Minimonsta is 11 years old and it still sounds like the best VA to me.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Minimonsta Ohm Studio

Title kinda says it all. I've been using it so much again lately that I just felt like bringing it up here :)

Sure, stuff like DIVA has set a new bar in a lot of areas... but if I'm strictly looking for classic MOOG style sounds, I invariably load up Minimonsta. I've tried DIVA in pure-Minimoog mode, I've tried Arturia (hahaha), I've even tried using Omnisphere in pure synth mode (which it kicks ass at, for sure!) and yet, for the classic analog synth sound, Minimonsta still beats them all for me! Why? Character. The thing oozes it. Oh, I should mention, I really don't like Monark, I think it sounds brittle and obnoxious. These aren't scientific points, mind you, just opinions & strong feelings of Taste.... every time I program Minimonsta, it sounds like butter. It oozes this warm (yep I said it) character that I just can't coax out of the other mentioned synths, or anything else. It's ELEVEN years old and it's still my favorite analog emulation. Who knew?

/fanboygasm

-M

PS > I really want Gforce to make a new emulation! It's about time they tried their hand at..... THE XPANDER :P

if they just released this synth today everyone would be raving about it. But since it is "old" people don't talk about it much.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

its a good low cpu synth, however the filter doesn't quite sound moogy to me.

EDIT: i'm poking around with it now in unison mode and it sounds great for the low CPU hit. :tu:
Last edited by layzer on Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I always thought the oscillators were too dark and it sounded strange (probably what you're calling character). It's the one plugin I went through the trouble of selling.

I much prefer Monark and DIVA, but hey, different strokes for different folks.

I've owned that bad boy for about as long as it's been out, and I *love* the fact that it's a CPU-lightweight on my current machine, as compared to being a CPU-hog on the first machine on which I used it. :hihi:
A well-behaved signature.

I dont use it anymore, but i still think it is an awesome synth. The first vsti i used outside of fl stock plugins.
I digg that filter, and the dark tone, if you ask me.

Real hardware minimoogs don't all sound alike. If I remember right it's an emulation of a low serial numbered unit, like the one I learned on at Glasgow House (when I couldn't get time on the big Modular III). Sounds right to me.

With this thread you've reminded me to contact GMedia about getting my minimonsta installation up and running again. I miss it somethin' fierce. It doesn't scream like a bastard but it is a screaming mimi. Screaming mini. Something like that.

I still like the synth, but not the UI which is too small, so for that reason I don't reach for it often.

I've been on the fence on purchasing this synth. Listening to the demos I'll have to echo the statements saying that it does sound kinda dark, and it doesn't really sound like a moog to me, however I don't really see any of these as negatives as I do find Minimonsta to I guess sound more musical where as for others like "Diva" I'm just left cold for some odd reason.....

Does anyone know if GForce has any plans for Minimonsta 2?

Iris. A wrote:Does anyone know if GForce has any plans for Minimonsta 2?
NI already perfected the Model D with Monark.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Using Minimonsta in everything except wurly keys hit and strings in second half of this(4:58);
https://soundcloud.com/annode-1/annode- ... s-pts1and2
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

mholloway wrote: PS > I really want Gforce to make a new emulation! It's about time they tried their hand at..... THE XPANDER :P
It would be nice if they would fix and upgrade their existing stuff first
Murderous duck!

JerGoertz wrote:I've owned that bad boy for about as long as it's been out, and I *love* the fact that it's a CPU-lightweight on my current machine, as compared to being a CPU-hog on the first machine on which I used it. :hihi:
exactly...

...11 years makes an enormous difference CPU wise

It does sound dark but, it has those cool artist presets and the patch morphing.
The arturia synths were dark and mushy to until the first oberheim.

mholloway wrote: PS > I really want Gforce to make a new emulation! It's about time they tried their hand at..... THE XPANDER :P
It already exists
http://www.arturia.com/matrix-12-v/overview
ATS wrote:if they just released this synth today everyone would be raving about it. But since it is "old" people don't talk about it much.
Their Odyssey 2 is great, but Minimoog patch sheets that work well on the Minis from Arturia and Native Instruments, don't really work on Minimonsta.

Minimonsta's VCF was surpassed by Creamware's old DSP based Minimax and now NI's Monark for Reaktor 5/6. A Minimonsta II would have to introduce a new generation of modeling to be competitive but I don't think the softsyth market even needs another Minimoog or Arp Odyssey emulation.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Return to “Instruments”