Korg Minilogue

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

on second thought, jordan rudess might end up wearing hot pants to endorse it.
ill pass thanks.

I have the Minilogue, it sounds GREAT! It’s a bit thin on bass like others have said, especially with higher resonance settings, it does some unique sounds. I have made many presets on it, mainly synth instrument imitations (I have made a better accordion, a better flute, and another flute, as well as banjo, mandolin, and steel drums) and brass, bass (it can do some nice bass), lead, and strings sounds.

The Minilogue excels at Leads and late 70’s early 80’s style early polysynth brass. I make polysynth brass on it since they sound unique. Lead wise, it does some good squelchy leads, and has nice character to it. You can get some gamelan sounds out of it using cross and ring mod. I did that and made a great gamelan tone. Also, it has modulation of the saw and triangle wave (for saw, almost like turning it into a square wave, and for triangle, buffing and metallicizing it a lot and giving it more low end). I also made a good 60’s organ sound using the waveshaping on the triangles, that’ll get you close to the Farfisa 60’s/70’s sounds.

Also, bass is not a strong suit, yet I’ve made some pretty good basses, nothing really EDMish, but funk/fusion/smooth jazz/R&B style Moogy basses is a strong suit, growls and wobbles for dubstep not so much, since you lose a lot of low end with high resonance.

Pads, I have made. With the PWM, you can get some good strings, and also I’ve made sweep pads, which it does well.

Leads, let me tell you, this thing is a lead beast!
It can do anything from soft smooth R&B triangle portamento stuff, squeaky resonant saws and squares, brassy portamento saws, and much more leadwise. I think it’s best suited for leads and brass. The brass preset on there actually isn’t so bad for making synthwave. I’ve made an arp on it that sounds like the JP-4 octave pulse arp sound used by Nick Rhodes in Rio. I even did a sitar and an Indian wind instrument sound.

Instrument wise, like most analogs, I haven’t had trouble with harpsichord and clav using the narrow pulse waves. Sitar I made with sync, tremolo banjo and mandolin a la SH-2000 and ARP Pro-Soloist I used a saw LFO on filter with no resonance and different pulse widths. Accordion you may do easily, one that’ll sound better than the default, I’ve even made a heavy prog rock lead that sounds like an organ with LFO. The default preset I changed to a bass sound which can also be a lead.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

Sold mine. After two years of jamming but it did not make it to a finished track. Great synth for the money, though. Did not like its delay, which sounded like a noisy bitchrusher to me, but its waveshaping and play modes made it an extraordinary analog synth. Generally its output is rather low and somewhat thin. Had to boost its bass freq with heavy equalization. The res is too violent too on the bass freq and make them drop out on higher settings. Could have been solved with some upward comp or proper limiting somewhere in the chain. Apart from that, it is still good value for the money. Have too many synths and made a choice between this one and Behringer Deepmind 6. Hard choice but Deepmind’s classic DCO sound, look, and modmatrix tipped the balance to its favor. Would not say it is “better”; both synths are unique personalities with each their benefits, so it is merely a question of preference when choosing between them.

I found my Minilogue to be quite pedestrian. I think Uno has a much better sound and is almost as flexible. Even though it's just a mono synth, Uno can sound as fat as Minilogue in unison mode without too much effort.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The monologue filter robs the bass of its beef so I tend to use it more for chordal textures, layering and metallic type sounds. That said I am trading up to the XD. Also agree that the uno can cover the monophonic low end no problem.

BONES wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:41 am I found my Minilogue to be quite pedestrian.
Well, it did not deliver the scope of classic analog bread and butter sounds the way I expected it to and I found about 80% of the onboard presets to be dissapointing. But diving into it revealed its own unique character, and it turned out be a modern electro synth with particular metallic flavors when using waveshaping. Besides from trouble with low end, its high end can sound digitalish searing, chruncy, and screaming on par with an aliasing digital synth, which makes me uncomfortable. That was another issue with the presets. Had to turn down filter on most of them and turn off the delay on all of them. I made som EBMish snippets with it, which I posted somewhere in this thread (though I have removed them from my sound cloud since) and it did well, but not in any exceptional way. Just its own way. No, it is not an outstanding synth, but not a bad one for the money either. However, I would recommend any one interested to compare with Deepmind 6 before deciding. It is as cheap as minilogue now a days.

BONES wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:41 am I found my Minilogue to be quite pedestrian. I think Uno has a much better sound and is almost as flexible. Even though it's just a mono synth, Uno can sound as fat as Minilogue in unison mode without too much effort.

both are shit

AnX wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:30 pm
BONES wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:41 am I found my Minilogue to be quite pedestrian. I think Uno has a much better sound and is almost as flexible. Even though it's just a mono synth, Uno can sound as fat as Minilogue in unison mode without too much effort.

both are shit
not as shit as the sh101...

:hihi:

vurt wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:34 pm
AnX wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:30 pm

both are shit
not as shit as the sh101...

shut your fuckin mouth before i push a corkscrew down your japs eye :x

and for those not affiliated....

ooh kinky!

but not in feb, id want you in makeup :love:

vurt wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:42 pm ooh kinky!

but not in feb, id want you in makeup :love:

never without it darling

:lol:

IncarnateX wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:01 pmHowever, I would recommend any one interested to compare with Deepmind 6 before deciding. It is as cheap as minilogue now a days.
It's still about 50% more expensive here but it does have 50% more voices, full-size keys and a lot more features. I've never played with one so I can't comment on the sound but on paper it looks like better value. It's $50 more than a Minilogue XD, though, and the XD might have its measure on value.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”