Lumit - new multi-touch DAW to be released at NAMM

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Lumit

Link: http://www.lumit-audio.com/
Cost: $149.99.
The developer answered a few questions on THIS thread on reddit.

More competition is always a good thing. Not sure what it offers besides Bitwig or Imageline which seem to have a headstart in the multi-touch area.
My milkshake brings all the girls to the yard

http://soundcloud.com/the-boogee-man

Always interesting with new daws. It has clip view/session view functionality?

Looks interesting. You'd think they'd at least have a video showing it running.

Edit: The company rep walked right into the hornets nest with this one in that message chat...
Well, one thing that comes to mind right away is our "Freeze" tool. Lumit's "Freeze Tracks" dialogue makes rendering tracks easier than any other DAW. Rather than having to bus outputs to auxiliary tracks or export/import files, you can simply bring up the "Freeze" tool, select the tracks you wish to finalize, and render them to new tracks, WAV/MP3 files, or in place - with all edits and automation applied. It is the ideal tool for re-sampling, making stems, and reducing CPU usage.

Looks okay if your about that touch life but I have honestly never seen such a bad GUI. Prolly cause it's good for touch. Everything is so large.
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

they really need a better ui designer working on this

seems quite interesting, though

qtheerearranger wrote:Looks okay if your about that touch life but I have honestly never seen such a bad GUI. Prolly cause it's good for touch. Everything is so large.
Interesting, maybe touch screens will lead to better GUI's again as the contents of most conventional desktop GUI's are rather tiny.

Funny how a brand new DAW comes out of nowhere, never heard of that company before :) Looks very promising, have bookmarked their site...

The UI looks nice to me, mmv. Of course, you'd have to use it to get a feel for it but the design looks pretty slick to me.

Windows only; reminds me of that windows only DAW from about 8 years ago that was all .net or something and had horrible cpu issues. Name escapes me right now.
Last edited by mcnelson on Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

n/m, double post, not the droids you're looking for.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

mcnelson wrote:Windows only; reminds me of that windows only DAW from about 8 years ago that was all .net or something and had horrible latency issues. Name escapes me right now.
To be fair there are no multi-touch capable Mac's out....yet. The flipbooks from lenova, HP and Asus as well as the Windows Pro Tablet and surface book are all proper computers. Mac doesn't have anything that competes with them.
My milkshake brings all the girls to the yard

http://soundcloud.com/the-boogee-man

kev2525 wrote:
mcnelson wrote:Windows only; reminds me of that windows only DAW from about 8 years ago that was all .net or something and had horrible latency issues. Name escapes me right now.
To be fair there are no multi-touch capable Mac's out....yet. The flipbooks from lenova, HP and Asus as well as the Windows Pro Tablet and surface book are all proper computers. Mac doesn't have anything that competes with them.
I guess iPad doesn't meet that spec... or... does it?? :?

Color me interested, but not in a "wow I can't wait" way :hihi:

I have rstouch with reason on my ipad and it's dandy. Currently, I'm not really excited about getting a touchscreen as a "mainstay" but who knows.

@CPU: I've been hoping for this my whole life, and other that reaper, have been denied HARD. But hoping that because it's designed for use with lappys/tablets that someone had the common sense to optimize the CPU use like reaper. Not betting on that :lol:

@touchscreen for those that have not experienced it: It's lightyears from mouse/keyboard or physical controllers. Impossible to explain unless you've experienced it yourself but it's really slick. Still think that by and large it's a few years away (which is a bummer)

Looks nice to me. I especially like the fx suite UI .. at least, based on what little I can see on their website.

Hopefully they are successful and I can try it on my Mac someday. :party:

Always longed for a separate touch monitor to place below then main one and behind keyboard - to place daw mixer and replace the need for control surface with motorized faders.

But since these guys claim "use your favourite plugins", it would mean gestures are translated into regular keyboard+mouse operations.

So why would you need the daw to be touch enabled as such?
Is it about freedom to assign different gestures the way you want - more than Windows gestures API allow you to anyway?

From Sonar manual:

"Multi-touch
Windows 8 features support for multi-touch displays. Multi-touch allows you to use one or more fingers as an input device to complement the mouse and keyboard. Touch gestures can be used for navigating and manipulating objects. SONAR provides an enhanced user experience on touch-capable devices, with intuitive gestures that increase productivity:
Adjust knobs, faders and buttons.

Scroll and zoom in the Track view.

Scroll both horizontally and vertically in the Console view.

Scroll in the Inspector.

Drag content from the Browser, with visual feedback.

Adjust MultiDock divider/splitter.

Control Bar Transport module touch support.

Arrange windows on the screen.

Trigger cells in the Matrix view.

Enable/disable steps in the step sequencer.

"

It seems to me Lumit is just marketing something that's around like in Sonar already.
Vague memory that Reaper has some preference regarding touch stuff as well.

Interesting, i will have an eye on this.
Multi touch is great while a mouse or trackpad can be better in other situations.
As much Bitwig and other multi-touch DAW´s have nice ideas etc. none of these DAW´s or other tools for windows 10 seems to be what "real" multi touch could be.
The iPad tools are limited yes, but for multi-touch and UI wise they are still far better.
The mixture of point and click and multi-touch doesn´t work good.
If windows 10 would have more "real" multi touch apps i would buy a device in a heartbeat.
Non muti-touch tools are worthless for me on such a device.
I have the feeling the iPad Pro is far better for those tools even with all it´s limitations because developers "must" take advance of multi-touch and better UI´s while everything on win looks for me half baked yet.
I hope they include a proper virtual keyboard which can scale to the whole screen, has user customizable keys, scales, ribbons and polyphonic movements for modulation etc.
If i need to carry around a midi keyboard or a seaboard or whatever it failed for me as a muti-touch tool.
Even Bitwig´s virtual keyboard seems way to limited. Please do it better....

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”