Aftertouch In FL Studio?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just got my Akai mpk25 in the mail today and it's awesome! Only trouble is I noticed that FL Studio doesn't seem to recognize aftertouch. It works fine in Ableton. Anyone know how to optimize FL for aftertouch?

I need to be more specific. I want to open up Zebra 2 and make assignments for aftertouch. FL Studio recognizes channel aftertouch, but you have to manually "link to controller". Is there a way to get FL to send channel aftertouch straight out into a third party VST without having to "browse parameters" and manually connect it?

you do aftertouch the same way you do the modwheel its easiest to just do both. im assuming here you know how to link params to controllers.

start a new project with nothing in it.

now load up any 3rd party vsti

browse the parameters and locate aftertouch/modwheel

right click the param you want to link and choose "link to controller", the remote controll setting popup will appear, make sure both omni and autodetect are selected

now move your mod wheel or press your key down for aftertouch...whichever one youre doing

now delete the vsti from the project so its empty again.

save the project as a template.

close fl studio.

reopen fl studio.

go to file -> new from template and select the template you just created.

thats it, youre done. from now on modwheel and aftertouch will work, so long as you dont open from another template.

this seems like a lot of steps and a bit of a pain...but really it takes less than a minute (maybe 2 if youre not used to assigning parameters) and then youre set for good. fl studio will always open with those parameters assigned.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:you do aftertouch the same way you do the modwheel its easiest to just do both. im assuming here you know how to link params to controllers.

right click the param you want to link and choose "link to controller", the remote controll setting popup will appear, make sure both omni and autodetect are selected

now move your mod wheel or press your key down for aftertouch...whichever one youre doing

close fl studio.

reopen fl studio.

thats it, youre done. from now on modwheel and aftertouch will work, so long as you dont open from another template.

this seems like a lot of steps and a bit of a pain...but really it takes less than a minute (maybe 2 if youre not used to assigning parameters) and then youre set for good. fl studio will always open with those parameters assigned.
Thanks WyrM, this helped. I agree, it only takes a few minutes. However, I'm really surprised that this is even necessary. I can't always rely on a template. If I were at work on a project and I wanted to use a patch in a third party plugin, this would really interrupt the flow of thoughts and ultimately hinder my workflow. Why is this not automatic...y'know, like in practically any other DAW!

Sound Author wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:you do aftertouch the same way you do the modwheel its easiest to just do both. im assuming here you know how to link params to controllers.

close fl studio.

reopen fl studio.

Thanks WyrM, this helped. I agree, it only takes a few minutes. However, I'm really surprised that this is even necessary. I can't always rely on a template. If I were at work on a project and I wanted to use a patch in a third party plugin, this would really interrupt the flow of thoughts and ultimately hinder my workflow. Why is this not automatic...y'know, like in practically any other DAW!
i agree with you. its pretty absurd that its not set up that way...but it is what it is.

im pretty sure you only need to set it up once though.

yeah...i just tried it. i selected one of the basic templates...and my mw/at still worked.
ImageImageImage

Thanks again WyrM. The only reason I want to work in FL is because Signal Analyzer by RS-MET doesn't work in Ableton LOL :D

chaosWyrM wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:47 am
Sound Author wrote:

close fl studio.

reopen fl studio.

i agree with you. its pretty absurd that its not set up that way...but it is what it is.

im pretty sure you only need to set it up once though.

yeah...i just tried it. i selected one of the basic templates...and my mw/at still worked.
I've begun to try and compare DAWs in terms of setting up hardware assignments and automation. Only having Reaper and FL Studio, I assumed other DAWs were a lot better.

But I'm beginning to think that although Studio One is a lot like FL Studio, and Cubase is a PITA, there is no perfect DAW in this respect. I don't do a lot with Ableton. Is Ableton actually better - I mean does Ableton automatically assign your incoming Aftertouch to some default even without you setting it up?

It is bizarre that you need to do this, and it causes all sorts of problems by swallowing incoming CCs rather than forwarding them to the current instrument (e.g. MIDI learn doesn't work in plugins that support it, controller templates don't work etc.). You can always voice your frustration on the forums. The more people who point out how dumb the current implementation is, the higher the chances that the penny might actually drop at IL and they might fix the mess that MIDI currently is - starting off with implementing proper support for the full GM spec. I know of enough people who just assumed various things don't work in FL Studio because of how it doesn't just support MIDI messages OOTB and requires each user to set things up individually rather than it being taken care of them in the DAW.

That said, we're still at the point where the IL team don't even understand the issue here (that you need to map CCs to themselves to get them to be recognised by VSTs). So don't hold your breath. It only took ~20 years for them to understand how time signatures work :D

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”