not for the dynamics (somehow I never seem to like iZotope compressors included in their products) or delay sections. The convolver, the filters and the zero latency limiter are just a very nice bonus for me.

One thing that I hate is the 7 seconds it needs for an instance to load in Studio One. How fast does it load for you guys?

e@rs wrote:One thing that I hate is the 7 seconds it needs for an instance to load in Studio One. How fast does it load for you guys?
1-2 seconds for me. Bitwig. Windows 7.

Jumped on the deal because I have very few plug-ins (from my view anyway ;)) and nothing in the realm of distortion. I quite like the additional stuff it comes with, like the delay and the convolution part.

I'm on Win7 too. Any iLok on your machine?

e@rs wrote:I'm on Win7 too. Any iLok on your machine?
Nope.

If you want to compare it to something, the longest loading times I have with Analog Lab 2, but that also "loads" 17 instruments in the back and might check Arturia's Software Center every time and whatnot.

No Arturia here, but for the Trash 2 slow loading I suspect it's got something to do with iLok Manager 3. On my laptop with WinXP and no iLok it loads in 3 seconds.

Really useful quality plug in
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

I ended up caving!! DAMN IT!!

For several years now, I had it in my sights. Whenever it came on sale I somehow managed to convince myself that I didn't need it. I have other distortions, eqs I can use as filters, I can split sounds into multiple tracks to do a multiband style. There's all sorts of things I can do to effectively cover what Trash does.

Well I gave up didn't I!!. Ironically they will probably have a new version come out shortly.

Admittedly, it does open up a lot of creative sound design scope, thats the main reason why I got Trash in the end. I still have other options available to me, but at least Trash speeds up the workflow and offers a few new options to me that would be very hard to replicate using other plugins.

Trash 2 is an excellent distortion plugin, with additional modules including 2 filtering stages, dynamics, convolution, and delay. The quality and fine-tune control of its two-stage, multi-band waveshaping as well as its modularity are especially appealing to myself. Basically all the presets are junk and just over the top imho, but they do demonstrate its versatility. Some of my favorite controls are the modulated band controls for each filter and the wonky convolution IRs (where you can upload your own!). Truly an all-in-one plug-in that can fulfill a variety of needs. If you like Trash 2, you should also check at Alloy, and Stutter Edit if you are into glitchier stuff!

Yes it can, but its strength is in drama. If I want subtle overdrive then it's not necessarily the first thing I'd go to, but it certainly can do that kind of thing as well. I wouldn't say warmth is its thing so much as range. Many distortions only do a few different things, but Trash is capable of producing a ridiculous range of results out of just about any sound you feed it. I honestly don't know for sure what I'm going to come out with at the end of an investigation with Trash, and I love plugins like that.

I use it a lot to just get a sound to be tougher, without necessarily changing it all that much. For certain styles, it's become an instant first stop before I get into mixing, to make sure the sounds that need it get the solidity they need. It might sound foolish to lay into a sound right away like that but when you've wasted an hour trying everything else to make a sound work in a mix before finally resorting to Trash anyway, you eventually gravitate towards doing that quick job early for an easier life.
Last edited by Doubleclick on Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”