Dual head video card suggestions?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm in the market for a new dual head video card that's NOT the Matrox G450. It has known issues with the UAD-1 card, and I want to get rid of that said problem. My main requirements are a fast RAMDAC chip, and can drive 2 15 pin D shell analog monitors. My only concern is 2D performance, NOT 3d whatsoever, as this will NOT be a gaming system. The more affordable the better of course. The G550 is going about $90 or so. If I can find more reasonable than that, I'd be happy. :D

Suggestions guys?

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

Hi Devon,

I have used both the Nvidia Geforce FX5200 and FX5900 without any problems. I also have a uad-1 in this machine, and have seen no conflicts at all.

PCClub.com, has a version of the FX5200 for 69$

http://www.pcclub.com/product_detail.cf ... o=A9602745

Hope this helps. - Scott

AMD 2600+
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
PNY FX5900
UAD-1
MOTU PCI-324
Adaptec SCSI
2 19" Viewsonic A90f+

I recently picked up two pieces of the PowerColor ATI Radeon 9200 (dual head). Anyway, I just bought them because they were heavily discounted... 29 euros, isn't it a bargain? :shock: Now let's hope it won't give me any compatibility issues... :hihi:

I don't have a UAD-1, but just throwing a different brand in the discussion! :D

Anybody with an ATI card and a UAD-1?

By the way Devon, are you sure that the G550 will not have any problems with the UAD-1? The G550 is pretty similar to the G450...

Durk wrote:By the way Devon, are you sure that the G550 will not have any problems with the UAD-1? The G550 is pretty similar to the G450...
Yes, I asked. It's something SPECIFIC to the G4xx Matrox that screws with the UAD-1. I got this directly from the Intel guy for Universal Audio.

I am looking at this card though, the ATI Radeon 7000 dual head for $32. Doesn't seem bad. Need to find the RAMDAC speed though.

http://www.partspc.com/store/product1434.html

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.

do these cards allow you to run the same high resolution on both monitors at the same time, or is one hi and one lo, I have a little amd xp2500 shuttle pc, and a 21" regular monitor and a 17" samsung widescreen lcd panel monitor. Devon do you think that $32 card would work out for me?

Hmmm.. this one is looking better actually because it flippin' lists the RAMDAC speed of 350mhz at least!

http://www.shentech.com/vigemx64duag.html

$34 + shipping. Not bad either. My G450 is 360mhz, and the picture is soooo crisp, I love it!

Stale Bread, the G450 does a 2560x1024 resolution spread across both monitors with the latest Matrox drivers. Before, it ran in seperate resolution for both monitors, but I matched them. I just notice the image quality on my G450 is better than I had for the Radeon and another OLD card, which I believe the RAMDAC was 200mhz (it was blurry, and the colors bled) Once I replaced it with another video card, the problem went away.

Devon

Well there is a reason the Matrox cards are more expensive...the DO look better. It's not just RAMDAC speed that determines that, so be prepared for some quality loss if you move away from Matrox.

cheers.

husker wrote:Well there is a reason the Matrox cards are more expensive...the DO look better. It's not just RAMDAC speed that determines that, so be prepared for some quality loss if you move away from Matrox.

cheers.
Such as....?

Devon

QUALITY! Same reason 24/96 converters don't all sound the same....

You've said yourself it your Matrox looks good, just don't expect every card with the same RAMDAC 'spec' to look the same.

Matrox call it:

UltraSharp Display Output technology:
- Highest quality output with 10-bit gamma correctable DACs

If you really want to read about the difference, this covers it...once again (as with audio) it's all about the filters!

http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/tech ... _displ.pdf

husker wrote:QUALITY! Same reason 24/96 converters don't all sound the same....

You've said yourself it your Matrox looks good, just don't expect every card with the same RAMDAC 'spec' to look the same.

Matrox call it:

If you really want to read about the difference, this covers it...once again (as with audio) it's all about the filters!

That's what I was looking for! Thanks! :D

Devon

DevonB wrote:I am looking at this card though, the ATI Radeon 7000 dual head for $32. Doesn't seem bad. Need to find the RAMDAC speed though.
Radeon 7000: 300 MHz
Radeon 7500: 350 MHz
Radeon 9200: 400 MHz

I'm glad I picked up the latter... :) Try to find a discount somewhere... ;) Too bad that my store doesn't ship to the US...

husker wrote:QUALITY! Same reason 24/96 converters don't all sound the same....

Matrox call it:

Aren't the filters irrelevant when using the digital out (DVI) of a video card?

Durk wrote:Aren't the filters irrelevant when using the digital out (DVI) of a video card?
I will be using the analog outs though.

Devon

DevonB wrote:
Durk wrote:Aren't the filters irrelevant when using the digital out (DVI) of a video card?

Devon
Ah I see! I thought you were LCD-only... ;)

Durk wrote:
DevonB wrote:

Devon
Ah I see! I thought you were LCD-only... ;)
I am, with 15 pin analog. I didn't want to forego the expense of DVI card and DVI flatplanels. I got the flatpanels almost a year ago for $399 each for 17"-ers. It was a nightmare researching down to 17", good price, and good quality with no dead pixels.

Devon

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”